2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 173 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Absolute bargain if found at KBB price

By on Monday, April 24, 2017

Pros: "Everything excellent if you dont mind shifting."

Cons: "Driver entry and space. NOT for tall people."

"First, this is a two seat roadster and definitely not made for 6-footers and taller. You will feel like a sardine going into a can. Also, it is standard with a manual transmission, so if shifting is not for you then neither is this car. Other than that this car gets the highest possible ratings from me. I am old enough (80) to have drive many manual transmission cars and this is by far the best shifting car I have ever driven. More than enough power for any driving we do here in the states. Who needs to go 140 mph? It handles and corners like it is on a rail. The hard top is great, but you pay the price in trunk space when it is down. Bottom line: How else can you have a sporty luxury car this cheaply. No one will know by looking at it that you paid so little!"

Love this car

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Hard top convertible, sleek, aerodynamic, low mile"

Cons: "No CD but it's 1998 with low miles"

"My 2000 Ford Explorer was giving me problem so I decided to look for another car. I found this beauty of a car that was priced for $9995. It's a 1998 with only 39K miles when I bought it. YES, 39K MILES. I felt like I just bought a new SLK Mercedes for under $10K. It runs perfectly. I bought from a used car lot dealer who claims the previous/original owner was a doctor who never used it. I scored big time on this car and it runs perfectly."

I really like this car....but

By on Friday, August 15, 2008

"I had a 1979 450 SL for 25 years.....yes, 25 years, and when I had to give it up (because of difficulty to get parts,) it only had 150K miles on it. I just LOVED that car so much! . I agreed to let it go ONLY if my husband bought me another Mercedes sports type. I really love my SLK the car.....WITH THE EXCEPTION of a very rough ride, compared to other cars and especially compared to my "old" Mercedes. I find that you "feel" everything, even small bumps and small chinks in the road. That has been my only disappointment. I probably should have taken it on a longer test drive of a variety of surfaces. I noticed that most reviews out here rarely give it a 5 for comfort, so I guess I am not alone. It is also a little pricey for maintenance, and not great resale value. I do, however really love my little red car and the retractable roof, "zoom" pickup, and the gas mileage etc. I just wish it was "smoother and quieter" to drive. I would recommend it to others, but with that warning and tell them to test drive it a lot to be sure they are OK with that."

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I've owned this 2001 SLK320 since buying it new. It's a great fun car for short distance trips. The trunk is tiny even with the top up and that limits its practicality. My golf clubs fit only if I put the driver on the passenger seat. Forget fitting a pair of skis inside the car. Winter driving can be tricky. It comes with summer tires. I have driven only 28,000 miles on it in 6 years. The car has a solid Mercedes feel. The manual 6 speed stick is not up to sport car standards. Acceleration is very good. Braking is excellent. Handling is also excellent. I have had no major repair issues but routine maintenance at the dealer is off-the wall expensive - like $460 to replace 12 spark plugs. I get about 25-27 mpg. A negative is resale price depreciation. Quality and engineering is good except for areas like placing the spare doughnut tire under a wheelwell cover that is awkward to remove."

best car I ever owned

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Superior fit and finish-fast-economical-dependable"

"Bought this new in 1/02. Best car I have ever owned-believe it or not-only one repair for the "high" setting on a drivers heated seat when new. No other repair! Love the Flame Red color with Charcoal leather. Still get thumbs up and people asking about it when I take it out for a spin. Excellent gas mileage and Bose Stereo is still the best. Never owned a car so long-no plans on selling anythime soon."