2005 Mazda MAZDA3

Based on 1247 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

204K Miles - and still driving strong

By on Saturday, July 16, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, cabin quality, reliable"

Cons: "Long term quality of paint job, A/C weak"

"Nearly 204,000 miles on my 2005 Mazda3 hatchback, and it's still going strong. It's low maintenance, starts every time you put the key in the ignition, has a high-quality feel to the cabin, stops when needed, I've never replaced the clutch, and I'm getting 30 mpg on every tank of gas. I do have a few suggestions for Mazda, however, given that this is the first Mazda I've owned among a long line of Toyotas: (1) paint job when new looks spectacular but goes dull and begins peeling in places around the 100K mark. (2) A/C is not nearly as powerful or effective as in the 6 Toyotas we've owned. (On a really hot day - 100F+ - it has to work hard to be fairly cool.) Heater is fine. (3) Headlights and fog lights seem to need replacing more frequently than my Toyotas have; (4) Carpet on driver's side is worn and has a hole in it because of my heel. It shouldn't. (5) Had to replace the lights behind the audio and controls. Lights were cheap, but labor was expensive. Should NOT be going out. However, it's been a great car, and I highly recommend it."

Great car, hate the black interior, cool

By on Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pros: "very roomy for a small car,"

Cons: "that black interior only option w/ Red."

"I have owned the mazda protege/3 series for over 21 yrs now, 5 cars, never had ANY mechanical issues other than routine maint. which I always keep up with. I run full synthetic oil after 1st oil change. They are the best running small cars around and a best kept secret except for us loyal owners! Now i see tons of them in demand....as used cars. sold my 2001 in 2011 for 7000.00 w/ 51000 miles. I could have sold it for more! The new smiley face has to go before I give up my 2006,"

awesome vehicle to own

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Pros: "vaule,cost to maintain,features,performance,gas"

"first off I love my Mazda 3 that I bought from CarMax in Feb. of this year when I got initially I didn't think too much of Mazda's because I owned a Mazda 6 2004 before and I had lots of problems with cooling system and driving performance and the audio system, but I took a chance on buying this beauty and I hated to admit that I fell in love with the car like for the price I got and the features it has like sunroof/6cd changer fog lights and aux cord like I couldn't ask for more I mean the gas mileage is unbelievable I do mix driving and I usually get like 25-29 and if its highway then I get about 30-35 mpg and I also love it doesn't take a lot to fill up since I work 5 days a week I fill up every week and my car takes only 19 dollars to fill up which coming from a Toyota camry I was putting 25-30 in the tank but it has been a great vehicle and I hope it stays that way like only thing I've had to replace was a faulty alternator that caused the battery symbol to display and also a compressor since the original was weak and a belt tensioner which all was replace by my warranty and I also love the steering wheel controls for audio and I bought it with 73k on it and now I have 91k and I travel a lot going back and forth out of town with no problems so Mazda definitely has me as a customer again and when she tells me its time for a new one im getting another just like it and it also fun to drive and it likes to be driven."

Extremely reliable car - 250 miles per week

By on Saturday, June 16, 2012

Pros: "Reliability , handling , power , and looks"

Cons: "Uncomfortable interior ,"

"I bought this car new from a dealership in 08 .After a year of test driving every compact Import it was the styling that sold me on the Mazda 3 . It has sports car power and handling , nice paint , and audio is great . The cons ?? Seating material is hard and irritating on bare skin . Seat comfort , especially on long trips is poor . I have 60000 miles now and it has been back to the dealership twice for recall work . Other than that no other problems . I also like to brag that the brake pads are original and still have twenty percent of the pad material left . If you are looking for a car that holds it's value , is attractive , fast , handles great and avoids the repair shop then this is the car you want ."

Love, love this car!!

By on Monday, May 16, 2011

"This was a great purchase. I bought it new and I did a ton of research to get the best value for a car costing around $18-$20k. I compared the Honda civic and Toyota corolla, and this was the best all around. It is stylish, has decent gas mileage, is fun to drive, great handling, excellent features (ones that you wouldn't find on a similarly priced car). The funny thing is that when I bought the car, I knew more about the features than the dealership did! Being prepared really paid off. I have had my Mazda for about 5-6 years, its a 2006, and I have paid hardly anything out of pocket for maintenance. My yearly average for maintenance, including oil changes and major service has been only $250! I love it. It has been good to me for all these years. And even though its 6 years old, I still love the feeling I get when I drive it. I will own this car until it dies, which hopefully will be a long time. I have the Mazda 3s Touring 5-door hatchback version with 6-disc changer, moon/sunroof, 8 airbags. Paying a little bit extra for the sunroof was worth it, I use it all the time. The sound system is also excellent and clear. I can fit 5 adults in the car easily and everyone tells me how comfortable it is and how there is lots of leg and head room. My parents love being driven around in it--who wouldn't? My only complaints are that I'm 5'10", so there is only about a 2-3inch head clearing for me. But I don't have any problems with legroom (the lumbar support and seat height adjustments are wonderful, especially on long trips). I wish the car had better mileage, I get about 24-25mpg city and 29-31 highway. Its not bad, though. Also, I have a hard time seeing out of the front side between the driver window and windshield, the molding seems to be a little thick and I find myself turning my head to look around it. Sometimes it hides pedestrians, so I just have to be aware of that when I'm in the city. Having the split rear seats is great in the hatchback, and you can remove the shelf in the trunk. I have moved lots of furniture (large bookcases) with no problems at all. I would say the things that I love most about my car are the affordability, styling, amount and quality of features, gas mileage is decent, versatile, comfortable, fun to drive ("zoom-zoom"), turn radius. I think there are more things, but I don't remember them right now. I would definitely consider buying this model again, although I'm not too fond of the 2009+ models exterior styling. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this car to anyone."