2013 Nissan Altima

7.9

Based on 281 Ratings for the 2013 - 2017 models.

Good highway cruiser with flaws

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "See below"

Cons: "See below"

"After doing a lot of research and driving all of the mid-size sedans, I purchased my 2013 Nissan Altima SV loaded with all options in December 2013. I now have 17,000 miles on the vehicle. Listed below are what I consider the pros and cons: Pros: 1) Quiet ride on highway 2) Responsive handling and steering 3) Good brakes 4) Comfortable interior 5) Excellent highway cruiser 6) Fuel efficient (I average 30 mpg) 7) Nice sounding stereo (Bose speakers) 8) Remote car starter 9) Good looking vehicle 10) Comfortable back seat. Can seat 3 adults if they are average size. Cons: 1) Engine/transmission is noisy when starting from a stop. From 0 to 40 mph, the car is not very enjoyable to drive. I did not notice this during my test drive. At lower speeds, the car is noisy with a fair amount of vibration. If you have driven a car with manual transmission, it feels and sounds like you are starting from a stop in 2nd gear (when you should have started in first gear). Because of this, I am thinking of selling the car and purchasing something that is more enjoyable to drive around town. 2)Trunk lid has large u-shaped brackets that eat up a lot of room when trying to close the trunk with a full load of cargo. Seem like an outdated design to me. 3) Computer screen cuts in an out repeatedly. 4) Sun visors are way too small. 5) Back up camera has poor quality picture compared to other manufacturers. If you need a car for mostly highway driving and you want good fuel efficiency, this may be a decent car selection for you. Once the car reaches 45 mph or higher, it is relatively quiet and a pleasant car to drive. However, if a significant proportion of your driving is city driving, I would not recommend this vehicle due to the noise and vibrations of the transmission/engine when starting from a stop and at low speeds."

Outstanding

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

"I completed loads of research on this vehicle, including conversation with a Nissan engineer. Tested numerous hybrids, mid size non hybrids, the car was head and shoulders better than anything on the road in the price range. Looks higher end, both inside and out. After 2000 miles love the ride, handling, MPG ave 33, seats ARE all that, most comfortable drivers car seat I've ever had, overall good fit and finish. Heading down hill the CVT 2.5 takes some time to get used to. Strange feeling with increasing RPM. The 4 banger delivers strong passing power on flats and up hill. Enjoy!"

Excellent Auto

By on Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"We have owned this 2013 altima since last oct. It has been a real joy to drive in every way. We just returned form a road trip to ft. worth, drove a total of 1600 miles. Our avg. mpg for the entire trip 41 when we pulled into our driveway. When we left texas for home our avg. was 40.3 so it took about 700 miles of driving to achieve an increase to 41 Drove on cruise most of the time, in the past I have gotten in the 39 mpg range The ride is very comfortable."

CVT ISSUES otherwise very nice car

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Exterior and interior design, gas mileage"

Cons: "Noise and vibration extremely high"

"I have owned my 2.5 cv for one month and already it's been back to the dealer 3 times for the same lugging and vibration noise issues which I experiece on light throttle acceleration from a stop at around 1500 rpm. I have lodged a complaint with Nissan Customer Care and have been assigned a Regional Specialist to my case. In my first conversation with the specialist, I was imformed that Nissan is aware of this problem and is working on a more permanent solution. Meanwhile, Nissan is having serpentine belts and belt tensioners replaced in an effort to alleviate noise and vibration. Yesterday my vehicle was oufitted with the new belt and tensioner. I did noticed a fractional noise reduction but the swap did not significantly alleviate the problem. Unfortunately, Nissan is attempting to address the symptom not the root source of the problem... that being the CVT programming. With a simple CVT reprogram offered to those of us who are sensitive to the lugging noise and vibration, Nissan could make this issue disappear practically overnight. Instead Nissan is trying "band aid" fixes like belts and tensioners, presumably, in an effort to keep their EPA estimates intact. At the same time they seem to be abandoning longtime loyal customers. This is an otherwise extremely nice automobile if it were not for the CVT issues and I am hopeful Nissan wakes up and gets serious about resolving this very annoying and frustating issue at once before potential owners start looking elsewhere in this very competive market and before frustrated owners start bailing out."

My 3rd Altima

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Pros: "Ride, MPG, Value, Style"

Cons: "Maybe the reliability"

"My first Altima was a 2009 2.5 S, then a 2013 3.5 SL, now a 2015 2.5 SV and this may be the best of the three. Very smooth ride. Very comfortable interior. Great MPG. It is a 4 door family sedan, not a race car, but the off the line speed is fine. I test drove the Accord, 6, Optima, Fusion, Legacy, and the Altima for me was the better all round car."