2000 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 172 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Great little sports car, great value.

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, convertible hardtop, gas mileage"

Cons: "Performance & handling below some sports cars"

"I've owned a lot of sports cars and this is a fun little car with great gas mileage. It doesn't have the acceleration,handling, and fun factor as a Porsche Boxster but makes up for that with reliability over the boxster. The retractable hardtop can have issues with operation. Possible issues can be cables and connections. I do all my own maintenance and repair."

I love the SLK230 so much I am buying another one.

By on Sunday, April 7, 2013

"I am the original owner and bought it as the first one made for the USA! I love it so much I am getting a new one in 2014! I have 68,400 miles on this one! I wouldnt even get another car except my company benefits qaualify me for a new car and it is the only one I really enjoy driving out several autos I own."

One must be an engineer to appreciate this.

By on Monday, October 3, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive and lots of design ideas to learn."

Cons: "None! Is it just me?"

"I bought this used 2001 SLK320 as a project car because I felt in love with its hardtop convertible. It's my 1st foreign car. It died after 3 months and less than 200 miles. After the initial disappointment, I started working on it and loving it more every day. My wife, on the other hand, is not very fond of it because of my "misplaced devotion". This vehicle's parts are mostly inexpensive and readily available on internet and local automotive stores. The SLK320 is as easy to work on as all my Ford and GM trucks and JD tractors. It's vastly less expensive to maintain than my wife's GMC and Cadillac which are only serviced by dealers. I've spent less than $500.00 to restore this babe to good health with a new Crank Shaft Sensor, (12!) spark plugs, wires, air filters, oil change, brakes, rotors, bulbs, lift gates and few hoses. One must work on this car to love it."

Speed and comfort

By on Thursday, February 19, 2009

"I bought this 2002 SLK 32 in January 2009. It is very fast , handles great and nice body style for an older Benz. The hard top convertible gives maximum security and folds down quick and easy. I would recommend this car to anyone who likes to have fun when driving. Don't tell my wife I bought it because she might want to drive it. LOL"

Love this car

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "Hard top convertible, sleek, aerodynamic, low mile"

Cons: "No CD but it's 1998 with low miles"

"My 2000 Ford Explorer was giving me problem so I decided to look for another car. I found this beauty of a car that was priced for $9995. It's a 1998 with only 39K miles when I bought it. YES, 39K MILES. I felt like I just bought a new SLK Mercedes for under $10K. It runs perfectly. I bought from a used car lot dealer who claims the previous/original owner was a doctor who never used it. I scored big time on this car and it runs perfectly."

I really like this car....but

By on Friday, August 15, 2008

"I had a 1979 450 SL for 25 years.....yes, 25 years, and when I had to give it up (because of difficulty to get parts,) it only had 150K miles on it. I just LOVED that car so much! . I agreed to let it go ONLY if my husband bought me another Mercedes sports type. I really love my SLK the car.....WITH THE EXCEPTION of a very rough ride, compared to other cars and especially compared to my "old" Mercedes. I find that you "feel" everything, even small bumps and small chinks in the road. That has been my only disappointment. I probably should have taken it on a longer test drive of a variety of surfaces. I noticed that most reviews out here rarely give it a 5 for comfort, so I guess I am not alone. It is also a little pricey for maintenance, and not great resale value. I do, however really love my little red car and the retractable roof, "zoom" pickup, and the gas mileage etc. I just wish it was "smoother and quieter" to drive. I would recommend it to others, but with that warning and tell them to test drive it a lot to be sure they are OK with that."

Fun to Drive

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I've owned this 2001 SLK320 since buying it new. It's a great fun car for short distance trips. The trunk is tiny even with the top up and that limits its practicality. My golf clubs fit only if I put the driver on the passenger seat. Forget fitting a pair of skis inside the car. Winter driving can be tricky. It comes with summer tires. I have driven only 28,000 miles on it in 6 years. The car has a solid Mercedes feel. The manual 6 speed stick is not up to sport car standards. Acceleration is very good. Braking is excellent. Handling is also excellent. I have had no major repair issues but routine maintenance at the dealer is off-the wall expensive - like $460 to replace 12 spark plugs. I get about 25-27 mpg. A negative is resale price depreciation. Quality and engineering is good except for areas like placing the spare doughnut tire under a wheelwell cover that is awkward to remove."

best car I ever owned

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Superior fit and finish-fast-economical-dependable"

"Bought this new in 1/02. Best car I have ever owned-believe it or not-only one repair for the "high" setting on a drivers heated seat when new. No other repair! Love the Flame Red color with Charcoal leather. Still get thumbs up and people asking about it when I take it out for a spin. Excellent gas mileage and Bose Stereo is still the best. Never owned a car so long-no plans on selling anythime soon."

Wonderful but expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"This is a beautiful car that I adore driving. Love how it handles, and the responsiveness. The repair costs are really high every time - the least I have spent on any single maintenance is $500 and the most was about $5000."

I've owned 2 SLKs...

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I have owned two of these, a 1999 SLK 230 and a 2001 SLK 320. Both are essentially the same trim/body package. Beautiful cars to look at, very reliable, very fun to drive. However, VERY expensive to repair even small problems. Also, not very comfortable at all, even for a roadster. Feels like a go-cart on rough roads. The SLK 230 with the supercharged four is ok in power and good on gas, but a bit slow, especially compared to the 3.2 liter 6 the 320 comes with. The 320 is much quicker and feels more like a true roadster. Overall, a tremendous value. You can pick up one in excellent condition, with less than 50k miles for $15k or less. No better value for a roadster, especially a retractable hardtop! Great cars."