2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

8.2

Based on 835 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

I love this car!

By on Friday, August 9, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "not cheep to maintain"

"It is a sports car in a soccer mom's body. Handles great with plenty of get-up and go power. I love all the extras and the sound system is the best I have ever heard in a factory install. I have owned mine for almost 3 years and I plan on keeping it for years to come."

Quick,quality,relaible, luxurious and comfortable

By on Thursday, June 13, 2013

Pros: "Really fun to drive. So much less $$$"

Cons: "She needs premium fuel"

"Quality German engineering in a smaller package. Quick as can be - extremely comfortable with none of the luxuries of the larger cars left out. Great in corners and on long highway trips. Never get tired of driving her. From climate control to cruise control to the moon roof and stereo, the car operates as a luxury auto should. Very smooth and quiet. Operating costs a bit higher with premium gas and an average of city/hwy fuel consumption a real 25 mpg. Remember - this is the BIG engine with lots of horses. Don't let the outside size fool you. Very comfortable for 4 people and a good sized trunk. Unless you need or want the larger E or S class - this size car really fills the bill. You will not be disappointed!"

Great value, fun to drive

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pros: "Awesome handling."

Cons: "Tire burner"

"We bought this 2004 car in 2008 in anticipation duaghter driving it. My wife decided to drive it instead and gave her car to my daughter to drive. When I finally gave it to ny daughter, she immediately fell in love with the car. It's fun to drive, economical, can jump when you push it, and rides smooth at autobahn speeds. Been reliable, runs great - biggest downside: we have the sport model (which is like driving on rails) but the low-profile, high performance tires we kept on that car were not cheap. Upside, better gas mileage than reported."

Great car.

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, 13000 miles between services."

Cons: "When the 13000 miles are up, expect $200.00 bill"

"I did alot of research before making my purchase and found a few negative issues which seemed to occur in regaurds to the car. Of these the only one I have experienced was the interior handle on the driverside door breaking loose. I fixed it myself. I average 25.5-28 mpg depending on the time of year and how agressive I feel like driving. I drive 29 miles to and from work every day and to the gym 18 miles each way three times a week for an average of 398 miles. To do this on one tank or less of fuel is important to me. I also have ran the car with midgrade fuel and never had a problem 50,000 miles without any so far. I love this car and would reccomend it to anyone who wants a sporty car with all the comforts of a Benz, and in my oopinion also gets above average gas milage."

Electronic problems

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"Suprisingly good gas mileage for a fairly high-performance car. Very comfortable and quiet. Has had problems with electronics since day-1. Still running well after 8 years and 140,000 miles."

Great car

By on Monday, June 23, 2008

"THIS AUTOMOBILE has all the E-Class bells and whistles but in a more managable size. Gets 30 mpg on the highway and 18 in city driving, solid as a bank vault."

Expected More From Mercedes

By on Sunday, January 22, 2017

Pros: "superior engineering and design; nice ride;"

Cons: "High price; expensive post-warranty maintenance"

"I am the original owner of this vehicle. It's been fun to drive, and well maintained. Still looks great. But total cost of ownership was a bit disappointing due to exorbitant parts replacement costs from time to time. And this was on a very low mileage and very lightly driven vehicle. I probably wouldn't buy the same vehicle again, or even another different model MBZ."

excellent vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Pros: "good acceleration, comfort, and safety"

Cons: "maintenance at dealer is expensive"

"I bought a 2002 C 230 compressor for my daughter on her 16th birthday. She turned 27 this year and the car has only had two problems in eleven years: the air conditioning had a minor problem and a leak developed in the sunroof. Otherwise its been routine maintenance. Had some moron not rear-ended her at 50 mph last week, the car would have carried on for another 10 years. The important news is that she suffered no injury which is the best recommendation I could possibly make. No rust either and the car has been in snow country the entire time. If you are looking for a good, safe and reliable car and only have a couple of thousand to spend, I can't think of a better car. Just keep syntheic oil in it and you'll be ok."

Breathtaking Performance

By on Thursday, August 4, 2016

Pros: "Exceptional Performance"

Cons: "Poor HID light design, no dipstick"

"I rescued my poor C32 from an abusive owner who had decided to cover it in blue plastic dip. There were quite a few things wrong with the vehicle which took my about 2 weeks to address. Search any MB forums and it was the typical things you would expect for this vehicle this age and not well taken care of. After about $500 dollars invested in the vehicle all I can say is it is an extraordinary vehicle to drive. It feels like it is glued to the road and a gentle nudge on the accelerator brings smooth, instant and incredible acceleration. The vehicle is so comfortable and enjoyable to drive it is hard to believe someone would abuse it so. Keep in mind, I do all of the work on my vehicles so my guess is bringing it to the dealer would have been a $3000 bill but if you are a DIY type who likes to surf MB forums you might be as lucky as I was."

Best car ever !!

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, very soft."

Cons: "No GPS included and no back camera."

"I simply loved it, the way it drives, the steadiness, the comfort, versatile, the perfect power when needed. Not bad on gas quantities."

Bpoght it new in 2002

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Drives grest"

Cons: "has some rust."

"This is my third Mercedes and it still drives great. Just got a newer one and like the 2002 better."

Fabulous car!

By on Monday, November 25, 2013

Pros: "sporty, classy and fun to drive."

Cons: "poor tire wear"

"Slightly underpowered but a blast to drive. Manual transmission is crisp and has the perfect throws. Consistently 30+ mpg on trips.One ouchy AC compressor replacement but other than that just tires, oil and maintenance. Sport model handles better than most high end sports cars. A wolf in sheeps clothing on the twisty roads."

Sexy

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

"I love this car I bought mine used in 2007. It has held up pretty well, however my car has gotten a lot louder as it has gotten up in mileage. Overall the cars design is sexy and classy. I love the pep the car has and feel great driving it. I would definitely buy another one. Maintenance is expensive but what do you expect its a benz."

Under "9" review is only it's not a BMW.

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "Heavy and safe."

Cons: "None, if one is looking for a well kept 2002 Benz."

"I bought this car, certified pre-owned, in 2004. Being really good about maintaining service for all the years and mileage since...it's been a safe, heavy and reliable car for me. I still love driving a Benz, but I just want to go back to VW. Personal choice. I owned 3 of them before I got the Benz. The VW CC has turned my head. That's my next car."

I love my lil Whitey!

By on Friday, September 28, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive!"

Cons: "Maintenance and repairs!"

"I recieved this car 9/12/11 when I was 17. This was my second car. I had just sold my '94 Accord. It was a big come up from that. It's well equipped and very attractive. The maintenance is what hurts me the most. "But it's a Mercedes", you would say, to me, it seems to need something a little too often. The driving experience in this car is great. I love to drive when I'm behind the wheel of my car. MPG is not bad either. I make 21-22 mpg."

Great entry level Benz

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Quality of a Benz, the price of a domestic car"

Cons: "fronted too low, easy to hit curb stops."

"Overall this is a great car. a couple of little quirks though. such as the transmission doesn't alway know how to respond. sometimes its sluggish, sometimes its snappy, depending on my recent driving habits. But sometimes there is a need to be snappy and it just doesn't get up and go. I found if I tap the accelerator as if I were double clutching it will go back to being responsive. kinda weird behavior. only other thing that is less than positive is it fogs up pretty easily. fortunately the front defrost will take care of it in a quick hurry. The maintenance cost on this car is not as bad as I expected for it being a Benz. although it costs quite a bit just for an oil change, if you factor in that the recommended changes are 13,000 instead of 3,000 the cost is about the same as other vehicles."

Great car

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, picks up well, comfy"

Cons: "maint. can be expensive, space"

"I really like my car. I have put 100k on it in 4 years and it runs great. Very solid and safe. Hopefully I can put another 100k on it."

If there were 2 of me...i'd buy another one

By on Friday, January 7, 2011

"Found this 07 C230 at a Mercedes dealership with 9700 miles. Never owned a Mercedes... we are spoiled for future vehicle purchases. First one but not the last one. Very classy styling, handles beautifully, fits me like a glove. Now, where do I safely park it ?"

champange on a beer budget

By on Saturday, July 24, 2010

"I bought this car new in 2004 and while some problems have come up overall the car has been a great value for the money. I have had to get used to the German "over engineering" but for the 30 k I spent it is ok once I quit using the dealer for maintenance. The good: ride, milage, comfort, style, fit, and finish. The bad: dealer knowledge, diagnosing (sp) German engineering, small problems can cause major headaches to find solutions. Once found (ie air leak in rubber vac hose) prob solved. Sound system- multi cd player died and cost just doesn't justify repair. also ipod only works with fm interface unit."

Very Best Car on the Road

By on Saturday, March 27, 2010

"This is the very best car I've ever owned and/or driven. I am the original owner and have had absolutely no problems with this car in my seven years of ownership. One reason I bought a Mercedes is that Mercedes cars retain more trade-in/resale value, for longer, than any other car. It's somewhat of an investment. Yes, the initial price for the car was more than that for similar cars of other brands, but the cost of maintenance for this car has been LESS than it was for other cars I bought new; and the total costs of owning this car over time thus ends up being about, and eventually less, than for other cars of its style and size. I have kept up with the recommended service visits, which have been about four in seven years (granted, my mileage is low, just under 40,000m). The only other service visit was to replace a side mirror that I, myself, knocked off when backing out of my garage crookedly. There just aren't the maintenance headaches one has with other cars. Other cars I have bought new needed service and/or replacement of parts several times a year to the tune of at least about $700 (often much more) per visit. To say nothing of frequent oil changes. And, those other cars at some point, usually several points, stalled, or wouldn't start, etc., requiriing unscheduled service. I have never had any problems with starting, stalling, or any function of this car. Service for this car has cost only about $2000 over seven years, and other than labor costs, the costs were for normal wear and tear and discretionary items, such as new tires (once), wheel balancing, windshield wiper replacement (only once), minor scratch touch-ups, etc. I have never had to have the battery replaced. And Merccedes recommends that oil changes be made only every 10,000 miles or so. I've thus had the oil changed only about four times, or the humber of times I took it in for the recommended service visits. The helfpul information on the car panel, among other nice things, includes reminding me when it's time to take it in for service. All this, even though the first two years I owned the car I had to keep it parked outside because I had no garage in my previous residence. The car feels wonderful to drive and as if it intuitively does what I want it to do. It moves from, say, 30 miles an hour to 65 almost instantly, turns almost on a pin, etc. It's almost as if it is part of my body. After driving this car, I feel like our secondary car drives like a boat. Yes, you need to use the most expensive gas for Mercedes cars, but the mileage is so good on my Mercedes that I end up spending more for gas on our second car, which requires only standard gas. The technology, features, luxury add-ons of Mercedes cars are several years ahead of those on other cars; in fact, Mercedes invents most of the innovations that evenually end up on other cars. For instance, Mercedes had a system similar to the "OnStar" system of other cars, years before "OnStar" appeared. The first time I stopped to fill up the car, I didn't realize there was no need to press a gas cap release button inside the car,, and, being a totally non-mechanical female, I searched fruitlessly for one awhile before thinking to press the help button to ask where to find it. Someone was sitting there, just waiting to help me immediately, politely nonplussed, in the midst of my embarrassment. Before the current navigation devices came out on other cars, I was able to ask someone "up there in the sky" for directions when I was lost, and once pressed the button to tell someone that a man I passed on an isolated mountain road was stranded, periously walking along for help for his car, without a coat, in an unexpected spring snowstorm. The Mercedes person on the other end knew just where I was and contacted the police for a rescue. Thus, my car is still just as "modern" as new cars now coming on line. I can't say enough about this car -- it does everything I could want or need but make coffee! And Mercedes has a standard of service superior to that of any company I have encountered in or out of the auto business. Its employees are always extremely courteous in an understated way and go out of their way to help customers or solve problems. Long before some other car companies began offering a free loaner car during service visits, my Mercedes service center was providing me free loaners of Mercedes or other high-end cars when I visited. On top of all this, my Mercedes is a gorgeous, classy-looking car with a luxurious interior that I love - still. The styling of Mercedes cars is "understated taste," keeping them in style for years. I just can't see any reason to trade my car in, even after seven years, until our car-fueling techonology changes. Mercedes is just the classiest act around"

2003 C320

By on Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Bought in august 2008 with 72000 miles - since purchase spent 500 on service B and 450 on alternator. Drive 80 miles a day - mostly highway and get 28 mpg going 60 - 65 mph. very comfortable and has plenty of power for a v-6. love the car and will keep it for a long time. when it dies, i willl buy another C-class Benz."

saved my life

By on Monday, May 11, 2009

"I have had this car for a year and a half (bought it used) and was recently t-boned by a Mack truck...I believe this car saved my life. I walked away from the accident with injuries, but walked away, nonetheless!!! This is a great car and I will never drive anything but another Mercedes!"

04 c230 kom

By on Sunday, August 3, 2008

"bought right off the trailer. I have 82K miles and no problems at all. I have found the brakes and tires do need replacing more then most. I'm on my 3rd set of tires. The tires that came with my car (michilens) didn't last long. I was shocked. I have researched diff. tires and have found one that has lasted the longest wth a good ride. Falken 452's As far as the brakes, i've had 1 set of front brakes replaced and i still have the original back brakes. My next brake job will be front and back with rotors...approx cost 600.00 from the dealer. Dealer has seen these cars come in with only 8-10K on brakes needing to be replaced. Same for tires. I believe it depends on how you drive you car. If you take care of your baby it will last for quite a long time. I love my car and have no complaints. My next car is the new C300.."

My first MB and I'm not impressed

By on Thursday, May 15, 2008

"I purchased the 2004 C240 wagon as a dealer loaner when it was 1-1/2 years old, about 2-1/2 years ago. For the money, it is not that great a car. The workmanship is generally OK, but certain details like the cup holder and armrest on the console are very shoddy. MB is not cutting edge when it comes to occupant convenience and it is obvious that a lot of the features such as the CD changer (located in the glove box) were afterthoughts. Mechanically the car is quite good and the body is solid, but the performance of the V-6 is only so-so. It has been and I believe it will continue to be reliable as far as the engine and transmission go, but the accessories will probably not last as long. Personally, I think the Japanese luxury brands give an overall higher level of quality and luxury for a lower price. I would not buy another MB given my impression of this one."

Great Car, Highly Suggest Purchasing!

By on Sunday, July 8, 2007

"I have owned this car for almost 3 years and still love it! Great styling and very peppy for a 4 cylinder - no one will ever guess how affordable they are by the "looks"! With gas prices soring, it is also extremely economical. There is no other substitute - it's a Mercedes. I have had no service issues or concerns."