1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 508 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

2001 4matic magic wagon

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"I've had this car for about 1.5 years now and it has been great. With 116k miles on it I have had almost no problems. My wife drives it everyday around town and we've had it out on a couple of long road trips. The ride is smooth and economy is good. This car replaced a 97 Expedition so it cracks me up when people say the mileage isn't so good. We average about 20 mpg on our everyday driving and on the road I've gotten up to 28, however when you push it over 80 mph it drops to about 25 mpg. It cruises nice at high speeds and you have to be careful because it doesn't feel like your going very fast at all. This has been a very reliable and comfortable vehicle with tons of room for what ever. It would be a bit better on those long road trips if it had adjustible lumbar support and blew a bit more air out the rear AC vents"

Great car!

By on Friday, April 4, 2008

"I love my MB E320. I live on a budget and I purchased this car pre-owned and have had no problems whatsoever. I get oil changes and have a great mechanic. I change cars every 3 years, but I can't find a reason to buy a new car; this one may very well last forever. You can't go wrong."

Built like a Panzer Tank

By on Friday, February 22, 2008

"Love this car. Bought my '99 E320 wagon at 36000 miles in Jan 2005, now Feb 2008 and 75000 miles and still runs like new. Right after I got it I had an oil comsumption problem which turned out to be a free recall fix on bad piston rings... Got almost complete rebuild for free! Hasn't used a drop between oil changes since. Also Love the fact you can go 12000 plus miles between oil changes with flex service. Had to replace Cats, one under warranty one not... Only time it stranded me for a fix was some engine position sensor went bad and it wouldn't start or run without it... The sunroof problem has to do with voltage.. If you run too much accessories and wear your battery down, the sunroof thinks it's jammed and stops, all you have to do is turn the key on but don't start it and hold the sunroof control forward for 30 seconds or so(there is a VERY faint click, but I hardly ever hear it) then start the car and it resets the safety override... Might sell if I can find the right buyer but would drive it for another 3 years no problem! I have started to see some rust poking through at the tops of the wheel arches but after investigation, the original owner was in Michigan so there you go... Only negative is I live 60 miles from authorized service so it's a pain to go up there for service, good news is it's once a year!"

Stay Away

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"Worst car I have ever owned, constantly in the shop. Right rear taillight panel gone out...had to be totally replaced, MB dealer said this is common, entire driveshaft snapped in two during rush hour on interstate...took forever to get fixed because parts are hard to get, sunroof has quit working twice now, opens but won't close. Constant electrical problems that can't seem to be fixed, ABS, EAS other numerous idiot lights come on and go off at random. I hate the fact you can't even buy a replacement bulb for taillight, etc at AutoZone or any other parts store, must get from dealership. Cost of oil change has gone from $49.99 to $79.99 in past year. VERY EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN."

You've lost that lovin feelin'

By on Sunday, September 2, 2007

"This car is my third and last MB. The 85 and the 92 MB were shining examples of excellent engineering but the 2000 is junk. I can't even start to list all of the problems. Not only have there been annual repeated mechanical problems with the car but it started rusting through after only four years. Mercedes Benz USA told me I was out of warranty! I spent $5000 in 2005 to fix the rust and this spring (07) it started rusting through in other spots. In june of this year the cat converters started going and I was told by the dealer that I was not covered ($2200 repair) and the front end needed another $1000 because it rattled worse than my first 1960 Chevy! I've called MBUSA many times but they won't do anything and forget about even getting a call back if you leave a message. I think their "customer care" people learned how to treat customers at the motor vehicle department. Most of my friends that owned MBs have sold theirs and gone to other more reliable brands. As one of them said "well I got the German car bug out of my system the hard way" Rather than fix the cats, the rust and the front end I traded the car for a Japanese lux sedan. I'd rather be audited be the IRS than own another MB. Mercedes: "Expensive and built to stay that way""

I love this car

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

Pros: "Acceration, comfort, handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Dealer repairs can be pricey."

"Every time I think I want a new car I ask myself why I would want to get rid of this one? Is very quick with the V-8, get 24mpg+ on the highway, handles very well. Is comfortable, quiet, and a great long distance runner. If I trade it, it will be for another one."

Very comfortable and turns heads

By on Sunday, April 8, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, tons of features, powerful, stylish"

Cons: "some parts are expensive"

"Very comfortable car, has every feature you can imagine, powerful V8 with the sports package is a nice combination, and decent fuel economy for a V8 on the Highway, very reliable and stable car, sure makes people look twice and stare because its a good looking ride... cost of ownership is above average because of parts but i am a DIY'er so i saved a lot of money that way, its not that hard of a car to work on thanks to the mercedes forums."

Love this vehicle

By on Monday, January 9, 2012

Pros: "rides great, runs great"

Cons: "mercedes benz maintenance costs"

"This car is everything as advertised plus 29 miles per gallon on the highway. You drive for 4 hours and get out like you only went around the block."

I love my 2002 E320!!

By on Friday, May 13, 2011

"I bought this car 5 years ago, with 30,000 miles on it and I've been smiling ever since. I have 78,000 miles now and it is still like new to me. I get regular maintenance. I've had no major problems. I've just replaced the brakes and light bulbs. I'm planning to drive it until the bumper falls off in the street."

The good, the bad and the ugly

By on Saturday, March 8, 2008

"The ride is great and I love the mpg. It's slow on the take off and takes a little geting use to. The bad things are the little things that go wrong (power seat switches, dash warning lights, glow plugs, window up and down motors in the rear, rear window shade, fuel connections leaks, etc.) and it is expensive to fix, but the motor will last forever and it permanently keeps up with the Jone's."