2002 Nissan Altima

8.3

Based on 1293 Ratings for the 2002 - 2006 models.

My first "adult" car and a GREAT choice!

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reason: Over the manual

Pros: "price, fun to drive, roomy, comfortable interior"

Cons: "No a/c in the back seat"

"I bought this car with 5 miles on it at 21, one year out of undergrad wanting something reliable as I'd had a few beaters fail on me. Three words: Best Purchase EVER!!! I am so glad I bought this car and not another mid-size car that I was considering at the same time (Mazda 6). It was HUGE (I moved across country in this car alone--ok, to be fair, I mailed most of my stuff, but still!!). I moved from apartment to apartment to my home in this car. It got me through 8 great years that included cross-country moves, grad school and marriage. I never had any real issues with it. Other than regular maintenance, all I ever had to do was charge the A/C (I live in AZ) and replace the tires. I kept it garaged so I suppose that's how the exterior held up so well, but all in all, it was a fabulous car. I live in a small city with few highways and LOTS of slow drivers so I was truly through with the manual transmission, but otherwise, I'd always intended to drive this car to 10 years (or at least 100K miles!), mainly because I did overpay--who doesn't on their first car?-- I just couldn't do the stick anymore. I don't miss it because I love my new TL too. I considered a new Altima, but I just can't with the CVTs. I just want to say if you're in the market for a reliable start and go car that will run well and quietly, drive comfortably for 2 or 5 and hold 4 patio chaise lounges in the trunk (granted, they stuck out--just not more than 2' which would've required a flag), this is the car for you! Of course, make sure you get one with an owner who actually did some maintenance, otherwise it's really not the car's fault...."

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND THIS CAR!

By on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pros: "Great price, DEPENDABLE, low maintenance costs"

"I've owned this car for 6 years, after buying it in 2005 at two years old. I never had a major problem with it, only had to maintain it. Drove it in the mountains, across country, and in town. I am only getting rid of it now because I'm leaving the country for two years, and when I return, I plan on buying a Nissan truck."

Going to be a favorite

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Passing Power, Mileage"

Cons: "With preventative maintenence- nothing really..."

"03 altima S 4dr auto. I bought this car a month ago from someone who didn't really take care of it unfortunately. There was some front end damage from a deer and it wasn't put back together very well. This led to me spending about 500 dollars for throttle body, TPS and some other parts when it just ended up being wiring. Even with all of this I love this car so far. Its the most comfortable non-luxury car ive driven or ridden in, its pretty simple as far as repairs (that dont involve the ECU) and has nice passing power. I dont beat on the car but I am late for work sometimes if you know what i mean. The lowest avg mpg ive seen is 24.2 mpg the highest i've seen (with premium gas) was 34.2 MPG... I dont know how accurate the MPG on the dash is but seems close to me. I like taking road trips and I have a feeling this summer this car is going to grow on me. Downside- the guy who owned it before me... And there are a few problems that 02-04 are notorious for. One is a recall that has to do with fuel mixture which i got fixed. The Power valve screws sometimes get loose and get sucked into the engine where they smash up the walls your pistons ride in. The screen closest to the engine on the cat sometimes burns up. ALL OF THESE ARE PREVENTABLE. I hate to end it on that note but if i had this car since it was new i feel it would make it 350k mi easy. LOVE THIS CAR!"

nice dependable

By on Thursday, April 2, 2015

Pros: "great price and fun to drive"

Cons: "engine mount."

"I love this car. It is extremly reliable. The only problem i had was had to replace two engine mounts which was a recall item. My car has 130,000 miles on it and I have put in about 3500 worth of repairs since I bought it. Luckily it doesnt have the problem with the timing belt which has to be replaced ever 100,000 miles. I thought the mechanic was lying, but turns out its true. Very reliable and not bumpy like the accord."

Perfect fit

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, comfortable ride, smooth engine"

Cons: "Lacking power, Transmission is a little rough"

"I actually traded down to this vehicle from an 08 Altima V6 SE. I bought the 08 brand new and got sick of the payments and the gas mileage. This car felt like home the second I sat down for the test drive. The 2.5 four cylinder doesn't have quite the smoothness or the punch that the 3.5 V6 does but it gets around town without too much effort and without revving to the moon like most four cylinder engines. The gas mileage is a huge plus and there was no loss in comfort or ride quality, even with going back five years (I actually kind of prefer the seats in the 03 to the 08). I miss my V6 but this 03 is exactly what I needed at this point in time. Great car!"

LOVE My NISSAN!

By on Monday, December 5, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, sleek, good price"

Cons: "minor scratches"

"I have had my nissan for four years now and it has been the best car i have owned. It is definitely the most reliable car! I can honestly say it has never let me down. I also love the look of it, it is very sleek and i always get compliments for the car. I love the way it drives, very smooth and controlled. It also gets pretty good MPG about 23 MPG. I do a lot of highway driving so it is very reliable."

Excellent Buy

By on Monday, July 6, 2009

"I've had this car since new, Jan 2006, Approx. 36K miles. The mechanicals are all working fine and the body integrity is very good. Very little sound in the passenger cabin unless you really floor it. During a recent 600 mile trip, hiway mileage was a solid 32 mpg with the A/C on much of the time. In town gas mileage is a consistent 24 mpg. I will keep mine for a while. I recommend this car highly to anyone who is in the market for a reliable used sedan that will seat 4 very comfortably and deliver good gas mileage without repair expense."

this car drive and runs perfect

By on Thursday, December 29, 2016

Pros: "HID head lights"

Cons: "need new back springs"

"This was my fathers car he bout the car brand new in 2005 with 0mils we live in Newark NJ he use to work 22 mils away from home so everyday the car was doing highway miles for the pass 9 years he just pass-down the car to me. most of the parts that been change on the cars they were change because they were old and getting rusty, all the oil changes had been done on time. the car still runs like new i dint want to sale it but i need a SUV, now that i have a 3 month all daughter. car is clean paint is shine almost as if it was new."

Almost 7 years and going strong!

By on Saturday, October 5, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, value, dependable, big trunk & gas tank."

Cons: "Only 21 mpg."

"I bought my Altima in Nov 2006, got a fantastic deal ($2,000 cash back) since I bought it near year end and accepted what they had left on the lot. I mainly used it to go 6 miles back and forth to work with longer trips every other weekend. I've always averaged 21 mpg, a little better with all highway driving. I love the 20 gal gas tank and the roominess of the car, both length and width. Unfortunately, NYC is not a good place to keep a car's body unblemished ....... between parallel parking bumper dents/scratches, narrow parking lot spaces fostering scratched/dented doors and winter potholes, the body looks as if it's been through the mill. I still love "my baby" though! When I move out of NYC and save up enough cash for a new Altima, I'll trade in my low mileage baby for a new one and get another year end bargain."

A great car

By on Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"This car is very fun to drive only issue it has is the torque steer but other than that I love this car. has been a reliable car for me and my family"

Worst Nissan I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"I bought this car used at about 80,000 thinking it would go for over 200k miles because my last one did. At 131k miles the engine is pretty much dead and likely has a cracked ring. My mechanic also sees a small crack in the cylinder wall that he says he's never seen the likes of and may be a casting problem. This car has a very cheap interior and many of the plastic parts have broken or scratched easily. I trusted the Nissan brand when I bought this thing but is has burned 2 qts of oil every 3,000 miles since I got it. Very bad engine. Glad I was able to drive it long enough to pay it off at least. Bad car!"

lemon

By on Thursday, January 21, 2010

"all nissan altimas in this year range have problems once they hit the 100 thousand mile range.....the engine, head gaskets, and pre-cat keep messing up due to a malfunction that there was a recall too....however the recall did not fix the underlying problem and even after getting a new catlyac converter the same problems happens again and it eventually causes damage to the engine...its jut a revolving problem....the worst car i've ever owned...i'll stick to driving camrys at least they are predicatble and reliable!!!!"

best vehicle I have ever owned and driven.

By on Thursday, February 9, 2017

Pros: "best value ever - lowest cost of ownership"

"281K miles. One owner. One driver. the car has never been to a car dealership. The car has never failed to operate as designed. It still has original trans fluid and coolant. Only oil, batteries, tires, brakes, shocks, wiper blades, windshields have been required over the past 15 years. Fun to drive, great to look at, awesome power and good fuel economy."

Very dependable and good gas mileage

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage great"

Cons: "no air vents in the backseat a must in Texas."

"This was one of the best cars I have owned. It is roomy inside, handles well and gets good gas mileage. The only down side was the air vents were always blowing in my face and the back seat didn't have air vents. Otherwise this is a great car."

the best car i have had yet!

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive!!!!"

Cons: "doesnt have an mp3 plug"

"i love my leather seats, also the seats are almost the size of chairs very comfortable!! the sunroof is cool. and it has a bose system and a 5 dise cd player, the truck has an awesome amount of space. it is a great car to travel in< the gas mileage is great, i can go 350 miles on a full tank of gas!But i would have to say my favorite thing about my car would have to be the engine. it runs so smooth, and you will never be the last person to get anywere. this car is ready to go!!!"

AWESOME BUY BUY BUY BUY

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pros: "POWERFUL NO ISSUES BEAUTIFUL FRONT INTERIOR"

Cons: "NONE"

"This car gives the only finest quality of transportation to be seen on this road. It is very reliable, safe, and has never had a major repair unless i got my back bumper knocked off. When the Nissan company recalled the Altima. It was one of the only cars that didn't get recalled."

Nothing Compares!

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "Horrible turn radius"

"The Bose Premium Sound System is incredible. I love the electric blue color because my car is easy to see in heavy traffic and/or at night. It's comfortable, drives well (with the exception of the turn radius - that stinks) and is without a doubt the best car I've ever owned! I'm looking at the new Nissan Altimas and none compare to my car. It's sad because to purchase a new Altima is downgrading from the 2003 I own now."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pros: "great to drive. Nice a long trips"

"I love this car. I have 181,300 miles and wondering how many more I will be able to get out of it. Have had hardly any problems. regular maintenance Would love to buy another."

One of my all time favorite cars

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"I have enjoyed driving this car for years. It is roomy and rides very comfortably and gets good gas mileage (26-27). With 115,000 miles, it has only had a few minor maintenance issues and continues to run great. I have driven newer Altimas and find them to be equally fun to drive. I would get a new one, but this one will probably last another 100,000 miles first."

Excellent vehicle overall

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "Great car for the money, spacious for 4 adults."

Cons: "Style is dated, but its 8 years old"

"8 years old with no problems. Could use shocks, but that is a regular wear item like brakes and tires. Gas mileage averages 22-25 on my 40 mile round trip commute of mixed city and highway driving. Max on the hwy is 29/30 MPG. Good power for a four cylinder engine."

Superb Car

By on Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pros: "Price, Space, features"

Cons: "A bit long in size,"

"Nice Car. Not Costly, not cheap. Excellent interior Space. No Major issues. Can run upto 250K I think."

The 3.5SE Rips!

By on Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Best car I've ever owned. I had two maximas before this, 97GXE and 2000SE. Both of them had a quieter cabin at highway speed than the Altima. That's why I gave only gave it a 4. Not a big deal to me but some people might care. Other than that it's very comfortable. The seats are great. I could drive this car forever. One pet peave is the stupid curved display on the heat/AC. It manages to reflect the sun at any possible angle so you can never read it. Duh! So you move your hand over it when you want to read it. No biggie. Performance is great! It's quicker and handles better than both of my maximas. Turn off the traction control button and you have 240 horses teamed with a skyline suspension. Lots of fun. It's the maxima engine in a lighter car with a better suspension. I can take rotarys at 50 without sliding and barely starting to squeal. It also has surprisingly good mileage for a beefy car thanks to the variable timing. I get 27 mpg on the highway at an average speed of 75 to 80. On the Auto trans model 75mph is only 2500rpm. That's not even half way to the 6600 redline. No need to settle for the four cylinder. I really like the body design. It looks slick and new even though it's 7 years old. The paint job is also high quality. Not one paint chip after 7 New England winters. I have the tannish-goldish color which is great if you're lazy like me. I hardly ever wash it because it doesn't show the dirt. An occasional rainstorm is usually enough. The interior is roomy and comfortable. The trunk is way bigger than you would expect. I can fit my kids BMX bike in there without even moving the seats. I can fit my Cannondale road bike in there if I do move the seats. I drive this car hard and I've only had one problem. Mass Airflow sensor died and cost me $750 at the dealer. I figure that's a fluke. I never even had to get it aligned. I'm shocked at that because like I said I drive it hard and there's plenty of potholes around here. Driving Nissans for the past 10 years I've started to take reliability for granted. The best thing I like is that I have a fast car that doesn't look fast so the cops don't even notice you. The insurance is also quite a bit cheaper than the Maximas. Nice perk. Never had an accident but that's probably because I can out maneuver almost anything. Great brakes too. The Bose system is nice but a little piercing in the mids. Most normal people woulod never notice but I'm an audiophile so I'm picky. Most people will love the sound. The fact that I still haven't gotten around to installing my 2x12 800watt aluminum subs should tell you that the Bose sound system is pretty darned good."

Purchased

By on Friday, June 26, 2009

"I bought this car with high hopes that it would be of god quality and last for a while. It has lived up to both. This car is my families main work horse; we drive it everywhere. I have 99,000 miles on it and the only problem I've encountered was getting some bad gas which was remedied with some fuel treatment. Hands down, I got more than I would ever imagined from this vehicle."

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"At 95000 thousand miles I had to replace the gas pump, the catalytic conveter, the bar links, the alternator. The service engine light came on and the mechanic said, it is something that hadto be done by the dealer. I took the car to the dealer to set the idle speed and they said that the car had a vacuum leak and the solenoid had to be replaced. I had to pay $200 bucks for that.I won't buy a nissan anymore, I am done with nissan. I forgot to tell that I had to replace two motor mounts, the water pump and the thermostat."

Very nice sports sedan

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"I bought the car in June 2005. I paid $21500 for a 2005 3.5SE brand new in MA. I have 44K miles on the car. I have replace 2 tires on the car at 40k. The other two should be good for another 10k. The car is very powerful. The only thing I have to complain about are that the fron and passenger seats are not comfortable. maybe if they were leather they wouldbe better. Currently, my driver's side seat squicks a little bit for some reason. I have only done oil changes. I have been seeing 23 mpg in the city and 27-29 mpg on highway. I have 26.5 mpg with 60% highway and 40% city driving. This car has actually been better on gas then some 4-cycle cars I have driven. I have noticed that premium fuel has given me better performance and better gas mileage. i reccomend people using premium. It will make the engine happier and in the long run in prevents mainentance costs."