2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 104 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

Best S class ever

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Looks, reliability, fuel economy, comfort"

Cons: "none."

"This is my 4th S Class and 12th MB in 38 years of owning Mercedes and this is by far the best riding and best looking. I drive 40k/year, 95% on the hwy and I can easily go 6 hours or more and still feel fresh when I get to my destination. Fuel economy has gotten better as the car ages averaging 28+ on the hwy. Even at 270,000 miles the car still looks great and has all the power it had when new. Engine and transmission are original and aside from normal wear parts has never needed major work."

Great value if purchased as a lease return

By on Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pros: "Quiet, safe, fast. On multiple hour trips this car keeps you fresh"

Cons: "few. Parts are more costly than a run of the mill car - but they last longer."

"I have had this car for car for 6 years and it has provided good value, first class comfort, amazing handling, plenty of power, and it keeps me safe. If I had to use the local Mercedes dealership to maintain the car, my rating would certainly be lower. The car is great when you have someone good maintaining it, or rather not screwing it up. The local Mercedes dealership garage would likely sabotage anything they get their hands on and then charge you an arm and a leg. They are clueless and suggest repairs that my trusted mechanic laughs about. My S430 runs like a top and has only had one flaw - something (a compressor?) in the emission system that only affects exhaust quality if it does not work. I have replaced a suspension pump, brake pads and rotors, spark plugs, battery, filters and tires - all ordinary stuff for a 9 year old car, a car that drives like it was new. These cars depreciate in their first few years, but if you buy a good used one, you get an amazing car for the same price as a cheap new car. My S430 has proved itself a value, even if it stopped working tomorrow. But I am sure, that with a honest and capable mechanic doing preventative maintenance, this car will drive like new for years to come."

A fantastic apex automobile

By on Friday, May 17, 2013

Pros: "Quality, technology, driving dynamics, features"

Cons: "MPG, dated navigation system"

First photo after I detailed it the weekend after I bought it

"I never thought I would buy a Mercedes, let alone an S Class, but I found this 2002 last year with only 6700 miles on it and complete A and B services done 100 and 300 miles earlier (the Mercedes dealer obviously took advantage of the 80 year old widow that owned it). I have put 16K miles on it in the last year and I now understand why people spend $100K for these superb sedans. Even though it was built 11 years ago, it bristles with technology that has only begun to become available on lesser cars in the last few years. The fit and finish is impeccable, the materials are rich and beautifully crafted and the quality is everywhere. I have always found the 1999 - 2006 S class one of the most elegant and understated looking executive sedans out there, and I like the styling better than the 2007 and later. I am fond of telling people that it is the best handling living room I've ever driven. I live on the rugged north coast of California, so my "driveway" to get to the SF Bay Area for business is 60 miles of Highway 1. With the AMG Sport package and Active Body Control it is amazing how well this 4600 lb sedan hustles through the turns. Effortless acceleration, superb braking and all this while I am being coddled by heated or cooled seats with a back massage. The Distronic cruise control is amazing, I am so spoiled by it now I forget I don't have it in my other cars. The only feature that I really don't care for is the Navigation. Definitely showing its age, requires way too much clicking and twirling and it is not intuitive. On the other hand, the COMAND system that allows me to use voice commands for the sound system is great. I spent 5 hours the night I bought it reading the owner's manual and all the other manuals for the various features. Talk about an incredibly engineered and designed car! The number of small, thoughtful features just amazed me and I am now so completely spoiled by this car that I can't see much chance of ever getting something nicer. I expect this car to last for 300K miles with good care and still be as solid as a bank vault. One of the other downsides to the car to other buyers is the resale. I only paid $17,600 for what was originally a $101K car and I see that S Classes seem to be available cheap after about 6 years, although my suspicion is that it is because of maintenance costs as the mileage mounts. I don't care about that since I plan to keep the car for a very long time. I have put new tires on it ($1100 for Michelin Pilot Sports) and paid $425 for a B Service and Brake Fluid flush and replacement. Great service by the dealer, I can go to any Mercedes dealer anytime and have the car washed for free. My next scheduled service isn't for 10K miles since the last one, I consider that to be a plus since my other cars all ask for oil changes at @7500 miles. I have become a huge Mercedes fan after living with and thoroughly enjoying this beautiful piece of German engineering and design for a year. I look forward to many more."

First photo after I detailed it the weekend after I bought it

very expensive for maintenance

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "handling style comfort durability"

Cons: "overall high cost to maintain"

"Have had the S55 for 10 years---terrific car fast great handling only real downside is that it's a very high maintenance car--parts are really high/limited production and due to the complex engineering--labor is also high---I have followed the MBZ guide and for normal maintenance plus things that just break I have averaged about $4500 a year in expenses----my brother has one and he has averaged about $5700 a year so have your budget set for repairs--for example the front ABS shock went bad last month $2800 to repair versus probably $450 for a Camry--if you can't set that aside you will be very soory/and shouldn't buy a S55"

So it could have been cuter.

By on Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, prestigous in nature"

Cons: "thirsty for high-dollar fuel, not a head-turner"

"What a fun car to drive in this size class! It's roomy enough for all the folks you really want in the car and nimble enough to be treated like a sports car with all five of them in there."

Fantastic car, and a real joy to drive

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pros: "Speed, comfort, amenities"

Cons: "Price, costly repairs"

"One word sums up this car, AMAZING. Only problem with it is the price new. Wait a few years and pick up a used one to truly enjoy this one of a kind car. Elegance, style, quality and size, this one has it all. On a side note, its quicker than a vette to boot. Make sure to have a warranty, as repairs can be VERY costly."

Superbly performing and comfortable touring car

By on Saturday, December 26, 2015

Pros: "Power, handling, comfort, reliability."

Cons: "None, so far."

"More creature comforts than nearly any other car. Comfortable, quiet, very reliable, great handling and brakes, effortless power. Like your tunes? Try the 10 speaker Bose stereo system - marvelous! In over 220,000 miles, a very small piece of rubber trim came loose. Routine maintenance of lube, brakes, tires, interior and finish have been the only money invested in the car. Looks and performs like new. Worth every penny."

too expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Reason: costly repairs expensive parts

Pros: "Low price for a used one"

"Here is my prob with this car... i brought one used with 130k on it. Everytime there was a prob I had to pay 200.00 just for the shop to look at it.. The parts were really expensive and if it wasn't for the junk yard i would've been in trouble. The values are so low on this car now anybody can buy one. It's a cool car just buy it with low miles. My friend has one too, and we both had problems with the air suspension,electrical problems, among other issues."

Love it

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"I have owned two 7 series BMW's in the past and this is my second S430 and this time I got one with the DVD and the 4matic drive train. Having lived in cold weather climates, the 4matic is perfect! And the DVD allows for additional entertainment. Don't let mileage scare you away from one of these...because you really don't start to break it in until you reach 100,000 miles!"

Love this car

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "good on gas to be a V8, smooth ride"

Cons: "navigation system is outdated"

"Even though this car is almost ten years old, it still looks good. It handles way better than you would think a used car with 146,000 miles should. I love how much leg room it has on the back seat. The trunk is roomy and it has been wonderful on long trips. This has been an excellen!!!!!!!!! car."