2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 173 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Great little sports car, great value.

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, convertible hardtop, gas mileage"

Cons: "Performance & handling below some sports cars"

"I've owned a lot of sports cars and this is a fun little car with great gas mileage. It doesn't have the acceleration,handling, and fun factor as a Porsche Boxster but makes up for that with reliability over the boxster. The retractable hardtop can have issues with operation. Possible issues can be cables and connections. I do all my own maintenance and repair."

FUN SPORTY CAR FOR THE MONEY ATTENTION GETTER

By on Thursday, December 15, 2016

"LOTS OF FUN FOR THE MONEY (BLUEBOOK SHOWS THEY ARE VERY LOW IN VALUE) MINE IN VERY GOOD CONDITION IS WORTH AROUND $4,400 PROBLEM IS TRY TO FIND ONE AT THAT PRICE THIS IS PRIVATE PARTY VALUE. BUY DRIVE AND ENJOY THEY WILL NOT BRING ANYTHING AT TIME OF RE- SALE REGARDLESS OF CONDITION. THEY LOOK LIKE THEY COST SO MUCH MORE THAN THEY ARE ACTULLY WORTH"

I love the SLK230 so much I am buying another one.

By on Sunday, April 7, 2013

"I am the original owner and bought it as the first one made for the USA! I love it so much I am getting a new one in 2014! I have 68,400 miles on this one! I wouldnt even get another car except my company benefits qaualify me for a new car and it is the only one I really enjoy driving out several autos I own."

Speed and comfort

By on Thursday, February 19, 2009

"I bought this 2002 SLK 32 in January 2009. It is very fast , handles great and nice body style for an older Benz. The hard top convertible gives maximum security and folds down quick and easy. I would recommend this car to anyone who likes to have fun when driving. Don't tell my wife I bought it because she might want to drive it. LOL"

Love this car

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Hard top convertible, sleek, aerodynamic, low mile"

Cons: "No CD but it's 1998 with low miles"

"My 2000 Ford Explorer was giving me problem so I decided to look for another car. I found this beauty of a car that was priced for $9995. It's a 1998 with only 39K miles when I bought it. YES, 39K MILES. I felt like I just bought a new SLK Mercedes for under $10K. It runs perfectly. I bought from a used car lot dealer who claims the previous/original owner was a doctor who never used it. I scored big time on this car and it runs perfectly."

Wonderful but expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"This is a beautiful car that I adore driving. Love how it handles, and the responsiveness. The repair costs are really high every time - the least I have spent on any single maintenance is $500 and the most was about $5000."

I really like this car....but

By on Friday, August 15, 2008

"I had a 1979 450 SL for 25 years.....yes, 25 years, and when I had to give it up (because of difficulty to get parts,) it only had 150K miles on it. I just LOVED that car so much! . I agreed to let it go ONLY if my husband bought me another Mercedes sports type. I really love my SLK the car.....WITH THE EXCEPTION of a very rough ride, compared to other cars and especially compared to my "old" Mercedes. I find that you "feel" everything, even small bumps and small chinks in the road. That has been my only disappointment. I probably should have taken it on a longer test drive of a variety of surfaces. I noticed that most reviews out here rarely give it a 5 for comfort, so I guess I am not alone. It is also a little pricey for maintenance, and not great resale value. I do, however really love my little red car and the retractable roof, "zoom" pickup, and the gas mileage etc. I just wish it was "smoother and quieter" to drive. I would recommend it to others, but with that warning and tell them to test drive it a lot to be sure they are OK with that."

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I've owned this 2001 SLK320 since buying it new. It's a great fun car for short distance trips. The trunk is tiny even with the top up and that limits its practicality. My golf clubs fit only if I put the driver on the passenger seat. Forget fitting a pair of skis inside the car. Winter driving can be tricky. It comes with summer tires. I have driven only 28,000 miles on it in 6 years. The car has a solid Mercedes feel. The manual 6 speed stick is not up to sport car standards. Acceleration is very good. Braking is excellent. Handling is also excellent. I have had no major repair issues but routine maintenance at the dealer is off-the wall expensive - like $460 to replace 12 spark plugs. I get about 25-27 mpg. A negative is resale price depreciation. Quality and engineering is good except for areas like placing the spare doughnut tire under a wheelwell cover that is awkward to remove."

Absolute bargain if found at KBB price

By on Monday, April 24, 2017

Pros: "Everything excellent if you dont mind shifting."

Cons: "Driver entry and space. NOT for tall people."

"First, this is a two seat roadster and definitely not made for 6-footers and taller. You will feel like a sardine going into a can. Also, it is standard with a manual transmission, so if shifting is not for you then neither is this car. Other than that this car gets the highest possible ratings from me. I am old enough (80) to have drive many manual transmission cars and this is by far the best shifting car I have ever driven. More than enough power for any driving we do here in the states. Who needs to go 140 mph? It handles and corners like it is on a rail. The hard top is great, but you pay the price in trunk space when it is down. Bottom line: How else can you have a sporty luxury car this cheaply. No one will know by looking at it that you paid so little!"

best car I ever owned

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Superior fit and finish-fast-economical-dependable"

"Bought this new in 1/02. Best car I have ever owned-believe it or not-only one repair for the "high" setting on a drivers heated seat when new. No other repair! Love the Flame Red color with Charcoal leather. Still get thumbs up and people asking about it when I take it out for a spin. Excellent gas mileage and Bose Stereo is still the best. Never owned a car so long-no plans on selling anythime soon."