ZIP code

2001 Nissan Altima

Based on 494 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

First Car\

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cons: "inside color"

"This is my first car and has been easy to fix and extremely easy to mainttain. I love my car and although it is small it still fits everything i need even when i move around."

very good value and reliability

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "reliable, economical, good fuel economy"

Cons: "road noise, comfort, not a bmw"

"For the money, I couldn't have done better in its class. This car was thousands cheaper than comparable honda or toyota models and I've only had minor routine maintenance costs. I've owned the car since 20K and have about 150K now on it - I've replaced the alternator, the tires, shocks/struts, given it one tune up, and changed the oil about every 5K miles. it doesn't leak any fluids. It's fairly comfortable. road noise is average or higher slightly. fuel economy is about 30 mpg avg (still). I've taken winter and off road conditions in this car. and I've never been stranded in it....I'd rather be driving a 7 series BMW, or a BSA...but...."

Best car I owned

By on Friday, December 9, 2011

Pros: "cheap, good power, good fuel milleage, confortable"

Cons: "weak stock brakes."

"I bought this car used with 35.000 miles, had only have todo regular maintnance, really strong motor and Tranny, suspension and brakes not the best but i have upgraded them and never had a problem again. Mine is still running strong at 240.000 miles, would definatly recomend buying this car, just like anything else if you do regular maintnance it will last forever."

One of the most reliable vehicles I have ever seen

By on Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pros: "Reliability and excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "Seats are stiff and not very comfortable"

"My family has driven this car for over ten years now. We have performed minimal upkeep and the car just continues to run. The only defect is the odomoter has not worked for many years. I estimate that there is nearly 400,000 miles on it and I have not made one single repair that has cost more than $300.oo."

Been a great car for 13 years

By on Sunday, January 2, 2011

"Bought car new in 1998 and it now has 184,000 miles and charging hard on 200,000. Only non-standard repairs were a CV boot/right axle at about 150,000k and a new clutch (it's a manual) at 165,000. That's it! It's been a great vehicle for me."

dependable

By on Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"I have had very few issues with this car and it has never left me stranded unless it was do to a dead battery. had it (and still have it) for 10 yrs with 180k on it. this jewel is a tank that wont quit. City or highway, it makes the trek"

Best buy ever!

By on Sunday, May 30, 2010

"In 2005 I purchased a '99 Altima with 90k miles that had been through 3 previous owners and had not been very well maintained. Due to those circumstances I ended up having to put some money into it right from the begining. It's now 2010 and I unfortunately just had to retire the car with a grand total of 213k miles. After reciving a bad oil change the oil pump broke and I considered having the engine replaced, but was advised against doing so by several mechanics due to the high mileage of the car. I can't wait to purchase another Altima and drive the next one to 300k miles! I spend ALOT of time in my vehicles driving across country and my Altima never failed to get me from point A to B, was comfortable and large enough for me to practically live out of!"

By on Monday, February 9, 2009

"I have had this car since 1999. This car has only been in the shop for maintenance; has never giving me any type of mechanical problems. I see my future just driving NISSAN!!!"

Great frist car

By on Thursday, January 29, 2009

"never had any problem with this car. Just change the oil and go."

best car ever

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"I have 163,000 miles on this precious car and have owned it for 10 years since it was new. Only did oil changes, new tires, brakes, battery. I am buying a new Altima but keeping this one also for our second car. I feel it will still do another 200,000 miles, without much expense."

This car saved my life

By on Monday, November 5, 2007

"I just bought one of these used in April and it has been the best car i've ever driven - smooth ride, great gas mileage, amazing handling. I was involved in an accident a few days ago in my beloved Altima, and the cops said they can't believe that my car didn't flip. If I had been in my old car, I probably wouldn't be here right now. This car took on a tractor trailer and came out of it looking like it only got hit by a big Dodge Ram."

Amazingly reliable

By on Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Pros: "EXTREMELY reliable, comfortable, M.I USA (TN)"

Cons: "paint fades or chips (esp. on the roof)"

"This is my second Nissan Altima. I bought it new in 1999. Both Nissans have been extremely reliable and havnt needed any MAJOR mechanical repairs. I still drive the care a few times a week. It now has 206,000 miles. The only mechanical repairs that have been done are: new altinator at 198k miles, 2 new o2 scensors at around 150k miles, and a new power window motor for driver side. None of the repairs were very expensive, the altinator being the most at 350. I have kept up with oil changes but not always exactly on time. Everything still works properly (power windows, cruise control, power seats, stereo, etc.) My previouse Altima, a 1995 model, was given to my sister and also still runs at near 300k miles. I am now a loyal Nissan customer because of these cars!!"

reliable and trustworthy ... love my car

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Pros: "Fits me to a tee ... easy to drive."

Cons: "small trunk"

"It's an ole car but I have never had any problems with it. There is no rust, few bumps and scratches, beautiful maroon paint finish and presents itself beautifully. I love my car and it fits me well. I'm small and today's cars are too big."

Reliability is below Honda - Toyota - Suburu

By on Thursday, May 26, 2016

Pros: "roomy, sporty for a 4cyl, average reliability"

Cons: "its not toyota reliable"

"I have had 97 Altima stick shift and 1999 altima automatic. This review is for my current one, 99 GXE automatic. Overall, the vehicle is roomy for all passengers and has decent trunk space. The car is peppy and handles highway speeds well. The ride is bumpy but acceleration and steering are adequate for commuting. I bought it at 50k miles and have put another 40k miles on it in three years with long commutes. It only died once, when the battery died on me. I have replaced- alternator, waterpump, battery, inexpensive steering components,valve cover gasket (oil leak), trunk latch, keychain remote died (did not replace), master window control module, sound system and currently the engine light is on for EVAP issues, which the mechanic has let ride for now. The rear frame had a rust hole which needed welding. I stay on top of fluid replacements (trans, brake, oil) and I am aware of the intake manifold issues from my 97, which i expect to happen on my 99 shortly. Its reliable, but i always know something will be needed at inspection other than basic stuff so I can't call it bulletproof like other honda, suburus and toyotas I have had prior. But, i do drive alot, drive it hard and i knew what I was getting my I bought the 2nd one. Altima is more fun to drive than camry and civic. So, if you get the car for a decent price and it has service records, it will work out for you if you go into to it expecting to spend some money every year."

BEST VEHICLE I had Owned in my life

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "The car has not down issues. TLC it & LOYAL return"

Cons: "None one at all. Super Vehicle, just care it well."

"Never left me down. Pre-Maintenance had been the secret. Engine, as it's today, am sure can make double plus mileages if keep maintenance as I had done ni. Have 3 of them.Certainly had been all of them top cars. Even You purhase a used one, and You are mechanicaly minded, amd sure, You'll be able to fix it at Your pocket budgat. Used always Premiun Gasoline. Top brand Syntect Oil 5-50W Lucas Aditives, Fuel and Oil. Great Mileages with A/C - Town 30 Avge. Travel 38/43 P-Gl. Walmart Tires, without change size, best for car weight. Oil Changes every 25.000 miles. Oil Filters every 7.000 miles between oil changes. Fuel filter, every 6 month. O'Ralleys Collant full strenght best one. Brakes every 60k miles average. Just keep details ahead of true maintenance. Got the car new in April 1998."

would buy another one

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "comfortable and practical"

"I have owned this car for almost 11 years. Bought it used when it was 2 years old. At the time it was the "fanciest" car I ever owned, with the moonroof and multiple cd changer. I have loved this vehicle. Extremely reliable, comfortable, very good on gas. It was certainly worth every penny I paid for it and then some."

best car I've ever owned

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "top notch reliability and good fuel efficiency"

Cons: "not the best looking car"

"Bought used in 2006 with a about 50,000 miles & now has almost 160,000. Had to replace brakes about 3 times but that may be due to my husband's inefficient driving style. Just bought 2nd battery (Jan 2014) and only other major repair I just had done was alternator replaced & had a leak in radiator hose. Black leather interior has held up near perfectly. I'm keeping it as long as I can & it's worth far more than the $1,200 or so trade in value to me."

This car can take a hit!

By on Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pros: "Can take a hit like a champ and keep driving!"

Cons: "Its difficult to fix anything yourself"

"I got into two accidents with this vehicle and it has saved my life twice. First hit was a 60mph hit off a highway median. The only damage was front bumber fell off, back tire blew and a minor reverse transmission problem. The fatal hit was from the front end when someone ran a red light. This car was a beast and took both hits like a champ, with my only injury being from hitting my head on the drivers side window. Nissan outdid themselves with the collision aspect of this vehicle. I am omw to purchase a new altima, as I am now very partial to this vehicle."

Great first car

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Looked kinda sporty with the sunroof"

Cons: "I don't like the shape of the trunk!"

"I got this as my first car, a little expensive as a first, but sporty enough for me! I love it!"

Good Economical Car, Very Reliable, Handles Well

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Economical, reliable, fun to drive, Good Mpgs"

Cons: "Could use more power, Cramped back seat, Flimsy"

"I own a 2001 Nissan Altima SE, it is my first car. So far it has been very reliable with no mechanical problems whatsoever. It is also good on gas, I get about 18 MPG in mostly city driving. The front seats are suprisingly roomy and comfortable. The stereo is very good but the speakers are poor quality. The AC is cold. The 2.4 liter engine is suprisingly quick, but as with any car more horespower is always desired. This car handles excellent in dry weather, but when it rains or snows... BE CAREFUL! This car is light and doesnt have ABS or traction control so it is easy to lose control. Also the car doesnt really feel that solid, the doors and trunk are very light and it doesnt make you feel that safe."

Great car

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "Good price for middle of the road sedan."

"I bought this car used and cheap. I have been driving it for 4 years now. It has over 200,000 miles and still runs great! I definitely recommend buying an Altima!"

Great car, great value

By on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pros: "Best value for a great handling car"

Cons: "Front bumper too low, hit cement blocks while pkg"

"Great handling, nice features and options, leans towards luxury without luxury price, gets great mileage, comfortable on long road trips, inexpensive to maintain."

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pros: "reliable, sporty, great gas mileage, sturdy"

Cons: "no map light"

"This car is incredibly reliable! It is a 5-speed GXE and I still have the original clutch. It has been incredibly reliable and I've only spent about $2500 on repairs in the 13 years that I've owned it. I've owned Toyotas and Mitsubishis and, by far, this is the best. I would buy another Nissan in a heartbeat."

fantastic car!

By on Monday, September 5, 2011

Pros: "fun to drve, handles nicely, 6 CD changer"

Cons: "no jack to plug in my ipod, could use better gas milage"

"I'm 17, a ew driver and just got my car 4 months ago. Unfortunatley I was in an accident with it which was not my fault. I'm pretty sure my car is totaled now and it is not drivable. however I loved this car, it got me where I was going and did a great job at it. I paid $7k for it and got $4k worth of repairs done on it, which i now see was far too much, however the car was fantastic."

nissan gxe

By on Friday, June 11, 2010

"good car reliable and safe very little problems with it its a good back and fourth to work car little maintance and overall this is a good car."