1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 507 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

You've lost that lovin feelin'

By on Sunday, September 2, 2007

"This car is my third and last MB. The 85 and the 92 MB were shining examples of excellent engineering but the 2000 is junk. I can't even start to list all of the problems. Not only have there been annual repeated mechanical problems with the car but it started rusting through after only four years. Mercedes Benz USA told me I was out of warranty! I spent $5000 in 2005 to fix the rust and this spring (07) it started rusting through in other spots. In june of this year the cat converters started going and I was told by the dealer that I was not covered ($2200 repair) and the front end needed another $1000 because it rattled worse than my first 1960 Chevy! I've called MBUSA many times but they won't do anything and forget about even getting a call back if you leave a message. I think their "customer care" people learned how to treat customers at the motor vehicle department. Most of my friends that owned MBs have sold theirs and gone to other more reliable brands. As one of them said "well I got the German car bug out of my system the hard way" Rather than fix the cats, the rust and the front end I traded the car for a Japanese lux sedan. I'd rather be audited be the IRS than own another MB. Mercedes: "Expensive and built to stay that way""

I love this car

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

Pros: "Acceration, comfort, handling, gas mileage"

Cons: "Dealer repairs can be pricey."

"Every time I think I want a new car I ask myself why I would want to get rid of this one? Is very quick with the V-8, get 24mpg+ on the highway, handles very well. Is comfortable, quiet, and a great long distance runner. If I trade it, it will be for another one."

Very comfortable and turns heads

By on Sunday, April 8, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, tons of features, powerful, stylish"

Cons: "some parts are expensive"

"Very comfortable car, has every feature you can imagine, powerful V8 with the sports package is a nice combination, and decent fuel economy for a V8 on the Highway, very reliable and stable car, sure makes people look twice and stare because its a good looking ride... cost of ownership is above average because of parts but i am a DIY'er so i saved a lot of money that way, its not that hard of a car to work on thanks to the mercedes forums."

Love this vehicle

By on Monday, January 9, 2012

Pros: "rides great, runs great"

Cons: "mercedes benz maintenance costs"

"This car is everything as advertised plus 29 miles per gallon on the highway. You drive for 4 hours and get out like you only went around the block."

I love my 2002 E320!!

By on Friday, May 13, 2011

"I bought this car 5 years ago, with 30,000 miles on it and I've been smiling ever since. I have 78,000 miles now and it is still like new to me. I get regular maintenance. I've had no major problems. I've just replaced the brakes and light bulbs. I'm planning to drive it until the bumper falls off in the street."