2003 Nissan Altima

8.3

Based on 1293 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

My first "adult" car and a GREAT choice!

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reason: Over the manual

Pros: "price, fun to drive, roomy, comfortable interior"

Cons: "No a/c in the back seat"

"I bought this car with 5 miles on it at 21, one year out of undergrad wanting something reliable as I'd had a few beaters fail on me. Three words: Best Purchase EVER!!! I am so glad I bought this car and not another mid-size car that I was considering at the same time (Mazda 6). It was HUGE (I moved across country in this car alone--ok, to be fair, I mailed most of my stuff, but still!!). I moved from apartment to apartment to my home in this car. It got me through 8 great years that included cross-country moves, grad school and marriage. I never had any real issues with it. Other than regular maintenance, all I ever had to do was charge the A/C (I live in AZ) and replace the tires. I kept it garaged so I suppose that's how the exterior held up so well, but all in all, it was a fabulous car. I live in a small city with few highways and LOTS of slow drivers so I was truly through with the manual transmission, but otherwise, I'd always intended to drive this car to 10 years (or at least 100K miles!), mainly because I did overpay--who doesn't on their first car?-- I just couldn't do the stick anymore. I don't miss it because I love my new TL too. I considered a new Altima, but I just can't with the CVTs. I just want to say if you're in the market for a reliable start and go car that will run well and quietly, drive comfortably for 2 or 5 and hold 4 patio chaise lounges in the trunk (granted, they stuck out--just not more than 2' which would've required a flag), this is the car for you! Of course, make sure you get one with an owner who actually did some maintenance, otherwise it's really not the car's fault...."

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND THIS CAR!

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pros: "Great price, DEPENDABLE, low maintenance costs"

"I've owned this car for 6 years, after buying it in 2005 at two years old. I never had a major problem with it, only had to maintain it. Drove it in the mountains, across country, and in town. I am only getting rid of it now because I'm leaving the country for two years, and when I return, I plan on buying a Nissan truck."

Going to be a favorite

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Passing Power, Mileage"

Cons: "With preventative maintenence- nothing really..."

"03 altima S 4dr auto. I bought this car a month ago from someone who didn't really take care of it unfortunately. There was some front end damage from a deer and it wasn't put back together very well. This led to me spending about 500 dollars for throttle body, TPS and some other parts when it just ended up being wiring. Even with all of this I love this car so far. Its the most comfortable non-luxury car ive driven or ridden in, its pretty simple as far as repairs (that dont involve the ECU) and has nice passing power. I dont beat on the car but I am late for work sometimes if you know what i mean. The lowest avg mpg ive seen is 24.2 mpg the highest i've seen (with premium gas) was 34.2 MPG... I dont know how accurate the MPG on the dash is but seems close to me. I like taking road trips and I have a feeling this summer this car is going to grow on me. Downside- the guy who owned it before me... And there are a few problems that 02-04 are notorious for. One is a recall that has to do with fuel mixture which i got fixed. The Power valve screws sometimes get loose and get sucked into the engine where they smash up the walls your pistons ride in. The screen closest to the engine on the cat sometimes burns up. ALL OF THESE ARE PREVENTABLE. I hate to end it on that note but if i had this car since it was new i feel it would make it 350k mi easy. LOVE THIS CAR!"

nice dependable

By on Thursday, April 2, 2015

Pros: "great price and fun to drive"

Cons: "engine mount."

"I love this car. It is extremly reliable. The only problem i had was had to replace two engine mounts which was a recall item. My car has 130,000 miles on it and I have put in about 3500 worth of repairs since I bought it. Luckily it doesnt have the problem with the timing belt which has to be replaced ever 100,000 miles. I thought the mechanic was lying, but turns out its true. Very reliable and not bumpy like the accord."

Perfect fit

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, comfortable ride, smooth engine"

Cons: "Lacking power, Transmission is a little rough"

"I actually traded down to this vehicle from an 08 Altima V6 SE. I bought the 08 brand new and got sick of the payments and the gas mileage. This car felt like home the second I sat down for the test drive. The 2.5 four cylinder doesn't have quite the smoothness or the punch that the 3.5 V6 does but it gets around town without too much effort and without revving to the moon like most four cylinder engines. The gas mileage is a huge plus and there was no loss in comfort or ride quality, even with going back five years (I actually kind of prefer the seats in the 03 to the 08). I miss my V6 but this 03 is exactly what I needed at this point in time. Great car!"