2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

Based on 24 Ratings for the 2013 - 2017 models.

Pretty close to nirvana

By on Saturday, September 4, 2010

"The warranty on my 2006 M5 was about to expire which put in the market for a new car. There was no way I was going to keep the M5 without a warranty. The repairs thus far had been way too much if I had to pay them out of pocket. I stopped my the Mercedes dealer and they had a silver arrow edition SL550 that just looked gorgeous! Sporty, clean, sharp angles, silver with red interior and AMG wheels. I always thought of the SL has being a car for the more mature gentlemen however, I am sold on it and absolutely love it."

vary nice MB

By on Monday, January 18, 2010

"great looking. good exhilarates. nice finish interor and exteror. the tire air pressure indecator is a bit to sensitive. needs a little more speed. nice on corners."

Lot of Car

By on Thursday, February 19, 2009

"I founf the 2009 SL550 to be the greatest touring car I have ever own. The only problem is that it should br priced around $60-$70K"

Opulent Performance

By on Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Pros: "Opulent Comfort, Fine Art, and Performance"

Cons: "Weight"

"Never a Mercedes fan, having read years of Mercedes reviews that kept noting the boredom of the Mercedes driving experience, I bought the 2013 SL550 certified used with 21,000 miles. Looking for more comfort than my previous first generation BMW Z4 Sport, I was inclined to exclude a newer Z4 even though the first one was a total joy to drive for many years. I believe that lighter is always better so a new Boxster seemed to be the best option. However, at 6' 4" I find the Boxster a bit cramped. The used SL550 was priced about the same as the new Boxster and the seats positively seduced both myself and my wife. The Porsche 14-way seats are not in the same league for comfort or range of thigh support, and the SL has that wonderful active bolstering. The active-bolstered seats are an upgrade I think but if you buy an SL I think you "gotta have 'em". The only real competitor for the SL550 is the Porsche 911, which may deliver higher performance on a track but who over takes one of these cars racing? To me the Mercedes has an elegant sophisticated styling, more modern art and less boy racer than the Porsche and to me rounded styling as with the Porsche 911 or the Jaguar XK has lost its luster. The opulent sculpturing of the SL's interior dash is the highest form of automotive art, accented by circular vent openings above spreading wings of rich dark wood. Again, Porsche 911 is not in the same class. Porsche wins easily on resale value. However, this generation SL, with much improved fuel efficieny and driving feel, will likely fare better than the prior generation. Info system? Why doesn't every manufacturer just get with Apple and provide a system that links to the Apple phone? For starters I would like to use map search functions on my iPhone and then send the address to the "Command" info system. The driving feel is definitely heavy, not my normal preference, and seems relatively understated for a performance car. Noise, including exhaust note, and road feel are dialed down. However, the sport setting on the suspension transmits nicely cushioned road feel that inspires a bit of spirited driving. Alternatively, the comfort setting is nice on particularly rough roads. This is a very quiet car inside that allows enjoying conversation or the excellent sound system when desired. Add top down and top up versatility and this car can provide a great driving experience in many, many ways."

Best of their brand

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Overall refinement, power and handling"

Cons: "Quirky design, storage and driver amenities"

"Having just traded in my 2011, his is my 2nd consecutive MB SL550. The 2014 is a vastly improved car in many, may ways- it drives better, handles better, feels more solid and has more power. Candidly, the 2014 feels like a far superior vehicle and makes it almost impossible to believe that I had been driving the same car for 3 years. There are a few knocks however. First, the styling takes some getting used to. The nose of the car maintains a decidedly MB look however the rear and rest of the car feel somehow disconnected and somewhat pedestrian. The rear of the car could be almost any luxury brand based on looks alone. Next, the interior of my car has a pretty bad odor to it. From my past experiences, I realize that MB doesn't not have the typical "new car" smell but this vehicle almost smells like a drunk mechanic. I've had the car for less than a week and have an air freshener in the car which is a tragedy given the six figure price of the car. I have reached out to the dealership and am waiting for their reply. Also, the interior redesign, which is far superior to the 2011 also comes with sacrifices. Fit and finish are amazing. The ridiculous cup holders from the old model have been addressed. The seats are on a whole new level comfort-wise. However, the storage spaces are terrible. The fantastic door compartments of the 2011 are gone. Beyond the glove box, the dash has no storage. And, the center console, which was redesigned to make room for cup holders, offers a storage box that opens at the elbow, making it nearly impractical to use as a driver. It makes the day to day driving experience a little frustrating. Finally, the audio system is far superior to that of the 2011, however, the centering of the surround is WAY forward in the car. It sounds like someone is singing from under the hood directly in your face. This hinders the true magic of the new system, which includes the best bass EVER. The SL line of MB is without question their pinnacle of their brand. Driving the 2014 feels like driving a completely new type of car, which isn't a bad thing at all even if it is a quantum leap over the same car. Most of the shortcomings of the car, including the exterior design, are ones that will improve over time, however, the smell and creature comforts you expect in a car of this price are completely lacking and, at times, make me wonder if I have made a mistake in committing to a second SL."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz SL-Class near Honolulu. See local deals