1995 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Based on 105 Ratings for the 1994 - 1995 models.

Best combination of luxury and fuel economy

By on Sunday, July 31, 2016

Pros: "excellent value, great fuel economy"

Cons: "somewhat slow acceleration"

"Having owned and driven a Toyota Prius Hybrid for many years, I became accustomed to very high gas mileage. Of course in the Prius, that came with the sacrifice of a smaller more compact car, ride comfort, etc. Now enter my 1995 E300 Mercedes diesel, what a car. I have never driven a full size sedan and experienced this type fuel economy. I have experienced as much as 45mpg highway with this car. Now, you will never win a quarter mile race as this car is non-turbo, but boy is it efficient. Once the engine warms up you can cruise at 70 to 80 mph and expect at least 38 to 40 mpg. Don't know of another full sizes sedan as efficient."

The ever lasting young classics

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "A TRUE E-class with Economy"

Cons: "Gear change can be pretty rough sometimes!"

"Instead of paying so much maintaining a car, this E-class is a true economical plus practical car. I love the big interior space, big windows with nice and clear views, great mileage figure mine E220 is running on a 23mpg on combine cycle. In sum, this is a car that would last forever, and it's low cost to most people, at the same time, the timeless design of a practical car, and considered to be young classic car according to the BENZ museum."

Excellent value

By on Thursday, January 14, 2010

"I bought this car three years ago and I am amazed at nice it still looks and ride (like new and it is 16 years old). Parts I have gotten (brake pads, plug and wires) are less than the same parts for Japanese cars. Get great gas mileage (almost 30 on the highway). Only issue in 3 years was the original battery failed but luckily I was near a Walmart when it happened - So I went in and got a replacement. The only problem with the car is that you have to watch your speed. These cars want to run and you can be up to 100 mph and not even know it - But it does have an excellent cruise control and I suggest you use it to keep your speed in check."

Super car

By on Monday, December 28, 2009

"Car is terriffic. Ride, power mileage (24+), comfort and snob appeal. Disappointed at BB value after 15 years. Would buy it again. Rear sitting room tight. Engine is best MB ever made. Rosd review in 1995 says: "Best sedan we've tested, period." Definitely a driver's car...no cup holders or glove box! Very European!"

long term investment

By on Friday, January 23, 2009

"We got this 1995 E320 cabriolet in 2005 with 88k miles. Originally $85k, we paid $17k; now has 123k miles. We anticipated some repairs and it's needed about $7k: new tranny, fan motor, head gasket, and minor electrical issues like switches, relays, etc. This may continue but we are v happy! It is safe, fast, solid, quiet, well-made, beautiful, elegant. We think it will eventually rise in value like the 60s and 70s era MB cabriolets have. In spite of $2500 avg annual maint. costs, we feel it is a bargain and much better quality compared with new MB convertibles. Find a good MB mechanic, not the dealer. We think it is a v good value esp if kept a long time. Changing cars every few yrs is expensive. Insurance for 10+ yr old cars is cheap. These are fully depreciated. So the maintenance we feel is acceptable and worth it. Yes, Toyotas are def. cheaper (we've had one 10 yrs) but much less of a pleasure. We never see another car we would rather have! We really enjoy it. We've also had 3 MBs built after 2000, all disappointing compared with this. We feel this is one of the last MBs built that are worth keeping, and it is still reliable and practical to drive every day. If you want bulletproof, cheap value, get a Camry, they need nothing. But if you want something special and can live with the repairs, this is an excellent choice and, we think, long term investment."