1999 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Based on 135 Ratings for the 1992 - 1999 models.

A very fuel-economic war tank (irony)

By on Monday, October 12, 2015

Pros: "Built like a tank and built like no other car"

Cons: "fuel consumption if you drive it like it is stolen"

"This is a fuel-thirsty car (100 Litters or 25 gallons) but if you take in consideration that it is built like a war tank, then it becomes not-so-thirsty. Also consider the cost of every limb on your body, put a price on it and decide if it is better to pay the price in fuel which is far more economic. Again, built like a tank, nothing like it. Having 2 of them and having worked as accident-reconstruction investigator, I would never risk my life or any of my family's in a car that crushes to the point of being unrecognizable. How you drive this tank decides how it will consume fuel. Drive it responsibly without any sudden accelerations and it will be kind of economic. Drive it like a sports car and it will consume fuel like a sports car. Also keep in mind that until 1996 these cars are second-gear start. If you want to start in first gear you must manually take the shifter to "B" and then to drive - it will start in first gear for this time (repeat as needed). After 1997 keep the W/S switch in "S" or summer for every-time first-gear start. W stands for winter and would start in 2nd gear to avoid any slippery situation over the snow."

have my car 9year dive well keep the oil change

By on Monday, April 16, 2012

Pros: "take care it will drive way pass 400,000 or more"

Cons: "it will drink gas and window relay go bad at time"

"overall nice ride great on the long road, engine is nice.look is before it time 500 sel is the real thing! 1993"

best car

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "...."

"awesome vehicle no problems has a great get up and go. mine is perfect condition and rear seat recliners are awesome, great mileage if you drive right recommended this car to everyone, i would say most reliable car ive owned, plus there built like tanks"

Best friend of car enthusiasts

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Cons: "nothing with a capital n."

"Great vehicle, comfort, and reliability. Smooth in all areas of use and drive-ability. Drive one of these and know coolness. My favorite car ever! Easy to work on also, come on, think...most times rich people own these, car mechs can make a killing on fixing them because they were made for mechs to fix quick and easy, and, for them, to be very profitable."

Absolutely Love This Car

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"After driving American made cars for the last 30 years, I decided to seek out and get the best car made - period. The newly designed S-550 won hands down. I love the quiet, smooth, comfortable ride, with plenty of power when you need it. And it is very quiet. The electronics are excellent with redundant controlls, and the voice recognition system rarely misunderstands my commands. My wife, who had been a Lexus fan, got so jealous of my new S-550 that she traded in her LS430 for a new S-550 of her own."

Poor Quality Control

By on Sunday, December 23, 2007

"This is my 4th Mercedes Benz. The older models were definately better made. I have had my S for about 2 years. Comfort is outstanding as is styling. Performance is great and driving it is smooth. The electrical system and trim pieces are worse than a Yugo. It seems that MB has picked the lowest bidder for any plastic parts on the vehicle. The visor flip up turn on the light - well, it's supposed to. I've been through three passenger and two driver side visors. The storage compartment plastic desintigrated the second time it was used. Same for the cup holder. Wood trim cracks. I do not abuse my vehicles and do not even eat in it. It's just plain poor quality control. Service and warranty is good - it better be since it's in the service department as much as it is in my garage. I'll definately have to sell it before the warranty runs out."

I love this model for the reason i feel safe in it

By on Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, reliable, easy to work engine,"

Cons: "fuel milage"

Reno NV

"This is my second Mercedes i owned. I bought it with 105k miles on it for $9k. Now i Have 140k in less than 3 years. I feel safe and secure in it. It has being very reliable even with the high mileage. Two of my ignition coil have gone bad but i bought each one one of them for a 100$. Dealer will charge you probably 800.00 or so to replace 1 or 1600.00 to replace all of them. my cost was 120.00 total for both. The reason is once i diagnosed the issue i was able to replace the parts my self. IT IS THE EASIEST ENGINE TO WORK ON. I did not get bloody knuckles like working on other cars. If you are mechanically inclined you can on a Mercedes too and afford to keep it."

Reno NV

Solid dependable excellent vehicle

By on Friday, February 1, 2013

"I've owned this car for 16 years. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's like fine wine, gets better with age. While I also own a 2007 S550. This is my vehicle of choice."

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"1998 S420-GREAT LUXURIOUS BENZ.. LIMO LIKE QUALITY AND FEEL.. SO MANY FEATURES AVAILABLE .. DOORS THAT CLOSE BY THEMSELVES , POWER ASSIST TELESCOPING STEERING WHEEL FULLY POWERED SEATS THAT MOVE IN ANY DIRECTION, AIR-RIDE SUSPENSION, 26.5 GALLON FUEL TANK THAT GIVES ABOUT 500 MILES ON A FULL-TANK OF GAS, DRIVES SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER...E.T.C... SO MUCH MORE BUT NO SPACE TO WRITE IT ALL.."

Wonderful Class Act

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "Great experience to own"

Cons: "Ridiculous resale for such a remarkable car"

"The Merc S600 Coupe is a magic carpet. Pulls like a freight train, smooth as butter, silent like no other car is. The conveniences put other cars of the day, or even today, into a rather drab class. Even though it's 20 years old parts are readily available. While things do break over that time, the car, by and large, is really reliable. It's crazy to think that a $140k car could sell for such small money today. Not only is it a better ride than current Benzes, but better than any car you can name, Rolls included (gross HP notwithstanding, though with nearly 400HP it's no slouch). Fuel economy, never a strong point for V-12s, is a reasonable 20 MPG on the highway and 15 in town (real-world driving). It's cheap to do an electronics upgrade on this delightful machine, and with it, there's nothing better featured or experienced. Everyone should have a V-12 once in a lifetime, and this is the one to have."

The Best car in the face of the planet

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"How can I summarize to let you know how impressed I was when I bought my first Mercedes Benz? I had BMW’s before and they were great cars, I trade it my Lexus LS460L for this phenomenal S Class. What a difference in the drive, how it feels and the way it makes you feel. Being behind the wheel of an S Class gives you the control of the road without compromising the quality of the ride. Mercedes Benz scored a Home run with this beautiful car in my opinion. I know for a fact that after driving my LS460 and having the problems I did in the first 11,560 miles I need to make a change. The reason why I bought the Lexus was because of price. But what a huge mistake that was, I had the car at the dealer for repairs with the suspension that could not be resolved. Wind noise which if you check any Lexus forums it mentions how a lot people are unhappy with the road noise. Do yourself a favor and buy a Mercedes Benz S Class and you will appreciated"

Owner of 1995 s500 and 1993 s320

By on Friday, July 19, 2013

Pros: "Tank-Like construction, Safety First then Economy"

Cons: "Fuel consumption - still a very gas-thrifty tank"

"Having owned an s320 (1993) decided to try an s500/s600. Found an s500 with 39700 original miles for $2500. An offer was made and nobody else did so here it is. Advantages over the s320 are Acceleration and having a 1st gear when shifter is in "B". For the rest, the s320 is easier to maintain and has less problematic options that may go crazy in the future, like hydraulic rear suspension, more heat in the engine compartment (can't imagine the v12), rear reclining seat, rear "electric" headrests and so on. If you like the shape, an s320 is the basic option. If you like power (and less mpg) then an s500 or s600 are the options. V12 is even more expensive to maintain as it is basically to 6 cyl engines mated. So almost everything will be doubled when maintaining it. If you want an s320 and need 1st gear (hills for example), get one 1997-1999. They have the "s/w" switch for Summer and Winter. Summer starts in 1st gear and Winter in 2nd gear. The s320's and s500's prior to 1997 (including the 420's) start in 2nd gear always unless you select "B" in the s500 (the s320 does not have that). Keep in mind this is a very safe car and that life and safety can not be measured in either MPG or dollars per month."

WILL NEVER LET GO!

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

"PURCHASED IN 2000 WITH 78000, I THINK THE BEST FULL SIZE SEDAN EVER BUILT, LIKE A TANK. I HAD IT REPAINTED, AND EVERYBODY LOVES IT SEEING IT. VERY DEPENDABLE, QUEIT RIDE,"

S600

By on Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Fantastic acceleration and great handling for such a big car. Technology is great too and has been reliable thus far (coming up on 3yrs). Only nit is stereo reception has interference sometimes. Overall, by far the best car I have ever owned!"

Finest Mercedes Ever Produced, A Maybach in 90s

By on Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, Reliability, Fun, Quiet, Tenacious, Super"

Cons: "They stopped making the Car!"

W140 Limo

"This car was the finest car ever developed by the German Automotive Company Mercedes. I have owned several of Mercedes in my life, this one is by far the best, nicest, most reliable, and most comfortable to drive. It was the Maybach of the 1990s. If you have the chance to own one someday, do yourself the favor and buy it. You will not be disappointed nor will the car ever leave you crying in the rain. She is a beast in the night and will devour any american made car in her path. I cannot say enough about what an enjoyment this car has been. I love her now and forever I will be a true blue fan of the W140."

W140 Limo

One of the Best vehicles I have ever driven

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pros: "fit and finish royal look turbo diesel engine"

Cons: "None!"

"This Mercedes 300sd is a wonderful machine Overengineered in every way. Rides down the road great excellent fuel economy even though weight is close to 5000L/b. Fit and finish superb. A great vehicle if you can find one. Owners refuse to get rid of them."

By on Sunday, February 10, 2008

"If you are considering the Lexus LS 460 or the BMW 7 series, DON'T!!! I have owned the LS 460 for a year then I traded it in on the S550. Best car decision in my whole life!!! The quality is superb, good engine, good mileage for a V-8, and technology that is amazing. My Lexus cannot even compete with this machine. The BMW is good too, but not nearly as good looking. If you are debating, please don't be fooled, this is the real deal!!"

Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG - 100%

By on Sunday, February 8, 2009

"The Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG is a high-performance super luxury sedan, and for years, the S-Class has excelled in being a very popular luxury car. Let's begin. Under the hood of the S65 is a ridiculous 6.0 liter 604 horsepower V12 engine. Anything over 400 horsepower is impressive, anything over 500 horsepower is very impressive, and then you have the very few very talented vehicles that have over 600 horsepower. This is one of them. With that power comes an absurdly quick acceleration of 4.2 seconds from 0-60mph. That's 1.2 seconds quicker than the base and 0.2 seconds quicker than both the S600 and S63. Standard features of the Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG include air conditioning w/4-zone climate controls, interior air filter, navigation system w/voice recognition, heated power tilt/telescopic wood-leather-wrapped steering wheel w/radio controls, cruise control, leather upholstery, heated 14-way power front seats, memory system, power panoramic sunroof, premium sound system, 6-disc CD changer, wireless cell phone link, universal garage door opener, power rear sunshade, massaging front and rear seats, 8-way power rear seats, power side sunshades, power trunk closing, keyless access and starting, night vision, adaptive cruise control, and rearview camera. This never-ending list of standard features will easily satisfy every single driver and passenger of the car. Despite the huge engine, the interior of the Mercedes S65 is extremely quiet. Aside from some mild thumping over sharp bumps, travel is serene with very little road or wind noise. The V12 engine is barely heard, even under full throttle. The only thing I would change about the S-Class is the fuel economy. I got 9-10 miles per gallon with a combination of city and highway driving. We know that somewhere in 2010, a Mercedes-Benz S400 Bluetec will be released, reaching about 24 miles per gallon. That's still not very satisfying gas mileage, though a huge improvement over the S65. Overall, the Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG is an exceptional sedan. I am generally a nice grader, though the S-Class is an extremely quiet, extremely upscale, and extremely power full-size luxury sedan."

MB550V4 - rocks

By on Monday, April 16, 2007

"Mercedes Benz S550 4matic demonstrates what a modern luxury car should be - comfortable, powerful, intelligent and refined"

this is a very strong and solid car .

By on Saturday, February 1, 2014

Pros: "ALREADY SAID"

Cons: "NO CUP HOLDERS / NO NAVIGATION SYSTEM"

"I GOT VERY LUCKY WITH THIS CAR , ITS ORIGIN IS GERMANY AND BOUGHT THERE BY FIRST OWNER . I BOUGHT IT A FEW WEEKS AGO FOR 5,000 . THE BODY IS PERFECT AND PAINT IS AS GOOD AS NEW STILL ....INTERIOR LEATHER IS PERFECT CONDITION , NOT EVEN WORN ! ALL FEATURES OF CAR IN TACT AS WAS IN 1994 , I EVEN HAVE TINTED BULLETPROOF WINDOWS ALL THE WAY AROUND . SO COOL . LOL"

when nothing else will do.

By on Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Reason: 5 years was plenty

Pros: "styling, handling, performance and comfort"

Cons: "20 year old benz is a hole in your pocket."

1996 S600 in blue with grey interior

"I bought mine in 2011 with 139k mi. 1996 was the facelift and had many upgrades and what we today call "patches". The W140 chassis is legendary in build and performance. They are also legendary for cost of ownership. Fortunately, mine was a company car. Very few cars have the performance, styling, handling, comfort and prestige of an S600. Plenty of room for your passengers in comfort. The S600 has the reclining rear heated seats and separate a/c controls. I obtained the high mileage award from Mercedes. I wish the rest of the car held up as well as that V-12. Water pumps are a replacement item and mine got a new one about every three years. The S600 likely become collectable when there aren't any left...;) A truly great road car but bring your checkbook. The car tops out at about 135 mph and it will do that easily in comfort. This car inspires confidence in all weather and road conditions. I hated to let her go but the accountant literally said, "you need a more expensive car"."

1996 S600 in blue with grey interior

One of our generations greatest cars

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "Extremely comfy Great Power"

Cons: "Pricey maintenance"

"I bought this dream car in 2003 with 59k miles. It is not my first MB. It has been a great car and worth every penny of the very high maintenance cost. I warn you though not to buy one if you are not prepared to spend money to maintain it. Even at 16 years old it is a head turner and my friends love riding in it. I recently took it on a 2400 mile road trip and it was a pleasure. Got good fuel economy @22Hwy using Premium. This car enthusiasts biggest problem is where do I go from here. Nothing will make me as happy and this one won't be a daily driver forever. Or will it? Just awesome!"

Great Car.

By on Sunday, January 1, 2012

"Bought the car at a good price. Needed a few repairs which was expected at the mileage it's at. Drives great, no oil consumption overall its a great used car."

The bench mark

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"This S Class its got to be the best one yet. I drove the lexus ls460, Jaguar, and BMW7 Series, which in my opinion was the 2nd best out of the other 2. I love the way the cS class handles, the way you can drive in town or on the expressway."

This beautiful car was built with luxury!

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "You get your money's worth when you buy this car"

Cons: "The car uses a lot of gas for its large motor"

"The body of this car is strong and powerful unlike the body of the cars buit today.. I travel a lot and if you take care of this car it is very reliable. Although this car uses up a lot gas for some reason it is very good on long distance trips. The 1994 Mercedes Benz S 500 has all the comfort and luxury you'll ever need. I love this car especially my car because it has custom bullet proof windows. This is one of the best cars ever built. :+)"