1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 507 Ratings for the 1996 - 2002 models.

love it

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "fun, gorgeous, powerful enough"

Cons: "suspension is subpar"

fresh

"love it, but unfortunately i have to sell it. at this mileage its turned into a money pit, but its going to be hard to let go"

fresh

2001 4matic magic wagon

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"I've had this car for about 1.5 years now and it has been great. With 116k miles on it I have had almost no problems. My wife drives it everyday around town and we've had it out on a couple of long road trips. The ride is smooth and economy is good. This car replaced a 97 Expedition so it cracks me up when people say the mileage isn't so good. We average about 20 mpg on our everyday driving and on the road I've gotten up to 28, however when you push it over 80 mph it drops to about 25 mpg. It cruises nice at high speeds and you have to be careful because it doesn't feel like your going very fast at all. This has been a very reliable and comfortable vehicle with tons of room for what ever. It would be a bit better on those long road trips if it had adjustible lumbar support and blew a bit more air out the rear AC vents"

Great car!

By on Friday, April 4, 2008

"I love my MB E320. I live on a budget and I purchased this car pre-owned and have had no problems whatsoever. I get oil changes and have a great mechanic. I change cars every 3 years, but I can't find a reason to buy a new car; this one may very well last forever. You can't go wrong."

Built like a Panzer Tank

By on Friday, February 22, 2008

"Love this car. Bought my '99 E320 wagon at 36000 miles in Jan 2005, now Feb 2008 and 75000 miles and still runs like new. Right after I got it I had an oil comsumption problem which turned out to be a free recall fix on bad piston rings... Got almost complete rebuild for free! Hasn't used a drop between oil changes since. Also Love the fact you can go 12000 plus miles between oil changes with flex service. Had to replace Cats, one under warranty one not... Only time it stranded me for a fix was some engine position sensor went bad and it wouldn't start or run without it... The sunroof problem has to do with voltage.. If you run too much accessories and wear your battery down, the sunroof thinks it's jammed and stops, all you have to do is turn the key on but don't start it and hold the sunroof control forward for 30 seconds or so(there is a VERY faint click, but I hardly ever hear it) then start the car and it resets the safety override... Might sell if I can find the right buyer but would drive it for another 3 years no problem! I have started to see some rust poking through at the tops of the wheel arches but after investigation, the original owner was in Michigan so there you go... Only negative is I live 60 miles from authorized service so it's a pain to go up there for service, good news is it's once a year!"

Stay Away

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"Worst car I have ever owned, constantly in the shop. Right rear taillight panel gone out...had to be totally replaced, MB dealer said this is common, entire driveshaft snapped in two during rush hour on interstate...took forever to get fixed because parts are hard to get, sunroof has quit working twice now, opens but won't close. Constant electrical problems that can't seem to be fixed, ABS, EAS other numerous idiot lights come on and go off at random. I hate the fact you can't even buy a replacement bulb for taillight, etc at AutoZone or any other parts store, must get from dealership. Cost of oil change has gone from $49.99 to $79.99 in past year. VERY EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN."