2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 507 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

Was engineered for the Autobahn.

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "Rock soild and safe"

Cons: "People will think you are wealthy"

"Best part about owning this car is the cost. I paid $8000 8 years ago for it. New was over $50,000. People think it costs a lot to repair but it's not any more than any 10+ year old car out there. In fact if you are mechanically minded and are willing to do a little online research you will find this a joy to work on. The engineering was over and beyond anything I have ever owned, in fact everything that needs to be worked on has easy access or has a peculiar trick that makes working on this a breeze. This car has been driven from coast to coast and it is a joy on long road trips. People always comment on how nice this car looks and drives. Funny since it's worth less than $3000.00 . Here's the negative. I have the original chrome wheels. Unless you have new tires mounted they will leak and 4 new chrome wheels cost more than the car. "Chrome looks the best hands down on older Mercedes". My car in particular is old and it has it's issues. Drive train is rock solid but there's always some little issue cropping up. Emissions is more complicated but everything is fairly easy to fix. Oil change is a breeze, remove filter without getting under the car. Everyone should own a Mercedes at least once in their lifetime. I'm looking at replacing this with another 10 year old Mercedes."

Best car I have ever own for the money.

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "Very dependable"

Cons: "Costly repairs but not that often."

"I've owned several high end cars and usually trade them in before I get close to +80k miles. But this car even now drives and performs like a newer car. I often wondered why I would see several older models on the road now I know why they don't quite. Repairs are on the high end but not as often. Well worth the money I paid new."

E-300 Diesel Review

By on Thursday, May 1, 2008

"Super dependable, however just about everything outside of the drive trian and brakes has broken. My wife's Pontiac's sunfire has a better track record. Electrical switches are all failing one by one, suspension has had several costly issues, and the AC components constantly fail. All are documented issues online. Good to great fuel economy, have reached 38 Mpg traveling at 70 Mph, but don't expect this to be a worry free fuel-up-and-go car."

Solid Family Car

By on Thursday, December 6, 2007

"I bought a 2001 E320 with 120,000 miles in 2004. Drove it for nearly 4 years and had no major maintenance problem. Had to change both catalytic convertors ($1200 ea) and replaced both rear windows regulators. I followed the "A" and "B" maintenance schedules using a local MB mechanic. I really enjoy driving the car, and I do a lot of driving. I feel safe with two kids in the rear seat. It has 186,000 miles now, and still runs great and is as comfortable as my living room chair. Safe car for mothers with small children."

One of the best values for money in a used car.

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Quality, MPG, Luxury, Price, Reliability."

Cons: "It's not an S-Class?"

"I have owned this car for quite a few years. The first thing i am going to say is, what a great car! The interior layout is very conducive to comfort. The controls are placed in all the logical places. And the quality in craftsmanship is top notch. This is the last year before MB and Chrysler merger. And the quality is pure MB. My 320 is a de-badged SPORT model. So there are a few upgrades from the standard equipment model. And for a mid sized sedan it handles beautifully. With 161k on the trip you would think there would be some normal wear and tear items needing repair. But the truth is that there really isn't anything mechanically wrong with this car. My plan is to definitely replace this one down the road with a newer C300 SPORT. But I cant see myself ever getting rid of this one. Bottom line, great car. And for the money i don't think there is a better deal out there."