2012 Mazda MAZDA5

8.0

Based on 43 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

A sporty mini minivan w/Zoom-Zoom!

By on Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"i did so much research on the perfect family hauler without breaking the bank&also not looking like i 'gave up'&was so happy to find the new 5!it has everything i was looking for to transport my family of 4,the body lines of this car look great from ALL angles,we chose the upgraded 'touring model which adds fogs,spoiler side skirts 17' rims nicer grill &leather wheel,power is surprisingly good w/ smooth tranny & good mpg!turning radius is great!almost like a compact car u can make a u turn anywhere& park with ease!the seats are really comfy w/good back support and captains chairs up front and 2nd row,so its a 2 plus 2 plus 2 in rd row which pops up& down really easy!the dual slide doors are light and easy to use for wifey w kiddies!pass/cargo room is also more then adequate,this mpv is a hot seller in Europe and only car in its class that got rave reviews..much better ad easier then suv w 3rd row,i highly recommend,u won't be disapointed!we love our 2012 5!"

Zippy but fucntional

By on Thursday, June 25, 2015

"We bought this 4 years back and have had no issues. To this day, it still drives like new. We just replaced the tires at 46K miles which really made me feel like driving out of the mazda parking lot. The kids love it, ofcourse they would prefer auto sliding doors, rear view camera and more leg room but for the money it has enough value. We once rammed at 70mph into an object that fell off the vehicle in front. The only thing that happened was a bent bumper with no other damage. I would think its reliable and safe based on this but am a safe driver anyway. Overall a great buy for value shoppers."

Love this car!

By on Friday, January 18, 2013

Pros: "roomy, great gas mileage"

Cons: "loud at times, fabric seats"

"I downsized to the Mazda 5 from a minivan and glad i did. Comparitively it gets much better gas mileage. It fits all of my children without too much complaints:) I wish i would have upgraded the fabric seats- with children they are hard to clean and soil easily. It can be loud when on the highway but we turn the radio on which cures the annoyance of the sound. It was a great price for this car that seats 6!"

It meets my needs, for now

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "love the rear sliding doors, drives nicely"

Cons: "no rear heat, no cargo space when all 6 seats used"

"I have 3 kids, 16, 13 and 2. The back row seating is difficult (but not impossible) for anyone older than 10 or so to get to. I'm 5'2", average sized, and it was not comfortable to get back there at all. Once I was back there it wasn't bad LOL! The cargo area when all seats are occupied is extremely small. We could not take anything more than overnight trips as a family; there's not enough room for suitcases and bags. Once you fold down the back seats, the cargo area is nice, though a little irritating if something slips between the bucket seats onto the floor. I do LOVE the sliding back doors. Makes getting the 2 year old in and out of the car much easier! The driver's seat is comfortable, but I personally don't like the headrest. I felt like it was pushing my head and neck into an unnatural and uncomfortable position. That problem solved by turning the headrest around. It looks silly, but it works. I don't care for the armrests in the front. They get in the way if you need access to drinks in the cup holders, so I never use my armrest. Add another adult to the front seat, and it's very awkward to get to your drinks. I'm not crazy about the center storage between the seats - it barely holds a couple CDs and a sewing kit. The radio and 6 disc CD changer are nice - the sound took some getting used to. I never really use the Bluetooth- usually I have the kids with me and don't really like them listening in on the conversations. I like that it gives me the estimated miles left before the gas tank is empty. The AC works nicely, as well as the heater. One of my biggest complaints with it is that there is NO rear heat. It has rear air, but not heat. It takes twice as long to warm up the back of the car, and by the time they get warm, who ever is in the front seat has started cooking. Very frustrating. I have the moonroof, but rarely use it. I had to replace the front tires before 20,000 miles, and the rear tires shortly after. Overall, I wish I had shopped around a little bit before we purchased this little car."

Exceeds My Expectations

By on Friday, August 10, 2012

Pros: "Agile, stylish family vehicle"

Cons: "No cover on centre console, steering wheel design"

"I know a lot of people who have this car and love it, so when I had a child and needed more space, it was a logical choice. Safety rating, value, and gas mileage were important considerations. Gas mileage isn't as good as the Honda Civic I was driving previously, but that's to be expected. This car makes great use of space, nothing is wasted. The rear-most seats are probably best for kids; my husband and I are both tall, and find the headroom great but leg room lacking back there. The rest of the seating is very roomy. I love that the second row of seats are buckets rather than bench. I drive a lot, and the built-in bluetooth is great for that. The sound system is good enough for me and the heated front seats are a nice touch. As for the exterior, the new Nagare styling is a definite improvement, and the sliding side doors are brilliant. My only gripes: 1) I'm not a fan of the steering wheel which forces my hands into the 2 and 10 position due to the lower crossbar. I can't drive with one hand on the bottom of the wheel which is my preference (not correct I know, but been driving like that for years) and 2) I wish the centre console storage had a lid instead of being completely open. I don't like seeing all the junk I store in there and would rather have the ability to cover it up. I would recommend getting the back windows tinted, which we did. I wish I had sprung for the roof rack."