2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 104 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

By on Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Seats are not comfortable for distance driving. It does not ride or handle like a full size BMW I previously owned. I would not make this my first choice again. Just a stable basic car!"

Wonderful vehicle

By on Friday, February 4, 2011

"The S-430 is a fabulous car. It's performance is terrific and drives more like a sports car than a larger saloon. It's powerful and holds the road like glue. I also found it to be very economical getting between 22 and 26 mpg depending on highway or city cycle. It is comfortable and luxurious. I have been very pleased with mine."

Best car I've owned but watch repair cost.

By on Friday, September 30, 2011

Pros: "Fit and finish, the seats are comfortable on long trips. Car still looks like showroom."

Cons: "Cost of dealer repairs. Naviagation system is a pain to use."

"Bought this car 4 years ago with 50k on the clock....now have 112K. Great Ride, Quiet and quality. Dealer cost repair can be expensive. If you are have any mechanical skills you can save a small fortune. Only had 3 issues with this car. Catalytic Converter was warrantied by Mercedes for 8 years...failed after 8 year 2 months. Mercedes Dealer wanted $1200 to repair..Mercedes does not manufacture converters, took it to a muffler shop...replaced for $250. Dash Display was warrantied by Mercedes for 10 years....failed after 10 years 2 months. Dealer wanted $950 for the display and 128 Labor to fix, all replacement display units are re-manufactured. Located a re-manufacturer in Mass. Took less than 30 sec to remove display...shipped unit to them, it was returned in 3 days. Cost of repair $165 included free shipping. Took 15 seconds to reinstall. Electric cooling fan started making noise at 110K. Dealer wanted $1100 to $1200 to fix($750 to 900 for the part)...located a new fan assembly online for $349 including shipping...ordered and had it the next day. Three bolts to remove old unit. Total of 10 minutes.."

Outstanding raod car.

By on Sunday, December 25, 2011

Pros: "Outstanding integration of Mercedes engineering."

Cons: "none, I knew what I wanted in a car."

2005 S430 V

"I have owned this for many years and this 2005 S430 has proven to be an outstanding road car. Travel from the the West Coast to the East Coast I adveraged 27 mpg mixed driving. I save the numbers and ran the math after 3,700 mile trips of mixed driving and the average was always 27 MPG. This car runs like the 280 SE I had. Point it down the road and all of the engineering comes into play. The integration of the engineering is outstanding. I found a 2006 S430 4matic and shipped it to my brother in South Carolina. He told me that he would not purchase another car unless it was a Mercedes S Class. I like preventive maintenance so at 50,000 miles I replace the brakes on both axles, replaced the transmission fulid, the differential oil, the radiator fluid, new fuel filter, new transmission fliter, rocker panels that run under the doors, new battery, the best Michelin tires I can place on this car (including spare) and the B Service. I always ask for an oil sample and send it to the Blackstone Labs for oil analysis. The oil reports have always come back as perfect. My main area of driving is in the high altitude deserts of Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. I have my car detailed twice a year at the Mercedes. I use to commute to work at an average of 180 miles per day. This car has not diappointed me. I expected the best in engineering and the integration of that engineering and this car continues to provide that satisfaction."

2005 S430 V

Problems with air suspension,ABC Pumps,

By on Thursday, January 6, 2011

"This car is good "BUT" has a major problem in suspension air suspension is very very expensive to fix , ABC(Active Body Control) pump went bad spend over $2000 In repairs,Humming Noise .The Major Problem with this year is Air Suspension ,Engine and trans are great .Under the Driver seat Compartment breaks easily Very light material used my Mercedes Benz .Think Twice Before you Buy 2000 to 2004 benz they have a lot of problem with Air Suspension and very costly to fixed"