2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 835 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Excellent used vehicle value!

By on Monday, December 26, 2016

Pros: "Comfortable, quiet, good handling, reliable"

Cons: "Rear access, possible rust"

"I bought my 2006 Mercedes Benz C280 4 Matic sedan two and half years ago in 2014 and have never regretted it. My vehicle had about 78000 miles on it but had been well maintained. I had done a lot of research on Consumers Report and on other websites and found that the Mercedes Benz V6 had a good to better reliability record. Many website reviews by other owners recommended buying an extended warranty just to provide peace of mind for a used vehicle. I bought a two year 24000 mile extended warranty. I was glad I did. About six months later I took my vehicle to an after market German auto repair shop who stated that I needed a manifold sensor and a new steering rack. The repair would have cost a total of $6000 for parts and labor but my warranty covered everything but the $250 deductible --- well worth the $2500 I paid for the warranty. By the way, having a trustworthy aftermarket German repair shop that is nearby is a big plus. If you do not have a reliable mechanic who is familiar with German cars you might want to reconsider a used car purchase. Since then I have had absolutely no problems with this vehicle outside of regular maintenance. This vehicle has wonderful front seats, a quiet, comfortable ride, with very capable yet not sporty handling. With the V6 it accelerates well and yet gets 29 MPG on the road. Since I live in Colorado I wanted a vehicle with all wheel drive and have had no problems getting around in the snow with all season tires. One negative is tight access to people getting into the back seat. Yet once inside the rear seat is very comfortable for a car this size. Another negative is a small rusty spot at the bottom of the driver's side door that I missed upon inspection. I have noticed that other Mercedes models produced during this year sometimes have this same issue. So the doors need to checked out. Other than the two negatives mentioned this is an overall great used car value that I would indeed recommend to a friend."

Breathtaking Performance

By on Thursday, August 4, 2016

Pros: "Exceptional Performance"

Cons: "Poor HID light design, no dipstick"

"I rescued my poor C32 from an abusive owner who had decided to cover it in blue plastic dip. There were quite a few things wrong with the vehicle which took my about 2 weeks to address. Search any MB forums and it was the typical things you would expect for this vehicle this age and not well taken care of. After about $500 dollars invested in the vehicle all I can say is it is an extraordinary vehicle to drive. It feels like it is glued to the road and a gentle nudge on the accelerator brings smooth, instant and incredible acceleration. The vehicle is so comfortable and enjoyable to drive it is hard to believe someone would abuse it so. Keep in mind, I do all of the work on my vehicles so my guess is bringing it to the dealer would have been a $3000 bill but if you are a DIY type who likes to surf MB forums you might be as lucky as I was."

Exquisitely machined engine

By on Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pros: "best of all worlds"

Cons: "rear sun shade broke after 7 years of working well"

"The performance out of this little 189hb super charged 4 cylinder is impressive. I can hit 120 with ease and she just gets more solid. Handling is about as precise as I have ever experienced (short of the Porsche 911 but for a sedan she's hot) The biggest drawback on this baby is the tires are different circumference on the rear so no rotation is possible front to back, and the Michelins are directional so no rotation right to left (making tire pressure critical) and the low front air dam keeps coming in contact with parking stops, destroys the fiberglass which has been repaired twice in the 8 years I've owned this mean sleek speed machine (top mpg was 35)"

Need deep pockets...

By on Saturday, May 14, 2011

"In some ways I have loved my C230 Kompressor, but hated it in other ways. The engine/motor, transmission, etc., are brilliant! The car looks and drives great. Mercedes really skimped on quality though. While I love the car, I must say I have also been very disappointed in the quality. I've had to have the sunroof fixed twice, and it is broken again. The A/C has gone out twice, and and is far too overpriced to be worth fixing a second time. Everything on the interior (all cheap little plastic bits), such as window switches and parts of door panels, is either broken, or breaking. Nothing about this car is at all a reasonable expense to fix or replace. That said, the most important parts are still solid German Engineering genius, and have given me no major problems at all. It is such a joy and pleasure to drive (except in muggy Florida summer with no A/C)."

Excellent Ride

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"Love my Mercedes. I bought it used and it's been about 8 months and I have no complaints. Fun to drive and pretty classy."