2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 835 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

I've had this car 7 years and still LOVE it!

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Drives great & great styling."

Cons: "Seat sits a little low even if you move it up."

"This car drives like a dream with a responsive feel. I purchased mine new in 2006 and still have it. It gets good gas mileage 21 city and up to 28-29 on highway. Mine is silver w/black interior and it is still beautiful."

Pretty good car, some cheap plastic parts

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Great car, very reliable, maintenance is not very expensive since it does not need it as frequently as other cars. There are some plastic parts (door handles, cup holders) that are poorly made and have broken from regular use. Considering the price of the car and reputation of the company, I would have expected the interior door handles (all 4 front and back) to not BREAK within the first 5 years of the cars life....But everything else is pretty great."

awesome vehicle - Great gas mileage 30mpg

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"One of the best cars I ever own. Fun to drive. Great gas milealge for a 10 yr old car. MB must have known something with this one."

never again

By on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Stay away of the C class. I have owned a 01 C320 for 2 yrs and had nothing but problems. I have replaced the alternator, starter sensors, and had to have the codes cleared by the dealer many times. Now it is at the dealer needing a $2700 transmission repair. Mercedes does a fine job of over complicating its cars not to mention the outrageous cost of service. You will get the looks but its not worth the cost of keeping it on the road."

Great Value for the cost

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"The Mercedes line is a GREAT value for the money. Sure, you can spend 30,000 elsewhere for a new car, but you won't get years of free service, the millions of dollars of research built into your car to make it the best on the road. With regard to our supercharged C class, we have had only ONE problem in 4 years of owning it. The lock on the driver door bounces up and down, which required a quick trip to the dealership. This is why I rated it 4/5 for reliability. I have owned TONS of cars from sport to saloon, domestic to exotic, and by far this was our best purchase. Performance wise, the engine and transmission runs like new. With the suggested tire pressures, it will handle like a large sports car. The 6 speed manual is notchy in first, but shifts flawlessly and solifdly each change of the gate. There is just NO slop in the construction. The lines and beauty are second to none for this price point. The plastic inside is not cheap flimsy garbage you find on US cars, and the cupholder is a funny example of how much engineering money went into even the lowest line of Mercedes Benz models sold in the US. I rated comfort a 4/5 because it is a Mercedes, but with sport suspension, the idea is not truly comfort. It is stiffer than the "base model" luxury line but that is a good point. Most people don't buy an AMG version to drive it nicely across the highways, rather go bash it on a hill or twisty road, or even out on a track for a club event. Regardless, it is still quiet as can be, and the rear seating is akin to a fine buisness jet seat with it's a/c vents and well thought out lighting and access points. The front cockpit area featured heated seats, a large navigation screen, fiber optic controls on the steering wheel for your drivers information screen, individual thermostats, and so much more. The car checks tires, oil, fluids, brake pad wear, and even tells you if a bulb is out from INSIDE the car. We've NEVER had the hood up on our car. The braking assist is a nifty safety feature coupled with the full compliment of auto locking seat belts and airbags throughout. If the car senses you screaming down toward a large object, it will begin to deploy the brakes before you can reach your foot to the pedal. Phone intergration is simple with a small module added to an ethernet plug in the chilled and heated center console. the console has a vent control to allow heat or cooled air from the hvac system to flow into it near the rear. This was good for carrying a sandwich and a drink on a recent trip to Wyoming. The other little features that make this car far excel it's comeptitors are the icing on the cake. A rear window shade the automatically deploys, self dimming mirrors, auto-up and down window switches on all sides, heated seats (that actually heat), durable seats that show no wear even after 73,000 miles (check a lexus after 1/4 that many miles), vented disc brakes, ABS and Stability systems are just some. Bottom line. If you want a car that is YOURS and not makes you conform to the rat race, if you want something that doesn't cause your wallet to cry each time you reach for it, and if you enjoy adorning your drive with something you can appreciate for yearrs to come, Mercedes Benz C class is the way to go. I would shy away from any used luxury line Mercedes benz because they were less expensive than the sport models. The engines produced less power and the first owner would have had to wring it out to get the same speed you'd get from a sport engine, causing more end result wear. Further, the more expensive your mercedes was when it came from the factory, the likely it was better maintained because the owner could afford to do so. Not something you'll find often in a Caddy, 3 series BMW, Lex, or many other US or Oriental cars. Merc spent MILLIONS on development of this car, and it really shows. Beauty, classy lines, reliablility, heritage, and a quickly appreciating value, not to mention OUTSTANDING dealer network support of any of their cars. This is the way to go. The best way to fall in love with a Mercedes is to simply go drive one."

Reliable, solid as a bank vault, reasonable mpg.

By on Saturday, February 8, 2014

Pros: "solidity, reliability, prestige, safety."

Cons: "can't think of any"

"Have owned this '02 model since '05. It has not developed one single squeak or clunk since we've had it. Everything still works just like the first day we owned it. Drives really easy and good on long trips for two. Service a little pricey, but it doesn't need much besides oil changes. I'd get in it and drive to New York tomorrow with no reservations."

I love my car!!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "Very safe (built strong), sound system"

Cons: "Price to maintain"

"I bought this car 2yrs ago and I love it. It's just very expensive to maintain I just spent $598.62 for a new alternator. The electrical system sucks lol. But over all this car is very safe I had an accident I was hit from behind by a Jeep Cherokee the front of his truck was a wreck and I had a small dent I was very happy that I chose Mercedes Benz"

Love it if your single

By on Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pros: "supper cute, very nice, reliable"

Cons: "interier way too small, expensive to upkeep"

"I love this car! But there isn't enough room once I had kids. My husband hates it because it is way too small for him to be comfortable. My Dad can barely squeeze himself into the passanger seat. But, for me, when I was a single girl... it was PERFECT!"

2005 C240 4matic sedan Silver/Black

By on Thursday, October 29, 2009

"Bought this car with 86K miles on it. Very nervous about cost of ownership at first but this car has driven like a dream for the 3 months I have owned it. Had to replace outside ambient air temp sensor ($15) installed myself. Not really the cars fault, sensor sticks out of front bumper and is right in the path of any stones that are picked up. Averaging around 20-22 mpg. This car is built very solid and the ride quaility is amazing. 4matic is a drean on wet roads, almost impossible to hydroplane. You just feel safe in it. Acceleration is nothing to brag about, my old RSX/S would have killed it but who cares! Performance on the highway is more than adequate. After reading several reviews I would recommend this model to anyone, BUT take your car on a long test drive and put it through its paces before you buy it so any hidden faults will show themselves. Stayed clear of the 01-04 C-class due to reported reliability issues plus I prefer the post-facelift interior. I also liked the light color gray interior at first, but opted for black because I have read several places the light interior is a pain to keep clean."

Picked this up used, Pleasantly Surprised

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Good engineering,"

Cons: "Everyone tries to rip you off for repairs"

"Mechanically pretty solid. The value depreciates pretty quickly so you can pick up one pretty cheaply. Handles well in all weather even though it's RWD. Fuel economy is good; I get about 8 l/100km city and 7 l/100km on the highway after the engine is warm. The previous owner tried to do some repairs himself and didn't do a very good job, so I had to deal with that. But other than that, the repairs have been routine stuff: battery, tires, brake pads, belts. The only downside is garages try to gouge you for repairs because of the brand. I was quoted $2800 for replacing the springs on the front axle and about $1500 for replacing a front torquing arm. I turned down those repairs."