1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Based on 173 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Still looks great!

By on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"I bought my 2001 SLK in 2005 with 40K miles. Currently I'm at 150K miles commuting approx. 100 miles daily. No maintenance until I went just over 100K miles (when warranty expried, of course). That year I had two $2K repairs plus the 12K mile maintenance which I always have the dealer take care of. Although a bit on the expensive side for maintenance and it hasn't held value real well, I would still recommend this fun little car. I drive mountain freeways and have to compete with large freight trucks. There is plenty of power (even uphill) to get out of the way of a big truck. And, even though she's 8 yrs old, most people think she's new. The body style is still very good looking and except for the console (finish is flaking) the interior is also in great shape. I hope to own her for a good long time."

Great car for everything

By on Wednesday, October 3, 2007

"This car performs and looks great. I bought this car with 112,000 miles from family member who owned it since new. It has 125,000 miles now and with proper care and scheduled maintenance, I believe the car will last for a long time. I had minor problems like engine coil was loosed and had to be tighten, trunk struts replaced, and of course there are routine maintenance and fair and wear replacement that need to be performed like replacing tires and oil changes. Other minor issue I wish I could fix is that the center console plastic/rubber coating is coming off and there is nothing I know to fix it. Other than that I have no complains. I love driving this car, I wish it came with 6 cylinder but it has enough power and good gas mileage to offset the bigger engine requirement. The car is not for long drive over 1 hour, but can be done with frequent stops and rest. As long as this car is taken care of, the car will last for a long time. This car was built solid. Because of this car's performance, reliability, and value. I'm considering purchasing another SLK."

Great car!

By on Monday, October 1, 2007

"I purchased this car used from a private party with less than 10k miles. I've had it for over 4 years now and have had NO major issues. I'm over 100k miles now and it still runs perfectly. I would reccomend this car to anyone looking for a vehicle in this class - it's been a dream! Some minor interior issues with the "coating" on the center console (it tends to peel in areas), but I believe that's been corrected on newer models."

Fun Keeper

By on Saturday, September 15, 2007

"This baby was bought new in San Francisco in late 1998 and only has 17k miles on it. I save it for special occasions and whenever I look at the cheap used price, I decide again to keep it and pass it on down the family. I use it for fun trips and it is a joy to drive."

A comfortable, stylish head-turner

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"I remember, when i took a test-drive of this german beast with my good friend, he told me that all the way through the test-drive I had a grin on my face and I knew that this is totally my kinda machine. The most amazing feature it has is the Hard-top which goes in the trunk in a very Transformers style. And even with the top up it looks very classy. The engine has 215 horses under its belt which I think is more than enough for this stallion. The transmission is very smooth and fast to get to speed quickly. I like having two options in the transmission where you can choose between Wet 'W' and Standard 'S'. The difference is that when it is on 'W' it starts on second gear instead of first to reduce the slippery effect of the Wet road. The comfort is amazing as you can choose from many adjustable features to suite your ease which adds a lot to the whole experience. The handeling on this baby is marvelous and the safety features make it excellently reliable. It even indicates how many miles you have till your next service is due, which is usually 10,000 miles between every service. All in all, I am very happy with my decision to buy this car and I dont think I can go wrong with it for a long time."