2002 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 173 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I've owned this 2001 SLK320 since buying it new. It's a great fun car for short distance trips. The trunk is tiny even with the top up and that limits its practicality. My golf clubs fit only if I put the driver on the passenger seat. Forget fitting a pair of skis inside the car. Winter driving can be tricky. It comes with summer tires. I have driven only 28,000 miles on it in 6 years. The car has a solid Mercedes feel. The manual 6 speed stick is not up to sport car standards. Acceleration is very good. Braking is excellent. Handling is also excellent. I have had no major repair issues but routine maintenance at the dealer is off-the wall expensive - like $460 to replace 12 spark plugs. I get about 25-27 mpg. A negative is resale price depreciation. Quality and engineering is good except for areas like placing the spare doughnut tire under a wheelwell cover that is awkward to remove."

FUN SPORTY CAR FOR THE MONEY ATTENTION GETTER

By on Thursday, December 15, 2016

"LOTS OF FUN FOR THE MONEY (BLUEBOOK SHOWS THEY ARE VERY LOW IN VALUE) MINE IN VERY GOOD CONDITION IS WORTH AROUND $4,400 PROBLEM IS TRY TO FIND ONE AT THAT PRICE THIS IS PRIVATE PARTY VALUE. BUY DRIVE AND ENJOY THEY WILL NOT BRING ANYTHING AT TIME OF RE- SALE REGARDLESS OF CONDITION. THEY LOOK LIKE THEY COST SO MUCH MORE THAN THEY ARE ACTULLY WORTH"

best car I ever owned

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Superior fit and finish-fast-economical-dependable"

"Bought this new in 1/02. Best car I have ever owned-believe it or not-only one repair for the "high" setting on a drivers heated seat when new. No other repair! Love the Flame Red color with Charcoal leather. Still get thumbs up and people asking about it when I take it out for a spin. Excellent gas mileage and Bose Stereo is still the best. Never owned a car so long-no plans on selling anythime soon."

Wonderful but expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"This is a beautiful car that I adore driving. Love how it handles, and the responsiveness. The repair costs are really high every time - the least I have spent on any single maintenance is $500 and the most was about $5000."

I've owned 2 SLKs...

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I have owned two of these, a 1999 SLK 230 and a 2001 SLK 320. Both are essentially the same trim/body package. Beautiful cars to look at, very reliable, very fun to drive. However, VERY expensive to repair even small problems. Also, not very comfortable at all, even for a roadster. Feels like a go-cart on rough roads. The SLK 230 with the supercharged four is ok in power and good on gas, but a bit slow, especially compared to the 3.2 liter 6 the 320 comes with. The 320 is much quicker and feels more like a true roadster. Overall, a tremendous value. You can pick up one in excellent condition, with less than 50k miles for $15k or less. No better value for a roadster, especially a retractable hardtop! Great cars."