2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 104 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Rock Solid

By on Friday, January 6, 2012

Pros: "Comfort, acceleration and overall ride."

Cons: "Cost of repairs."

"Best car I've owned and/or driven. Bought it used in 2011. Aside from an electrical issue w/ the battery, and automatic trunk, this car has been perfect. Acceleration, ride and comfort are best in class. Need to pass on the highway, 60mph to 80 with no hesitation or downshift. Smooth. Tons of interior room (i'm 6'4"), even w/ 3 kids in rear. 4-matic performs fine in snow, even w/ performance tires."

2001 S55 AMG

By on Sunday, February 13, 2011

"This is my third Benz and have found them to be of high quality, safe, and very comfortable. I was struck by the value with the S55 AMG. It's a car that is relatively low maintenance with the exception of the rear tires, my enthusiastic driving makes full use of the torque and horsepower available with this car. I use this as my everyday car and thoroughly enjoy the balance of performance and comfort. Doing 85mph at 2800rpm is a gentle example of the headroom under the hood. It's a great to travel with, readily accomodating 4-5 adults with lots of leg room in the back. Overall, I would encourage many to at the very least, take the S55 AMG for a test drive, it is an excellent combination of many captivating elements that will provide pleasure for many moons."

First MB

By on Sunday, December 5, 2010

"Purchased a 2001 s430 used with low mileage 62000. Vehicle drives great plenty of power and comfort. Plastic bottom seat trim cheap and cracked. The dealer replaced it. CD changer magazine would not be recognized but dealer seemed to solve the problem. Gas mileage not bad for an 8cyl."

Mercedes In Court? 2004 S430 gone bad

By on Saturday, July 2, 2011

Pros: "Great if they're good"

Cons: "Dump it NOW if problems start. It won't get better, only expensive"

"Let me preface this by saying I enjoy driving MB products. There are few equals to their luxury lineup. I try others, it's just not the same combo of luxury and ability to get it on. Street or track. Anyway.... I had a 2001 430S, Trans and drive train were great. Outstanding acceleration and response. Too bad it started rusting through... Got the 2004 430S. Four times vehicle would not move away from a stop light normally. Trans would go into limp mode, and not go over 10 mph. Each time, Dealer: "There aren't any codes, even if there were, doesn't mean anything is wrong" Huhh? Finally got sick and tired. Asked four very aggressive attorneys for the best lemon law guy. All recommended same guy. Called him. Told him it was a Benz. "Ohhh". He says something like... MB doesn't settle. This will go to court. Look, I can get you the value of the car, but here's the thing, if you ever spit on the side walk, MB will trot that out in court. Ever not smile at a neighbor's kid, they'll ask why. Ever smiled at a little girl? They'll probably have a suggestion for that too. OK then. MB did eventually find a meaningful error code for the trans... about a month after warranty expiration. Oh, and I forget the other problem with the 2004, where one day the engine started running rough. Dealer had car for two months. "We had to order a part ALL THE WAY FROM GERMANY..." Gee, I said, Toyota ordered a part for my Avalon from Japan on Tuesday. On Friday Toyota called and said car was ready with new part, and please accept apologies for the unacceptable long delay. Thank God it didn't have to come from GERMANY. So, why did I rate the car so high? When it's good, it's without peer."

An excellent car

By on Friday, February 25, 2011

"I have owned this vehicle for three years without mechanical issues of any kind."