2012 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

7.6

Based on 184 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Love it: Comfy, quiet, roomy, great for road trips

By on Monday, August 29, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, I buy used to price is great; roomy"

Cons: "Several minor glitches are inconvenient, but covered under warranty"

"I love my R-car. Room for all our kids"

By on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"The interior design an quality is not top of the line, and it does have minor issues with operating some of the feature like the GPS (not easy to enter an address) or the seat memory (need to hold the button until it reaches it position every time). BUT, beyond these minor issues, this car drives so quietly, safely and comfortably that it impossible to believe this is an SUVA or minivan. I have had and driven few luxury cars like BMW, Lexus and Mercedes and this one is really rated with the top of the line. The ride and stability just make you feel you are driving the Mercedes S class. For sure much better than most or any of the other SUV's like Lexus Rx or, LX, Audio Q7, etc. Plenty of room for adult at the front and back and large rear doors for easy access to the 3rd row. This is the only SUV I found that really allow an adult to seat relatively comfortably in the 3rd row. So, if you can afford it and need a larger SUV and/or have kids, this the car for you."

By on Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"its a good car. its heavy in starting from stop, but once its rolling its fast. had a problem with gas cap making the check engine light flash. went to mercedes and they fixed it for free after charging my wife $700 for other services."

Great Road car

By on Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"In this recession, we have been driving a lot more for out of town trips. The R500 is great on the road. Plenty of power for the hills, 7 speed transmision makes it a breeze. Very comfortable for 4 passengers, better than airplane seat. I have owned for more than 2 years, no major problems, Only problem is resale value, I purchased new in 2007, value has dropped 40%+ over my purchase price. If you can find one used, it would be a great deal."

Great Quality & Performance

By on Friday, May 15, 2009

"If you want a BIG car this is it. Never a problem. 7 speed gives great smooth performance and 24 mpg highway. Only problem is trade in value. Just tried to trade for BMW and was offered 50% of cost 2 years ago with only 16,000 miles.."

Great family car!

By on Friday, May 8, 2009

"Great car.Runs great even with V6 engine.I had only problem wit AC,but was coverd by warranty.Very cimfortable for a big family.If you don't want a van,this is e perfect car for you!"

Comfort and Quality

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"I have had this car for 3 months and it is the most comfortable car in its class. The quality is excellent as well. The best features are the Panorama roof, rear camera and the parking sensors. The only downside is the gas mileage could be better than the 17mpg that I have been getting between 50/50 city/highway. Also do not expect great power from the 6 cylinder gas engine as this is an extremely heavy vehicle. The many positives outweigh the few negatives on this vehicle and it was great deal, $13,000 off the sticker price on my 2008 R350 4wd with the premium 2 package."

07 R350

By on Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Very good value is you buy it preowned. Positives: Front seats are S-Class quality, Harman Kardon stereo is outstanding, 24mpg highway, panorama roof unbelievable, doesn't drive like a van/SUV Negatives: Does not have the solid feel of MB, rattle around left door (drove 5 different ones and all have same issue), get the Xenons as standard lights are poor, slow acceleration, engine little noisier than I would expect in a MB, horrible navigation (fixed with the hard drive based 09 model)"

R320 cdi

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"A huge disappointment in quality. The car was in the shop for 42 days in the first 11 months. Cimate control varies widely on long trips with no known fix. Transmission is far from smooth when downshifting. It's very comfortable for a family trip but that's all I can say positive"

Wonderful Crossover

By on Sunday, August 31, 2008

"I purchased the 2006 MB R500 preowned with 14K miles... I purchased it at a great price but if I knew I would enjoy this vehicle like this I would gladly pay more... Hands down the best crossover I owned..."

Broken too many times

By on Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"This car is 1 yr 3 months old and has spent 2 weeks of this summer in the shop while on trips. Airmatic system went out while driving 600 miles. Worried the whole way. Check engine and no brakes lit up next- a week to get it fixed. Love the car but not the maintenance even thought its covered now."

Large & comfortable, but disappointing..

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"I bought into the Mercedes concept of the R350 as a "Grand Sport Tourer" , but have been disappointed in so many ways. Although the car is roomy and comfortable for long journeys, it lacks versatility and there are indications that M-B compromised on practicality to achieve a unqiue design style. Visibility is very poor, overall handling is mediocre and the heating and ventilation system is badly configured (for instance, you can only direct warm air to the front screen at full blast!).. This was our first M-B and it may well be our last (back to Audi and Lexus). I have obvious reservations about the car, but my wife, who drives it most of the time, really dislikes it and can't wait for the lease to expire."

My first r350 4matic, regret, regret.

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"We bought this car exactly a month ago, 5/2008 and by far the most unreliable car we"ve owned. We thought MB was the most realiable car, we thought wrong. We couldn't start the car on three different occassions and two trips to the dealership in a month. The car is with the dealer as I review right now. My son missed school twice already since I have to drop him everyday. I hope they find out what is wrong with this car."

Many times at shop

By on Wednesday, June 4, 2008

"On the relaiability and quality side this car had the timing belt change, the rear suspension repaired twice, one of them replacing the whole system, the rear lights are shorted. On the performance side the car chokes when accelerating from slow speed to passing speed. Dealership service is terrible to be MB"

Great car for family

By on Friday, May 23, 2008

"Great car ....excellent ride quality....very reliable......average gas milage but all else is exceptional........owner of new.r350"

head-turner

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"great looking vehicle. i have the 19 inch rims and tires. the tires burn out within 20,000 miles. very costly tires. overall i love the car and i might add the NAV and roof rack. handles great on the interstate and carries my three kids well on long trips. current incentives might make me opt for a 2008."

Worth the money

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"Great car/suv. The only thing it needs is a little more power. It's big and heavy. Other then that it's a great vehicle."

Great Benz

By on Friday, October 5, 2007

"Traded in my C-class for the R-class. Best vehicle decision I've ever made. Needs a little more power and a little quieter drivetrain, but it is a great car."

Great layout, but many, many problems. ($$$)

By on Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pros: "Ride, amenities, cargo space, interior"

Cons: "Poor quality, expensive to repair, unreliable"

"This is a great layout for a family car. It rides like a dream, and with all of the seats folded down, there's little that can't be carried in it. If I could keep the build, and replace everything mechanical about it, I would. At only 65K on a babied, well-maintained car, I have had to replace both rear air struts within 6 months of each other (approx $700 each). Also, the manifold is currently being replaced due to a bad flap ($1600 total repair). The tailgate back sensor has never worked properly, nor have the parking sensors (they go off randomly when driving down the road). I am now being told that the thermostat and cam sensors need to be replaced as well. Even with the car paid off, the repairs are no longer worth keeping the vehicle, which is a real shame. I love the R-Class body, and it is amazing in so many other ways. But it is the most unreliable car I have ever owned."

Good car but service ripoff

By on Friday, September 24, 2010

"Excellent drive, tremendous power on the diesel. I have loved this car for its quiet comfort and fuel economy. The love affair ended when I had to pay for parts. The latch on the lift gate would not lock anymore. Cost me $560. The same week the radiator fan went out. Cost over $1000. This car is less than 3 years old. This is so ridiculous that I will never buy a Mercedes again. Ford makes a great car called the Flex. It's very similar to the R Class. I am surprised by the quality of Ford lately and will probably switch to Ford. Parts are most likely cheaper too."

Best vehicle I've ever owned!!!

By on Tuesday, December 8, 2015

"This is my 2nd R350. The first one was gas-powered and a little under-powered. This new diesel one is quite quick and nimble. With the panorama roof and AWD feature, this car is very functional and fun to drive. The quality is evident everywhere you look. I'm planning on keeping it for a long time."

Best Family Car Ever

By on Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Opulent, Safe"

Cons: "Doesn't fit most parking spaces or garages"

"We needed an all-wheel drive car capable of holding two infants, a double stroller, luggage and 7 passengers. The R was bigger than the E-Wagon or ML, less likely to rollover than any SUV, as large as a GL, all wheel drive, and gargantuanly beautiful. Initially, I was ready to hate it. I read all the reviews about how cheap it looked inside, under powered its V6 gas engine was, and doughy its steering was. Complete baloney! For 55k-65k it has no competitors, none. Inside, contrast stitched elephant skin textured leather adorns the doors all the way up to the dash. At that juncture, smokey polished wood panels take over and caress all surfaces all the way down to the center console compartments, which are also carved out of wood. The vents and cup holders punctuate this with steely chrome. All you need to complete the Hemingway mystique of all this are some Cuban cigars, a bottle of whiskey (it has a bottle opener built into the center console), and a WWI revolver. At his point, I have to say I can't believe we ever considered an Odyssey Touring Elite, which was sea of wobbly plastic, cheap leather, and malfunctioning gizmos. When we test drove them the power tail gate failed in one, the 16" HD screen failed in another, and the engine stalled in the last. Then there were the myriad federal airbag, seatbelt, and sliding door complaints the Odyssey had. You get what you pay for though, for 20k more, the R has zero federal complaints. Not a one. Then, there's the R's ride, which is like lounging in a first-class Euro-Rail cabin. You hear road bumps, but they are distant and soothing thanks to the longest wheel base offered in any Mercedes. Potholes produce a relaxing, cushioned crackle, like biting into a Snickers bar, a good bass sound but won't rattle you. You can change this serenity with the touch of a button. Paddle shift down and the engine screams and launches 5,000lbs of German steel like an angry bison. But even at high speed, it brakes crushingly, shifts like it's on tracks, and you're always in control. There's no tipsyness like in an SUV and no fishtailing like in most other wagons. Finally, this car is safe. It weighs about as much as some full size pickup trucks but puts all that weight into crumple zones and a unibody construction rather than the chassis. Even the doors feel safe as they're as large as a sail on a boat and half a foot thick. You're basically in a vault when you're in this thing."

Disappointing

By on Monday, September 13, 2010

"When I purchased this car it had 9,000 miles on it. When it is not in the shop, the performance and handling is superb! However, I've had many electrical issues with this car. I do not know if it was with the 2006 model only, but this car has been in the shop a total of 2 months for the 2 years I've owned it. One night the car completely shut down and went into limp mode. The car needed to be towed stranding us. The headlights quit working another time and the entire headlight system needed replaced ,which MB stated that it was my fault and I had to dispute that with the threat of an attorney to have my certified warranty cover it. The transmission would not shift on numerous occasions and the fan refused to shut off for a period of time. As a result, the fan and battery needed replaced. It is nearly impossible for someone other than MB to replace the battery on this vehicle b/c the battery is under the passenger seat and to my knowledge there is a tool that only MB dealers have to access it. Maybe the electrical issues have been resolved with the newer models, so take this review for only the 2006 R350. One final thought, MB headquarters becomes hard to deal with once you've had a certain amount of warranty work performed on your vehicle. They tend to start pointing the finger in your direction. The last time I threatened the warranty department with an attorney, they stated, "Our resources are far more than your resources." While I tend to agree with that statement, I thought that was out of line and expected more from a luxury class automoblie company. Do your research and choose wisely."

Fabulous vehicle but be forewarned about repairs

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "driving experience, passenger amenities"

Cons: "reliabilty"

"This is the third MB and the second R. The first R was a 2006 and I traded it in on a new Volvo XC70 as soon as the warranty on the R was up. Usual first model year glitches on the 2006 R and just not worth the annoyance and expense. I soon realized how different the R is from other crossovers. I kept the Volvo XC70 for approximately 6 months then switched to a 2010 R. The level of refinement, driving agility, and passenger comfort are the best features of this vehicle. That having been said my wife has a seven year old E class that has only been to the service center once for anything other then normal maintenance. The R on the other hand is in about every two months. I did purchase the extended warranty which will pay for itself based on past experience. Ultimately, I think buyers are fooling themselves if they expect the repair bills for a $60K car to be comparable to a $30K (insert other American/Japanese brand here) but they will find a higher level of reliability in the other brand. They only produce around 3K R's in Alabama each year and I firmly believe that is the difference between the R and the E. One is built in Alabama and the other is still built in Stuttgart Germany. My next car will be another R but I go in with my eyes open regarding the cost of ownership."

Would be VERY hard to find a more comfortable ride

By on Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pros: "Stylish if you like it. Top notch comfort."

Cons: "expensive if it breaks"

"The Mercedes R350 styling is not for everyone but the handling aspect of this large wagon crossover is surprisingly good. Decent turning radius (although not like an ML), good braking and an extremely smooth ride. Gas mileage is another surprise @ 17 city and 23 highway as long as your under 75 mph. To do that you'll have to use cruise. You can carry lots of "stuff" and the air suspension in the rear will make up for it or you can carry six adults in the three rows of captains buckets in comfort. Good power from the 3.5 liter six w/ the seven speed trans which will learn your driving style. Expensive to fix at the dealership, find a good experienced local shop. Don't be intimidated by the brand, it's a vehicle with lots of value."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Mercedes-Benz R-Class near Honolulu. See local deals