ZIP code

2005 Mercedes-Benz M-Class

7.8

Based on 398 Ratings for the 1998 - 2005 models.

unlike any other

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pros: "high quality"

Cons: "expensive repair"

"Bought it used in 2007 (vehicle made in 2004). Used it for 4 years, still using it, excellent car, no problems at all, i use normal gas and never used synthetic oil, dont thinks is necessary. Highly recommended SUV (unless you have to repair something, it will be extremely expensive of course)"

Great car....still runs and performs with 125K

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "stylish, reliable"

Cons: "could be batter on gas"

"Great car at the present market value....built to run forever...still looks like new....like all SUVs, it could be a lot better with MPG"

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"Bought my 2002 used. What an incredible vehicle. Looks good. Drives flawlessly. The sound system is amazing. Is very comfortable yet very solid and safe. Amazing power for a 6 Am always proud to be seen driving my ML."

ML500 Black w/ Black Leather

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Pros: "Great reliable , good looking and comfortable"

Cons: "Gas mileage not great @ 16mpg --8 cyclinder--"

"Great vehicle that i bought about 15 months ago. Brand new tires, updated transmission box to standard (required at 60k miles) Great condition--rides beautiful---I have three Mercedes and believe in the quality of the product. Selling only due to having too many vehicles. ALL SERVICE UP TO DATE BY DEALER!"

Good long-term if you can handle the repairs.

By on Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pros: "Loads of features, built like a tank, capable."

Cons: "Less than stellar reliability, fuel economy."

"Bought this slightly used for less than 1/2 the sticker price the year it came out (the former owner actually kept the window sticker!). Knew about the reliability issues, so I purchased a 3/36 extended warranty. Boy, was that a great decision! I paid $1995 for the warranty and had well over $9000 in repairs in that 3 year period. Lots of other stupid issues (the biggest is the Crankshaft Position Sensor failures that are rampant throughout the Mercedes product line). My 1992 Ford Explorer (bought new) was bulletproof over that 20-year period. So I'm still scratching my head over the reliability issues. The Mercedes service adviser said that the ML class has gotten much more reliable in the years that have followed, but I definitely will check to confirm that before I buy another. In terms of value, once the big batch of repairs happened, the car has been fairly reliable. Strange, but true. If a repair item comes up, I just pay the $200 to $600 every year or so since the truck has a solid build and lots of features. Buying the current version of this truck would run over $65,000 (mine has loads of options). I drive it hard, and it has been rewarding. The V8 is thirsty (as you'd expect) and requires premium fuel. It needs at least another 50 horsepower, but it still blows off a lot of new vehicles, and the engine is bulletproof (Mercedes is known for that). The transmission is another item. Had it go around the 90,000 mile mark, and I put in a used one - which has held up since then. Lots of safety features and seating for 7 (I have the optional third row seats). I don't use the third [small] row much now since I am not hauling lots of little kids anymore, but the seats can pop right out of the truck (heavy!), or they can stay in place or pivot toward the left and right sides of the truck to give more room in the cargo area. One other thing. This truck EATS brakes! I buy the OEM rotors and pads myself (you can get even cheaper ones but I don't take chances with brakes) and have a local mechanic install them. A LOT cheaper than the $600-800 per end that the dealers charge. I pay more like $250 per end. If you are handy (or have a handy friend), you can buy the parts online and install them far more cheaply than the dealers. Spread across the 10 years I have had the truck, the repairs are not much given what you otherwise get. If the current models really ARE more reliable, I would advise you to consider them."