1998 Nissan Altima

Based on 495 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

Reliability is below Honda - Toyota - Suburu

By on Thursday, May 26, 2016

Pros: "roomy, sporty for a 4cyl, average reliability"

Cons: "its not toyota reliable"

"I have had 97 Altima stick shift and 1999 altima automatic. This review is for my current one, 99 GXE automatic. Overall, the vehicle is roomy for all passengers and has decent trunk space. The car is peppy and handles highway speeds well. The ride is bumpy but acceleration and steering are adequate for commuting. I bought it at 50k miles and have put another 40k miles on it in three years with long commutes. It only died once, when the battery died on me. I have replaced- alternator, waterpump, battery, inexpensive steering components,valve cover gasket (oil leak), trunk latch, keychain remote died (did not replace), master window control module, sound system and currently the engine light is on for EVAP issues, which the mechanic has let ride for now. The rear frame had a rust hole which needed welding. I stay on top of fluid replacements (trans, brake, oil) and I am aware of the intake manifold issues from my 97, which i expect to happen on my 99 shortly. Its reliable, but i always know something will be needed at inspection other than basic stuff so I can't call it bulletproof like other honda, suburus and toyotas I have had prior. But, i do drive alot, drive it hard and i knew what I was getting my I bought the 2nd one. Altima is more fun to drive than camry and civic. So, if you get the car for a decent price and it has service records, it will work out for you if you go into to it expecting to spend some money every year."

Great value for money

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, gas saver, great overall value for $."

Cons: "Interior and exterior design could be better."

My altima GLE (the work horse)

"This is a straight forward kinda car, how you treat it is how it'll treat you in return. I've had mine for seven years now and it has NEVER! NOT ONCE left me stranded. Super reliable, Super solid, it's looks won't get you noticed but with its lack of problems you won't care. Look at it like this... Less money spent fixing it leaves more money in YOUR pocket for other things. Two thumbs way up for this little car."

My altima GLE (the work horse)

I drive this vehicle 100 miles daily.

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "very reliable car"

Cons: "seats are to low for taller drivers"

"This vehicle currently has 177,000 miles and still running excellent. Everything is still stock / original and works including the cold a/c. I will continue to drive it until the engine will not work anymore. i would love to buy a 2013 altima and keep it as long as my 1999 Altima."

BEST CAR EVER

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Peppy, RELIABLE, comfortable, great handling"

Cons: "Back a bit high-if short, backing may be difficult"

"Although it's now considered an older car, you'd never know it! It's been extremely good value for the money, hasn't needed any repairs--only routine maintenance, and is still cute/looks great!! It's also only a 4-cyl engine, but again, you would never know it! This car is very "peppy" and responsive and handles very, very nicely. Even my parents, who both drive luxury cars (Mercedes and BMWs) are impressed by my car whenever they drive it. If you're looking for a cute, reliable, easy-to-care for car--look no further! Seriously!"

Never been better

By on Sunday, December 4, 2011

"I have had this car for 10 years. I have lived in her, taken her everywhere,and always relied on her. there has never been a question in my mind whether I would make it somewhere or not. This is the most dependable car! I am at 275000 Miles now and only this year starting to have to replace something like a oxygen sensor. This is a great car for your money and will last your forever."