2012 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 174 Ratings for the 2010 - 2016 models.

Luxury Version Gives Smooth Ride, Comfort

By on Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Pros: "Ride quality, mileage far above EPA estimate"

Cons: "Options are pricey and bundled."

"Lots of cars in this class, lots of choices. You'll like this car, especially the Luxury version if: (1) you want a gentle, comfortable and quiet ride, but still with European feel and control; (2) you want an interior that adds ambience and a high end feel without gimmicks or aggressive styling; (3) you're "of a certain age" and have had enough of the aggressive, loud and hard riding sedans designed for high speed track use, but are far less useful in daily driving You can add features to the basic E350 package, but for me the base car is perfect. You don't get XM/Sirius radio or Navigation, but Bluetooth is standard and pairs easily with my SmartPhone, giving me both features at no added cost. The standard radio is also HD - a nice touch. Basics also include real tires with spare (unlike some competitors), fully adjustable seats with 3 memory settings, power sunroof with tilt feature, LED headlights - (low beam only) and LED taillights, economy/sport mode shifting with paddle shifters on the steering column. Mileage is exceptional - near mid 30s on highway on 65 MPH cruise control; still over 30 up to 70+. I bought a 2015 CPO car from an authorized MB dealer for a very attractive price - maybe the base model car wasn't in high demand, but regardless of the reason for the low price I prefer the base car for many reasons - easy on the wallet, less to go wrong when the warranty expires, has all the things I need. I considered the Audi A6 - another very nice car, with a very attractive interior. I preferred the MB V6 instead of the standard 4 cylinder in the Audi and felt that the MB 7 speed transmission was far smoother than the Audi. Compared to the BMW 5 the MB has a far better ride - the BMW comes with run flat tires - very rough ride on all surfaces (I've owned 5 BMWs, wish they didn't change the tires). The MB also has a more attractive interior, and is noticeably more comfortable on the road. I tried the Jaguar XF - didn't like the very high sill height - felt very claustrophobic in the car, and for shorter drivers the A pillar is too close to your head for my taste. The Lexus E class is "OK", but I don't like the feel of the front wheel drive and found the car somewhat boring to drive. It's a very well made car, but it just didn't work for me. I'm sure you'll have other opinions from mine, but I'd urge you to at least take a look at the MB for yourself before deciding on another car in this category. Like me you may be surprised and find that "This is the one"."

I have enjoyed this car.

By on Thursday, May 21, 2015

Pros: "It drives and steers wonderfully and great safety"

Cons: "expensive"

"I have enjoyed this car."

Awesome combination of comfort and power

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Incredibly comfortable and responsive at the same."

"Prefer it over the S550"

seats uncomfortable

By on Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"seats uncomfortable and hard"

Very safe 5500 Lb car gets 42-43mpg at 70-75 mph

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Cons: "Steering wheel blocks turn signal indicators"

"Turbo diesel Bluetec has great pickup, quiet, no diesel smell or fumes/soot of old ones, great mileage, large 20 gal fuel tank that will outlast my bladder going ~800 miles on a single tank...! Prefer the 2006-2009 euro style with bug eye oval headlites vs the "slant-eyed" looking headlites, more like the asian vehicles ( toyota, nissan, lexus, infiniti, etc...), than this taller, bigger bulkier current version. Probably so more overweight Americans can get into them... Backup camera fantastic...accurate to park within ~2 inches. Need one for the front that turns on under 5mph...instead of the yellow/red proximity LEDs. Get rid of steering wheel shift paddles or make console shifter an option."