1999 Lexus ES

9.4

Based on 299 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

All-Around Perfect Reliable Vehicle

By on Monday, August 4, 2008

"I bought this vehicle in the year 2000 with 23,000 miles on it (Certified), I now have 155,600 miles on it and the car still runs perfect. Now when I say perfect, i mean the engine is still so smooth, the car shifts gears (auto) smoothly, acceleration and turning and breaking is still so very good! Between the years 2000-2008, the major mechanical services performed on my ES300 were: The timing belt-$450. 2 Cylinders failed at different times-$225 each--This was after 130,000 miles on the car though. And the reason they failed is because at pointsi like to force the cars power and its' ability to perform under tough situations. Other regular maintenance requirements have been made such as: Tune up, tire balance, and wheel alignment every 20,000 miles. 4-New tires every 1.5 years. Oil change (synthetic) every 3,500 miles. Cooling system is excellent, car never over-heated even under the hot extreme conditions i have put it through. Oil warms up well enough to drive in less then 4 minutes. Over all this car is excellent, from the engine side, to the comfort side. Very safe and affordable luxury vehicle. I'm sure this vehicle won't be as good anymore in the upcoming years because of it's many years on the road, and you obviously will never find a new '99 ES300 anymore, but the similar vehicles made by Lexus or any vehicles made by Lexus, 99% of the time will get the same ratings reviews. EXCELLENT RELIABLE PRODUCTION -Thank You Lexus. :)"

This is the best car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, July 1, 2013

Pros: "Dependablity, Smooth Ride, Stylish"

Cons: "Squeeky Brake Noise"

"I bought my car Sept 12, 2001 - very sad day in US history, but it has been the absolute best car. I am not looking forward to giving up this fine beauty when the time comes. It's a Coach Edition with onyx emblems. I must get 2 offers a month from strangers asking me if I would like to sell. The only complaint I have is squeaky brakes, which I have had since day one. The maintenance has been regular so I have not experienced any horror stories yet. I will be replacing a timing belt next week, but that is me not wanting to wait until the last moment - the repairs all have been minimal (oil changes, brakes, a battery, tires). If Lexus still builds a car like this one, I'll buy another one! It's been such a good car."

High reliability over 203,000 miles

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "High reliability"

Cons: "Not sure"

"High reliability, great for a used car. Maintaining basic service care will result in 300,000 plus miles of driving. Maintain regular oil and filter changes every 3,000-4,000 miles (not 5,000 miles due to sludge problems with other "rare" Lexus flaws ). Check engine light is common past 150,000 miles. Use fuel injector cleaner, spark plugs should be less than 80,000 miles old. More comfortable than some new $40,000 luxury cars."

Best Vehicle I've ever owned

By on Thursday, August 9, 2007

"When I purchased my 2002 Lexus two years ago it had 73000 miles on it. Alot of research went into buying a car with that many miles. Being from the old school, when cars would fall apart after 50000 miles, I discided to bite the bullet and purchased this car for $18000. I have taken this car to Florida twice and never thought about it. I would recommend a Lexus to anyone. I will be a loyal Lexus customer from now on!"

A Classic Lexus Experience

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "ride, cabin, reliability, luxury"

Cons: "handling, city mpg, slow"

"This Lexus is highly practical but also rather luxurious. It has a very definitively smooth ride that can be compared to riding on a cloud or even ice skating. The same suspension that makes this car very comfortable also makes it dispirited and at times dull, for a young guy like me anyway. The chassis absorbs even the harshest bumps well and the speed of the vehicle has no reflection on the quietness of the cabin. Know that you will be hard pressed to find a smoother running sedan. The luxurious features of the this car are top of the line (for 2001) heated electric adjustable seats are extremely comfortable. I have owned this car from 60k-80k miles and reliability has been excellent absolutely no mechanical issues whatsoever. The electronic components match the superb quality of the engine and suspension. Everything is extremely well put together resulting in an extremely quiet ride. The only gripes I have with this car is its, engine which while being of an outstanding reliability (the mk2), manages to obtain poor city gas mileage but only demands regular fuel. Sort of a mixed bag really. The more up to date engines of today surpass the mk2 in every category except, again, unparalleled reliability. But the mk2 is not overly slow,being a 3.0 V6. It can give you a rush if you put your foot down, but don't expect to win any drag races. This would be an excellent car for a person who wants an extra smooth ride, reliability, and a luxurious experience at a cheap price.If your are above the age of 25 this car is heaven. But id like to feel the road and get the adrenaline pumping when i drive so this car isn't best suited for someone like me. For young enthusiastic drivers, please look elsewhere. An added bonus is the car is amazing on the snow (as long as you have decent all season tires), due to the design most of the weight falls on the front wheels. I live in Chicago so I know how it handles in bad weather. Other cars I have owned and would recommend: -Lexus LS 430 2001 -Toyota Sienna 1998 -Honda Civic EX 2006 -Acura TL 2004"

Simply Amazing!

By on Sunday, May 23, 2010

"I've never experienced a car that is 13 years old and still drives like it is new! From the engine to the paint to the interior, everything holds up and stands the test of time! My '97 ES300 with 193k miles has more features and drives smoother than some of the current domestic models on the road today! My only gripe is the gas mileage--Combined city/highway driving is 17 MPG and from what I hear this is pretty standard. Other than that, if you want a stylish, quality and well built car that still looks new 10+ years later, get an ES300 today!"

My most favorite car

By on Saturday, January 9, 2010

"I would also like to add my two cents about my 1998 Lexus Es300. It's the 4th car that I've driven, and I am the 3rd owner. I am in love with the car. I bought it at 103k miles in 8-2007 and I have 166k on it now. It still runs and looks great. The audio system is very good being the Nakamichi system. It has a good amount of power that is not hindered by it's 3700lb weight. Gas mileage is good too! I have gotten 32mpg on highway trips, and I usually get an average of 28mpg with combined highway and city driving. The only thing that I have had to do to it besides regular maintenance is replace the rear struts- which is an age related thing. Other than that, just brakes, tires and battery. If you are looking for a used car- even if it's over 10 years old, you will NOT be disappointed! The styling is a bit boring- but that's classic Lexus. These cars will easily go to 250k-300k miles. I hope I can keep it that long; the only thing that would stop me is my husband wanting a different or newer car. I've owned 3 11+ year old american cars before this, and not one of them can hold a candle to this one. I love it!!!!"

lexus is tops

By on Tuesday, January 1, 2008

"I had the GS 300 for 14 years and enjoyed every minute of it. It was the most dependable and comfortable car I have had ever had. Don't know why anyone would want any other make of car. Over 240,000 miles and I only changed plugs twice and regular oil changes it ran as good as it did from day one."

I love this car

By on Friday, September 7, 2007

"I got my 2002 Lexus ES300 certified used, the first luxury car I ever owned, two years ago with 35,000 miles on it. It looked like brand new, and still does. This is the most comfortable car I've ever owned or driven in. I've had to do nothing to it except gas and oil (except now at 60K I guess I need to give her some scheduled maintenance). I alternate this car between her and her new little sister Corolla, and look forward to driving my Lexus every time. Everyone that comes in my car comments how nice it is. I recommend this car to anyone."

Best car ever! Lowest maintenance - Unbelievable!

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "Very reliable; only routine maintenance - no prob."

Cons: "back cup holders are week."

"I bought my '97 Lexus ES300 new. I have always provided regular maintenance on the car (oil changes, tire rotations, major "check ups" at recommended intervals i.e. 60k, 90k, etc) but otherwise this car has been the most trouble free car ever. At 180,000 miles, I just replaced the rear brake pads for the 2nd time (yes you read that correctly). The front brake pads were replaced at 90k and are still going strong! I recently had to have a new spark plug at 175k (the first and only one). Otherwise a few other items have had to be replaced in the past couple of years (items that for other cars would have gone much sooner - muffler/exhaust (due to rust), and I also put new shock absorbers on the car. Each of these items were required above 150k and really are just maintenance items that any other car would have needed much sooner. The car still drives as smooth and quiet as it did 15 years ago, in fact, I have to really pay attention too the speedometer because you can find yourself going too fast without realizing it b/c the engine doesn't rev even at high speeds despite its age and # of miles. I have always used premium gas and the car gets 26 MPG on avg. As you can tell, I love this car despite the fact that I also own a 2006 Lexus RX350, 2006 BMW 330 ci (hate BMW - not reliable and certainly not "ultimate driving machine" - but convertible is fun; and 2011 Infiniti G37x - also highly recommended."