2008 Mazda MAZDA3

Based on 1250 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Reliable car

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, quiet motor, comfortable, nice handling"

Cons: "Repair cost, when needed; low mileage."

"This has been a very reliable car. It did have three minor rapairs while under warranty (including extended warranty). No overnighters. I only use Mazda for maintenance and repairs, other than tires. Still a very smooth ride for the mileage, although not quite as perfect as when it was new. Very comfortable. Brakes well, although the rear brakes had to be redone at 69,000 miles. That was the only premature repair that was needed. Based on my experience with my last three cars, all Nissans, the brakes should have lasted another thirty thousand at the minimum. Front brakes were still in great shape. Motor is so quiet, you have turn the radio and a/c off to even hear it at all!! Great turning angle. I just replaced the battery last week, so it lasted a little over six years. Mazdas come equiped with just 30,000 mile tires, so that is one disappointment. The only other disappointment is the gas mileage. This car does get slightly better gas mileage than it was rated for. I average 26 city (rated at 24) and 34 highway (rated 31). I say that is a disappointment, because my three Nissans did much better, although they were all manuals, whereas this car is an automatic. I do not have tinted windows, but I plan on getting factory tint next time I buy a car, if available. My son just bought a Mazda 3 Sport (baseline). The big disappointment with the new Mazda 3 cars this year is the interior color! Black interior!! One of my Nissans was black interior and the heat was horrible!! My current Mazda has a beige interior and it does not get nearly as hot inside during the summer. If you are thinking about buying a new Mazda 3 this year, wait until the new model year is released and see if they come out with some other interior colors again. Repair cost is low in terms of total repair expenses (rarely needs a repair), but the per item cost when it does need repairing is very high. If you can afford a hybrid, buy it. I hope Mazda will offer a hybrid before my next car. I have not yet needed any alignment. As with most makes now, if you want an extra key that will work in the ignition, you must buy it from the dealer. The keys are computerized. Most makes cost well over $100 to get a spare key. Not sure what Mazda charges now. However, if you just want a spare key for the door only (in case you lock yourself out), you can get a noncomputerized key made very cheaply at Wal-mart or a locksmith. Tha Mazdas come with two computerized keys and remotes. I suggest you keep one set in your safe deposit box, in case you lose one, but be sure to have a spare key made for the door first."

Excellent road car

By on Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Great Gas Mileage and dependable."

Cons: "The 2.0 liter is a little lacking when passing."

"My wife and I have owned several Mazda's. I have driven a 626 a Protege' and the Mazda 3. All have been dependable and good handling overall. The Mazda 3 is the best one of the Mazda's that I have owned. It gets 33 gas mileage day in and day out. The handling is excellent. I drive 110 miles round trip a day in town and country combined and it has been a joy to drive. I have driven and ridden in cars twice the price without any better handling or dependability. It is the best bang for the buck of any car I have ever owned."

Great Car, Period!

By on Friday, May 23, 2008

"Bought our 07 GT Sedan new, in April of 07'. Now have 22k miles (May 23rd, 2008). Have had zero problems. The car is a great balance of sporty, comfortable, youthful, and useful. It cruises very well! Engine noise is zero at cruising speeds. Fun exhaust note around town. Comes LOADED with toys, including leather/heated seats/ trac & stability control/ auto climate/ 6 disc bose w/ipod and sat/ computer/ 10 airbags/ rain sensing wipers / adjustable HID headlights / trip-tronic automatic, and more, for around $20k. My only complaint is road noise on concrete, but mine has the 17 inch sport tires, so it's expected. I gave it only 3 stars for quality though, because much of the engine compartment is cheap plastic, that can rattle on bumpy roads. Not bad, but it does. Some tiny rubber bumper pieces from your local hobby store can fix this. NORTHERN PEOPLE: TAKE NOTE: Several folks have reported RUST around the fenders within 2 years from the road salt. The sheet medal isn't that great, so take note! Southern owners: have reported no rust, even coastal areas."

we absolutely love it!!

By on Friday, January 4, 2008

"the "3" has served us well. it is time for us to move on to something a little larger, but we are still sticking with mazda. this car has treated us so well. the only mechanical problem we have ever had was a misfiring spark plug, which was fixed in minutes and under warrenty. the inside space is amazing. when i drive the 3, Zoom Zoom perfectly describes how it feels. curves are a breeze and breaking is comfortable. i am always comfortable in this car, from the comfortable seat belt height, to the leg room, no matter where i am sitting. in the years we have owned this car, we have come up with only 3 complaints... the intermitent winshield wipers need more speed choices. the seat fabric holds on to dog hair, and the removal is a little labor intensive. the spare tire reserve will not accomodate a full size tire. those being the worst things we feel about the car, makes it a real winner for us!!!"

By on Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"I bought the 2004 Mazda 3i used 2 years ago and have not had a single problem with it. The car is virtually indestructable. I love the style of and the interior styling is great for a car of this price range. The factory tires were not that great in bad weather but lasted to about 45,000 miles. I replaced them with the Bridgestone Fuzions and have had better driving in poor weather. Everytime I go for an oil change, the mechanics tell me how much they love this car. My only complaint would be noise on the highway but unless you are buying a luxury sedan, that is something you might expect. I would highly recommend this car."

i'd buy another...

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"mazda's best attribute is value. you really get a lot for the money. all around great car for the price. it's produced as a PZEV(partial zero emissions vehicle) for california. better for the environment! have really enjoyed driving it..."

Love my Zoom-Zoom

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"Best car for the money available. My 3 I Touring, 5spd Manual gets 31mpg city and 38hwy. Only complaint would be that at around 35000 miles the shocks were getting noticeably soft. For such a light vehicle driven on relatively smooth roads, so few miles seems rather silly. Now at 50,000 they are still safe, and the car still handles well, but certainly not like when new. Amazing reliability. I drive around 30,000 miles per year and I've never had a single issue with the car."

Professional, Quick, Inexpensive Car

By on Thursday, August 9, 2007

"This car has a great mix of reliability and sportiness. The only complaint I have is the seats can show wear, but then again I have driven it 57k miles in the first two years! The car is comfortable for long trips and the special edition model gives you luxury for a great price!"

First New car ever, very happy

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"This was the first car I bought brand new and have had it for over a year and 16k+ miles. Never any problems with the car. It is not very comfortable for a lot of highway driving, so if that is your thing buy a civic. It is very versitile and I have been able to put more in the back of my Mazda than my wifes Maxima. I average 29mpg and my commute is basically back roads. So not Highway but not stop&go either. The clutch engages very far up, which is a big difference from a honda/acure, and the gearbox travel is pretty long. You cannot beat the power, this car moves."

Best Car Ive ever owned

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Pros: "Styling and performance and of course reliablity"

Cons: "A/C controls are terrible.. wears out tires quick"

M3GT

"I drive this car 100 miles a day 6 days a week.. has never let me down.. I'm rough on this car and it never misses a beat!! only issues I have had are the A/C control knobs do not work well and thermostat needed to be replaced at 120K I average about 24.5 mpg with a heavy foot.. I'm looking to buy a newer one.. may keep this as a backup. Great Car!"

M3GT