2007 Mazda CX-9

Based on 275 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

good car. terible mpg

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "good price for 2012 model. stable quiet ride"

Cons: "ways behind competitors on tech and efficiency"

"Got this car brand new about 2wks now. Gt fully loaded Pros: good handling, nice interior, good bose sound system, better leather than honda toyota or nissan, nice exterior. Cons: interior lighting is very dim when headlights are on; info and gauges display is red - aging and not soothing on long drives; GPS costs $1500 but won't match performance and feature of a $100 portable unit, no street name guidance, just turn left or turn right; ride is bumpy even on smooth interstates. It actually is better in local travel since you're not going as fast. Lower tire pressure to 34 psi front and 32 psi back help but did not make it go away; TERIBLE MPG. Actual city is between 10-14 mpg. Highway @75 mph is around 20 mpg. You better subtract 3 miles from EPA estimate. No way you would get the estimate MPG if you drive normally. Highway passing is sluggish. You got to floor it before the car would give you the passing power after downshifting. City passing or merging is more than enough. I was actually thinking about trading it in for another car after a week of ownership. A bit calmer now but not happy. Will definitely trade it in within 3 years."

Best cross over among the crowd

By on Saturday, September 8, 2012

Pros: "Smooth highway ride,quiet,speed,Top class interior"

Cons: "None."........."..........."

"I just bought it this CX9 last week .drove only 75 miles so far .Woow what a smooth ride.!i test drive Honda pilot,Toyota highlander and the explorer. I believe this one handles highway ride so good and it's interior finish is top class . All in on you a get a premium vehicle . I think this one belongs the luxury vhecile catgogery ."

Great car with few flaws

By on Monday, April 9, 2012

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, somewhat sporty"

Cons: "Too much plastic, small third row, poor mileage"

"I've had mine for five years now and I love it. My only complaints are the low quality of the interior, ridiculously small third row and poor gas mileage. I have taken it to the dealer twice in the last five years only because the air conditioner broke down. Overall though it is a fantastic car."

Bought it for its looks but love its functionality

By on Saturday, December 27, 2008

"Pros: Styling, functionality, performance Cons: Gas mileage, no "xx miles to empty" gauge, key card is annoying I've always owned sport sedans and recently started to notice my need for the functionality of an SUV. So many of them have that bulging station wagon/"look, I'm not really a minivan" appearance. I've also always had very particular tastes in cars and don't even consider them if I don't like the exterior styling. Call me a superficial car snob but I know what I like! When I began shopping, I considered just 3 models: the Nissan Murano, the Infiniti version and the Mazda CX-9. I test drove the Murano and it seemed so much smaller and overpriced in comparison to the CX-9. (The Infiniti didn't even qualify for a test drive because of the sticker price.) The Mazda was larger with more distinctive exterior styling, offered many more standard features for the price and I love the "Zoom, Zoom" factor. I purchased an AWD Grand Touring model in pearl white on black and love it. (I opted out of the Navi because of the price factor.) I love the way it drives, especially in inclement weather here in the Midwest, and surprisingly find myself using the functionality of the fold-down third-row seating more often than I expected. I can haul so much stuff in the back of this thing and the Bose sound system rocks! Whenever we go out, everyone wants me to drive because of the seating capacity and its interior roominess and comfort. I joke that it's my "school bus" because it's so much bigger than what I traded in yet it's city gas mileage leaves much to be desired. I absolutely cannot stand the key card feature though...it gets lost in my purse all the time or if I get out of the car for something, the car starts beeping loudly to the point of embarassment. I don't understand the draw of that "feature." I don't care much for the grill either and have been shopping for an aftermarket version. Outside from these minor things, the car was what I was looking for and more. I do like the 20" rim size and have since bought chrome rim replacements. I frequently get compliments on the car and people stop to ask, "What kind of car is that, anyway?" Would I recommend this car to someone? Absolutely. The pro's well outweigh the con's and maybe the men will actually like the silly keycard feature - my dad finds it fascinating - he shows it to everyone, as if that's the best part of the car! As long as I don't "feel" like I'm driving a minivan, I'm going to continue driving this until it's time to downsize again."

Best AWD ever

By on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pros: "mileage, driveability, great in snow."

Cons: "A little more storage in center console"

"Had Chevy Suburban, Toyota Sequoia and Honda Pilot. Never needed the off road of Chevy or Toyota. New Honda has been so cheapened. Mostly highway from Boston to ski resort in Maine every weekend in winter. Absolute must in snow territory. Excellent in snow or wet conditions. My mileage is great. Consistent 23-24 mpg on highway 70 mph. Around town it's 18 mpg. I calculate actual miles and then gallons used. The mpg on the dash is always 2 mpg lower than my calculation.Anyway it's quiet, fun to drive and a good value. 2 friends who tested mine bought a new one."

Great Car!!

By on Monday, May 23, 2011

"We bought our 2010 CX9 in August of 2010. We had a Dodge bighorn 1500 that we traded in and gas was killing us!! I definitely wanted something with 3rd row seats but did not want a minivan. We had test drove a 2010 Dodge Journey and were leaning toward that until we drove by a Mazda dealer on accident and decided to stop. I am so happy we did!! The price is very comparable to the Dodge Journey but the quality is so much better. The Journey had little creaks and an ok ride and seemed very unstable if you had to swerve fast. The CX9 was like driving in a cloud compared to the Journey. It is very stable, gas mileage is great, and really has the get-up-and-go when you need it. I have storage when I need it and the extra seating. It is wonderful. We are all ready talking about upgrading to the Grand Touring next time!"

I love it

By on Thursday, April 9, 2009

"My main complaint is that that the MPG is far worse than advertised. The trim keeps coming of. I have had to go back to the dealership several times to have pieces replaced and have to go back yet again. The last is there is no leg room for the back seats. You pretty much can only fit kids back there. But, I hardly ever use the back row so that doesnt bother me much. Other than those 3 things, I LOVE my Mazda and would reccommend it to anyone needing a larger vehicle with a third row , as long as they only need that third row once in awhile."

Test drove 7 SUVs and this was by far the nicest

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "price, ride, comfort, tech package, looks, size"

Cons: "mpg, head room, vents in 3rd row"

"Of the SUVs I test-drove, the Pathfinder, Pilot, and Traverse were too cavernous. The Explorer was everything it's reviews said it would be. The Acadia was too expensive. The Durango is very nice and I almost bought it but it's more vehicle than I needed (got nothing to tow). The CX-9 was the only SUV that I got excited about after the test drive. It's really the Goldilocks of SUVs: not too big, not too small. We took it on a 2-hour drive to Boston this weekend and it was a beautiful ride. I love all the tech stuff (newbie). The Mazda website does not do justice to the looks of this car. It's much sharper looking in person and I've gotten lots of nice compliments. Blind side monitoring is great. The heated leather seats are dreamy. The telescoping steering column is the longest I've ever seen. The driver's seat goes back so far, I couldn't reach the pedals. We got about 22.5 mpg combined hwy/city I have some criticism of the car but it's nitpicking. A little more headroom would be nice (I'm 6'2"). Vents need to be added to the 3rd row. The foot well was a little narrow but not as bad as the Explorer. The speakers are a little awkward. The are louder up front than in the rear when Fade is in middle. So much so that I returned the vehicle to dealer to have them turn on the rear speakers. I was just not turning the volume up loud enough to get the subwoofer to really kick in. I have the fade almost all the way to rear and it sounds much better now."

I love driving again!

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, bose sound system, quiet drive"

Cons: "Not as must storage space as you would like"

"I of course bought this car used, wasn't financially in the market for anything brand new. I test drove the Ford Flex, Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Ford Edge and did my homework regarding the particular specs of each vehicle. It came down to the Flex and the CX9. The CX9 won! Why? It's overall value was it. When compared to the others who were actually later models, this one drove better than them all by far. The Flex was more plush but a little too plush with no sportiness to it and started to remind me of the Honda Odyssey we used to own. Even my wife was very impressed with the CX9 and she did not even want to look at the Flex. I feel guilty because sometimes I just want to get in it just to go for a ride, I love driving this car. It sits high, and the seating is comfortable for even a 6"2 guy like myself and you can really carry 7 adults in reasonable comfort.I also can't say enough about the Bose sound system!"

2nd Impression - update on previous review

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pros: "Driving quality, great interior package, value."

Cons: "There ain't none yet!"

"Well, not yet at the 3000 mile update review point that I promised, but at 500 miles I' just thought I'd update my 1st impression review with this 2nd impression review: LOVE IT ! It really is a nice drive, just did first mini road trip in it, and it lived up to everything I had in my 1st impression review. Very quite, smooth ride, very nice handling for a larger SUV, and very responsive when that quick pick up is needed. Still can't get over the value for money upgrades and interior over competitive vehicles. Trying hard to keep it honest by pointing out something I didn't like, but honestly, I just haven't found anything annoying in this car yet ? Oh, wait, that center console cup holder is slightly wider than the Acadia was, how annoying is that, I'll have to upgrade the coffe cup to something slightly fatter :-) So, the mini road trip, 2 adults, me 6 ft 2 inches, 2 grown up teens, and 4 suitcases, and a full tank, but the handling was just as It was when driving alone. Nice vehicle for those long rides and feels sporty and nippy around town for a large SUV. I think that's what I've noticed most, I don't feel like I'm driving a 7 passenger SUV, and I always did in the Acadia. Still 10 out of 10 for me !"

Mildly disappointed

By on Saturday, April 4, 2009

"Had minor issues from day one. Wiring caused courtesy light not to work. Gas overflows when filling up (at different pumps). Terrible in the snow (suspect the tires). Rattles in dashboard and bushings just replaced. 2007 first year of production and many changes for 2008 suggest a rush to production."

Great new SUV

By on Saturday, December 1, 2007

"This vehicle is very cool to drive. I am not impressed with the power seat on the passenger side. It should go up and down. If you are very tall, you really have to bend over to get in on the passenger side or your WILL hit your head. The features are OK. I wish the headlights would come on automatically as well as the door locks when you take off or when the vehicle is put into gear. Over all, I love this vehicle, and will buy another one.."

highly recommended!

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "stylish interior, excellent handling, smooth ride"

Cons: "city gas mileage"

"Extremely pleased with our upgrade from minivan to Touring CX-9. The 3rd row seating still provides us with plenty of passenger room (or easy spacious fold-down cargo room when called upon), but with exceptional road handling that makes it very fun to drive. Blind spot monitoring is a great feature. And, favorite interior comfort and styling among vehicles we considered (Pilot, Pathfinder, Highlander, Journey, Traverse)... definitely test drive a CX-9 if you are in the market for any one of these."

LOVE IT ZOOM ZOOM

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "comfort, style, leather interior, quiet, fun"

Cons: "Can't find any."

"Bought new in 2008 after my 2004 6 sport(still own it) was paid off. LOVE this SUV. Normal maintenance and oil changes done. Never broken down, never left on the side of the road. Rear shock just failed today. After the repair I still smiled when I got back in and drove home. Normal repair and on other cars I have had that happen at 50,000 miles. This car rides like a sports sedan. My neighbor with his Explorer can't believe this is 6 years old. Thinking of trading and then keep saying WHY? Those that complain about mileage just realize it's an SUV (AWD) even though it feels like a smaller car. I press the peddle (big one on the right) and know I can beat most anything out there. Can Ford, GM or Chrysler say NO RECALLS. Between my 2004 and 2008 never a recall! Mazda, I will be back but it might be a while!"

Great value, great handling

By on Monday, July 8, 2013

Pros: "Everything but the mileage"

Cons: "Mileage so far, but need to break in the engine"

"We lookeed at the Dodge Journey (drove like a truck), the Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and Kia (Both were more difficult to enter the third row). This car was, by far, the most stylish and comfortable to drive. Good pick-up, smooth ride, and the interior driver/passenger compartment feels luxurious. Bought the Grand Touring, need to finish breaking in the engine, then a road triip is in order. We sold my wife's VW Eos hard-top convertible, worst car we've ever owned. Upgraded wheels on this one (20 inch powder coated black) DVD, Nav system, Bose = $36,000 total. Not bad."

Absolute best in drive and comfort!

By on Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pros: "Great design, interior flexibilty, and drive!"

Cons: "None so far"

"I traded in my 2002 Mazda 626 for the 2013 CX-9. After test driving an Explorer and a Pathfinder, we took the CX-9 for a spin. There simply is no comparison. While the Pathfinder has more length (and therefore slightly more third seat room), the CX-9 felt luxurious in comparison. The interior is beautiful and functional- not to mention the most comfortable we tested. It drives smooth, quiet, and powerful. The typical Mazda "zoom" is apparent even in their largest vehicle while driving as though it were a sedan, hugging curves and parking with ease. I love that the middle row slides to allow for comfort. The interior design is sleek and very inviting. We got lucky and ended up purchasing a Demo vehicle, which allowed us to afford the Grand Touring. The Bose stereo is amazing! Even the kids are impressed. I drove my first Mazda for 11 years and I can definitely see myself in this one for another 11 !"

Lots and lots of money and time in repairs!!

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

"14k in repairs in the first 2 years and still on going issues. Mazdas customer service has been of no help. When the car is running well it is awesome, too bad that is a rare event for mine. I'll never buy another cx-9!!"

Stylist

By on Sunday, April 6, 2008

"Excellent in every way except for three things that you really don't test drive it for: wind noise above 50 mph; sounds of running water around door when driving in rain; and BBs sounds when rain strikes the plastic at the junction of the front/second row doors. Getting 21 mph which is good. Can get 5 golfers and bags in it."

2011 CX9 Awful experience so far

By on Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pros: "Interior space layout"

Cons: "Quality, reliability, and Mazda customer service"

"The good: For a SUV, this vehicle handles very well on dry pavement. The layout of the interior space is well thought out meaning that there is plenty of room for a vehicle this size, love the fact that the second row slides back and forth, access to 3rd row is quite good, and the trunk space is very good with 3rd row folded down, and in all fairness even though not much room with 3rd row in place, lets face it, it’s not a suburban size vehicle, so I rate it an “A”. GPS screen is very large and adjustable. The bad. Quality of fit and finish are just barely ok (expected much better for a top of the line Mazda MSRP of $40,100) A lot of short comings in small details: In auto light mode the dash is so dark during the day, that you have to keep switching the dashboard lights back to day in order to see anything, specially the GPS and backup camera which are just black. Information center is cheap and you have to toggle to get info. EG you need to choose between knowing the passenger temp. setting and outside temp! If you start car, and want to back up immediately, you have to wait an eternity for the backup camera because the screen stays lit with the words “Mazda”. Your knees will hit the Steering column if you are anything over average height. While the engine performs well under a heavy foot, it under performs under everyday driving, because it has little torque, forcing the car to down shift even at the slightest need for power, even on the highway. The hill descend can be very harsh and erratic, and in my opinion can almost pose a danger on icy conditions. Gas mileage is very poor for a car of this size. Recent 600 miles mostly highway trip returned 18.2 mpg, and on average I get 16-17 mpg….my 2009 Tahoe was better with a 5.3 V8! Loud for a luxury SUV with noticeable wind, road (specially 20” wheels), and engine noise. Engine sounds cheap and somewhat unrefined for a V6. Even with the upgraded stereo, sound quality is barley average. The HID lights are very good (and adjustable), but high beams are inadequate. GPS is a total let down with long winded menu and awful directions, and at 2am on a lonely country road, it will insist that there is heavy traffic ahead….absolutely a useless device. Once the new car smell wears off, the car feels boring and mundane, and typically don’t age well. The very bad (the reason for my review): Transfer case failed at 3500 miles Whining sound at low speed (over 3 weeks in the shop…national back order) Minor electrical issues with windows. Car uses a quart of oil every 2500-3000 miles, Mazda says that this is with in their guide lines….guidelines state that it can use a quart every 1500 miles. Breaks started pulsating at around 9000 miles (beware; it is not covered under the 3/36K bumper to bumper warranty. Transfer case failed again at 16,000 miles. Whining sound at low speed Transfer case failed again at 16,800 miles. Loud whining sound at low speed Whining is still there, but I am now told after Mazda USA contacted dealer, that it is within normal range. Mazda USA repeatedly promised to call me back with in 48 hours, but never has. Mazda will only provide $30 a day for rental, so if your car is in the shop, keep in mind that a 2 wheel drive economy car typically cost you around $45 a day, and you may end up like me carrying a 3 and a 5 year old for half a mile in the snow to get home  Conclusion: I think most of you know I do not recommend this car, but fortunately for me this was a lease, unfortunately in considering in trading it in for an alternate brand car based on the numbers the car would have cost me an astonishing $962 a month if I choose to bail out after 16 months. I am not sure how Mazda has swept this under the rug, but they should call and voluntarily recall every owner of a 2010, 2011 and 2012, (I have been told the older ones had a different case….not sure of 2013) and replace their transfer cases with a reliable transfer case regardless of failure or not. I also want people to know that I have been told by a Mazda tech. that even a failing transfer case can continue to operate for 20-30,000 miles before it physically fails, so you may be driving a bad one and only find out when it finally leaves you stranded with no factory warranty. If your car is a 2010, 2011, 2012, you “really should” have the transfer case inspected, because most people may not notice the gradual deterioration. Mine started sounding loud at very low speeds, especially when cold. I have no respect for Mazda, and will not buy another Mazda, because after repeated (4) phone calls to the original Mazda rep. (Dan) I cannot get a call back. It’s a shame what Mazda is doing, because with the internet today, consumers can get the word out, and it never pays to bite the hands that feed you."

sporty crossover

By on Friday, February 29, 2008

"I owned a Mazda3 before buying this vehicle, and was impressed with the standard equipment that was on that car. I purchased the CX-9 about 1 month after they came out, absolutely love the truck. It handles like a sportscar through the curves and even though it's only got 263 bhp, it takes off quick. I purchased the Grand Touring as that's the model 3 I had, and absolutely love the luxury this package provides. I looked at Acura and Lexus, but the Mazda blew both of them out of the water, at close to $6000 less."

We are truly impressed thus far

By on Monday, February 15, 2010

"We bought the CX-9 GT AWD after much research and test-driving. We were on the verge of buying either a Volvo XC90. We also considered the MDX, Highlander, Pilot and checked out the Q7 just for kicks. After spotting a CX9 at JFK airport, we decided to give it a test drive. We were blown away! We have done 2000 miles thus far and are enjoying every bit of it. Well finished interiors, except that the plastics in some areas are lacking in quality...but who cares. This is one mean driving baby. Our son loves our new "Jumbo" (compared to our smaller Volvo S60). It has all the safety features we were looking for, including my favorite (Blind Spot Monitoring); I have a bad right eye. If you are considering a new family hauler, do not look further. If there is anything I would say against it, it would be the overall ride on 20 inch wheels on rough roads. It does ride a bit stiff, but handles great with a great turning radius. Try out the model with the smaller wheels if you want a "cushy" ride."

I love this car!

By on Friday, April 18, 2014

Pros: "roomy, quiet,smooth running"

Cons: "blind spots, gas mileage"

"I have had many cars in my life and have never bought the same make/model twice.....until now! The CX-9 is a great car that has never let me down. It drives like a dream, has excellent pick up, lots of fun options and it looks amazing. The Bose sound system is a real treat as is the dual seat heat, and climate control. It COMFORTABLY fits all 8 of us (myself, husband and 6 kids)...even on longer drives. There is lots of leg room and cargo space with the seats down. I have rarely had to take it in for anything other than standard repairs, ie: wheel bearings and exhaust. The only thing that ever bothered me are the blind spots. If you buy this car, they take some getting used to as they are pretty significant. It now has 105,000 miles and is still running strong. I would keep it, but we are downsizing 2 cars for one and a NEW CX-9 is the only way to go!"

Reliable, comfortable, good highway mileage

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pros: "dependability, comfort, driving"

Cons: "backing up, space, paint scratches easily"

"I bought this car new in 2008 and have been driving it hard ever since. I recently passed 100,000 miles. The only major repair I have had to do was to replace a tie rod. I've changed the oil every 7000 miles, replaced the tires once, brakes once, but other than that have never had a problem with it. My only complaints are that the front seat area is a little cramped with the center console, and it is scary backing up (hard to see out back - should have gotten the back up camera) but the comfort and dependability truly outweigh any negatives. I have averaged 18-20 mph around town and 24 on the highway. Great pickup and braking."

Decent but disappointing

By on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Many trips back to the dealer. Electrical (courtesy light quit working/not the bulb), front bushing replaced at 20,000 miles, door moldings came off, replaced, but now there's wind noise. Gas mileage is terrible. Performance in snow is bad probably due to tires. Won't be buying it at lease end. No wonder there were many changes for 2008."

Solid all around value with a few minor drawbacks

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "Handling, versatility, comfortable seating"

Cons: "Quirky radio/climate controls"

"Purchased new in early 2012, we were drawn to the Mazda CX-9 by the roomy, comfortable interior with high quality materials and a 3rd row seat in a fairly compact package. Ease of opening and folding the 3rd row seat sold the wife on this car. She loves it. So do I. With 22000 miles, the CX-9 has had only two unscheduled visits to the dealer. 1. A power steering belt broke; and 2. I had to cut the seat belt in the right rear to extract my child who had been squirming around and got himself inextricably entwined in the seat belt which cinched up around him and could not be unfastened. Mazda was good enough to cover that repair even though I didn't expect them to. A bit disappointed with 16-17 MPG city and 22 hwy. but with adequate acceleration. Had hoped for 3-4 MPG more each. Braking very good with 80% pads left after 22,000 miles. Brakes squeak occasionally when cold but there is a kit Mazda installs to eliminate this. Excellent driving position and comfort on long hauls. No fatigue after a 3 1/2 hour drive and that's exceptional for me with my bad back. Love the Blind Spot Monitoring system. Works great. The gauges are a bit dated looking and are either too bright or too dim at night with limited adjustability. A very slight turn of the dimmer knob either direction maxes it out either way. The rear view camera provides a somewhat distorted view to the rear. Daylight glare on the screen washes out that view. Handling is exceptional for an SUV of this size. But ride can be a bit bouncy on certain surfaces with the 20" wheels on the Grand Touring. And the OEM Bridgestone tires became rather noisy with a loud humm after 20,000 miles. The radio/climate controls beep every time you make a selection. Wish I knew how to turn that off. It's a bit annoying. And the radio/climate display read out at the top center of the dash is not prominent enough. I prefer a clearer, larger display. Also, the keyless ignition on the 2012 model is a bit quirky. The keyless fob allows you to turn the "dummy" ignition switch on the steering column, as opposed to a "push start-push off" button. None of that is that big of a deal to us however. Overall, we're very happy, and glad we bought the 2012 model. We DO NOT LIKE the 2013-2014 exterior redesign."