1998 Nissan Altima

Based on 491 Ratings for the 1998 - 2001 models.

economical performance

By on Monday, March 30, 2009

"I have put over 130,000 miles on this car at highway speeds and in congested traffic, with the standard 5 speed transmission you have full control of the vehicles performance. I pass when I am ready to pass and I slow down when I am ready to. never have to replace brakes, still in good condition becouse I rarely have to use them. I am impressed with the performance of this 4 cylinder and 5 speed combination. good gas millage and roomy for this 4 door sedan. dash is set up good, it's like having a sports car and family car all in one package."

LOVE MY ALTIMA

By on Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"I love my altima. It handles wonderfully. I love the manual transmisson when I want to get up and go. My children spend a lot of time in the backseat,and are very comfortable. We do several major road trips a year, and i drove it 19 hours straight this summer with no problems. I bought this car with 17,000 miles, and never had any problems until about two years ago(140,000 miles), when I began putting a lot of maitenience repairs into it. At 165,000 it needs a new transmission, so I am going to buy a new altima. This car has ben rode hard, and put away wet, and has always been there for me. Average about 28mpg. Goodbye, I will miss you!"

First 5 years ok, down hill from there

By on Thursday, January 3, 2008

"first year, all four window motors went bad one by one, at least under warranty. a couple years after that the 6-disc in dash cd-changer died for no apparent reason, and judging by the number of dead clarion in dash cd changers from nissans on ebay must be a common thing. At just before the 140,000 miles, the struts and air conditioner had to be replaced. Overall i guess it averages out ok, no major repairs before then so maybe just get rid of when you hit 125,000 or so and you'll be ok :)"

By on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"I have owned this car since it was new and it has been great. I've changed the oil regularly and it has been completely trouble free with no visits to the shop for repairs in six years."

No problems

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, comfortable, spacious"

Cons: "low front bumper, windows get stuck"

"I got this car as a family 'hand me down' in 2011 with about 130k miles on it. Since I got it I haven't had any significant issues! It runs great and it's never broken down or stalled out. Great acceleration. The catalytic converter and a few other things have been replaced throughout the years but nothing unfixable. The only issues the car has had are 'cosmetic'... my passenger side window got stuck down and is currently duck taped up (had to cut the belt to move it) and some of the windows get stuck or squeak loudly sometimes. Also, the lever to open trunk/fuel tank broke so I have to open my gas tank through the trunk. The front bumper is also very low so I've had to get it repaired often because of curbs/steep hills (my own fault)... Havent had any problems with the actual performance so far and it gets me to where I need to go and has survived many many roadtrips... hope to have many more years with this car!"