1998 Mercury Tracer

8.2

Based on 39 Ratings for the 1997 - 1999 models.

By on Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"I had this 1997 car since i was 18 and i am now 32! LOL! i havent had any major trouble. All I do is get oil change and brakes, and tune-ups. Nothing major. I am currently in the process of buying a Toyota Camry. But i will still keep my Tracer just for errands. It has over 177k. People have talked about Mercury/Ford cars. These American cars LAST!!!!"

durable eco-family car

By on Saturday, February 6, 2010

"I bought my tracer on 2/1/10 and crashed it on 2/6/10. t-boned on pass side front end. My wheel is embedded into the engine compartment and it still runs and starts up. I'm blown away that the engine and drive train are working fine. but i think the wheel that's damaged is my drive wheel. Anyways both airbags deployed and I got out of the car and I felt fine. passenger cabin is flawless besides airbags and cracked windshield, and door won't open. But another thing I liked is all the glass is still in tact. I was rolling at 5-10mph and got t-boned from a camry doing 40mph in a 25mph zone. I was turning left and he had the right away but I saw no cars coming and he was speeding. You can tell from the damage that he was speeding. I sure hope the insurance doesn't find me at fault, but you never know how they decide these things. This is a very safe car for a small economy car that has cargo room. If they find my car totaled I will try to get another escort/tracer wagon."

Great Starter Car

By on Saturday, December 12, 2009

"I've had this car since Fall '06. This car was wonderful in HS and my first couple of years in college (no monthly payments was a blessing)! Very economic and reliable. Racked up a little over 100,000 miles. My mercury had very low maintenance with the exception of a front brake change. Even with that being changed, this car still seems to make noise no matter what. Nothing loud, just a bit annoying. Farthest I have every driven at once is 60miles, so I don't know how it would handle long-distance road trip. Overall, my little mercury was an excellent basic car in high school and college. Only down side is, it's not very stylish nor is it the best performer. Mercury tracer is a bit uncomfortable. There's not very much room (not good for anyone over 5'10"). Going to school in a more wealthier area can get me down a little because so many college students drive brand-new cars. Rolling in my 98 mercury next to all these 2009 hondas and ford trucks makes me feel a little inadequate sometimes, but that old girl has been very loyal. Though I will not be sad to let her go one day and hop in a new car!"

By on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"I bought this car a year and a half ago with 101 thousand miles, it currently has 125,000 miles. I have put alot of highway miles going back and forth to school. It gets great gas milage (around 34 highway, 30 city) and it is very reliable. I had to replace the timeing belt at 120,000 miles but that is a common fix. It doesnt get points for style and speed, but its a great car for a poor college kid like myself, i would recommend it to other college kids, and parents looking to get there kids a first car."

Worth it

By on Monday, January 9, 2012

Pros: "great value"

Cons: "cassette player"

"This car never let me down."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercury Tracer near Honolulu. See local deals