1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Based on 282 Ratings for the 1994 - 2000 models.

Car for a lifetime.

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

Pros: "Solid build, sweet handling, power, very good MPG"

Cons: "Premium fuel, sketchy defroster."

"I bought my 2000 C230 Kompressor with 70K miles on it in 2005. Liked it so much I bought one for the wife, too, and we still have them both. I've driven mine 115K more and now my daugher is using it for her college car. I like all the safety built in to these. Styling is getting a bit dated, but looks young for its age. Factory paint is excellent, interiors are solid and well-designed. I have had to replace the windhield wiper motor (in Oregon? duh..) but neither car has ever left us stranded. It is beautifully built, and if you are the sort to do your own minor repairs (lightbulbs and such) you will appreciate how thoughtfully-designed the details are. My only problem is that the defoggers (on both cars) fog the windows before they de-fog them. Have to be careful to not accidentally blind yourself at a bad time. Internet research reveals the proper fix for almost any ailment. With reasonable maintenance they will last forever. After 14 years, they still have the original batteries, fr' cryin' out loud. Electronic key eventually failed, that was $250 (ouch). Premium fuel is a drag, but I have gotten as high as 34 mpg on the freeway at 70 MPH. Car was pulling strongly at 120 MPH before I chickened-out. Claimed 132 MPH is quite likely. Not to put down any other car (and I have had many), but these are GREAT cars. When the kids move out, I will probably get a used 230SLK. Two seat roadster with much of the same running gear as the C230. I would probably not recommend a 14 year old vehicle to anyone who expects a drive-it-and-forget-it car. But on the used car market, these were an exceptional value."

Fun and solid

By on Monday, May 26, 2008

"I am a repeat MB owner. (Wish I still had my 1956 190SL!) My 2000 C230 has been everything I expected since the day I took delivery. This car is fun with all the zip one could ask for from a supercharged 4. Pure solid MB from the quirky cruise control lever that Consumer Reports will always hate, to the dependability one expects from the engineers at Daimler-Benz. Yes, the dealer maintenence is expensive but preventive maintenence will deliver reliable transportation without grief. I appreciate this vehicle and love the 24MPG in the city and 32 MPG on the highway. Comfort, dependability with style. Would I buy another? Well after 5 MBs over the past 50 years I would say so."

Great Car except in snow

By on Saturday, May 31, 2008

"Good on gas, fun to drive, safe. Great in rain. Not recommended in areas where it snows. It does not perform in any snow. Have had problems in as little as one inch of icy snow. Snow tires and low gear help, but could get stuck in a substantial storm."

Lowest Maintenance Vehicle

By on Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Of all of the cars that I have owned, this car has been the most reliable, trouble free and least expensive to operate. Currently it has 127,000 miles. The only problem that I currently have is that the odometer digits are burned out. I am the original owner."

Bullet Proof engine MB

By on Sunday, March 16, 2008

"1998 and 1999 MB C230 are more reliable than any other Mercedes Benz vehicles made at time. Check out the recent consumer report (April 2008) and you will find them both recommended as good used vehicles to buy. I have a 1999 C230 sport with 140K on it. The engine still runs strong. I would recommands two sets of tires/rims(summer all season and Winter snow tires) for this rear wheel drive car. I also suggest K&N air filter. So you can reuse it to save money. Change to Bilstein shocks when you car hits 100K. I only use synthetic oil for my engine but stretch the oil change to every 6000 miles instead. I enjoy my MB very much. I hope you, too."

Best Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 5, 2007

"This car has so much pick up. Quick to use around town and on the hwy. It handles and rides like a dream. The only bummer is you have to use premium gas, otherwise this vehicle is the best! The gas mileage is ok, not bad at all."

My Dream Come True

By on Sunday, August 18, 2013

Pros: "Perfect Handling, Everlasting Model, fully loaded"

Cons: "nothing that i can think of"

"I have 1999 c280 sport package, just one more step to c43 amg, I've had this car for almost two years, my dream car since i was teenager, i bought this car when it was still 99000 miles, nothing really cost me except for oil change, and tires, since i installed 18 inch AMG, I really love this car, i will keep this car and will never sale it, fully loaded with optional, powerful if we compare with BMW, Audi,Saab, I think Benz is the best car for German Technology, can't ask for more from this car... Love it"

A well-optimized, balanced, and beautiful ride

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, design, interior, handling"

Cons: "Tire life"

"A pleasing and durable car. Its ride, handling, and appearance are remarkably similar to the day it left the dealership (I bought it new 18 years ago). It’s required a few repairs, but nothing very unusual or troublesome. Repair costs can be a bit pricey, but the car’s worth it. Minor maintenance and repairs can be done by the reasonably competent do-it-yourselfer. It’s a well balanced car and handles well in all weather conditions, including Colorado’s snow (with the right tires). Tire tread life is low, however, averaging 20K no matter the manufacturer (with the right warranty you can compensate). Gas mileage with this 4-cylinder is reasonable at ~26 mpg in balanced usage. I’d buy this car again, absolutely, and plan to keep this one for as long as I need a car (and maybe longer)."

C43 AMG

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Fast, Incredible Quality, Timeless look"

Cons: "I only have one C43 - two would be better!"

AMG!

"Bought this 1999 C43 with 75000 miles on it for $10,000 in 2009. Wow, what a car, here we are in 2012 and I can still smoke just about any car on the road if I want some fun, handles better than most sedans, but the age is showing in that department. Talk about a rock solid engine, it just growls and goes! Mileage around town is 19 mpg, 23 to 25 on the highway depending on how much I push it. Amazing features for a car this old, it feels better than just about every new or newer car I've driven. This car sold me on Mercedes build and quality - they've got a lifetime customer - I've had Audi, BMW, SAAB, VW and domestics - won't ever buy anything but MB again. Next one up? C63 AMG - woo hoo!. Great cars!"

AMG!

By on Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"good car. easy to work on and solid all around"