1997 Lexus ES

9.4

Based on 300 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Quality is the word

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"Bought it, December 31, 1996. Problems so far: had to replace a sensor, a loose clamp on a brake hose, and a tendency of turn-signal bulbs to get loose and speed up the rate of directional clicking. The latter could be a design problem. The paint quality is excellent -- it still beads water after so many years with no wax jobs. Another useful feature is: sun visors that can be extended; surprisingly, the LS400 does not carry this feature. Seats are very comfortable for extended driving. Original battery lasted almost 10 (ten) years and I changed it before it died out! Although the car did lose some of its original oomph, it is still a joy to drive."

The # 1car on the road.

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable ride and drive!"

"Warranty is excellent for a problem when out of town. Covered all repairs and provided a rental car to use. It just don't get any better!"

Great Vehicle, Great Value, Sweet Ride

By on Friday, November 8, 2013

Pros: "great V6 engine, sexy exterior design, good MPG"

Cons: "cup holder design, otherwise none"

"I drove around in my dad's Lexus for over a year and loved every minute of it. This car has a top notch stereo, and its exterior design is ahead of its time. It gets pretty decent gas mileage, and drives really smooth! I loved my dad's Lexus ES300 so much, i got the exact same car with 171000 miles on it for my first car! If this car ever dies, (unlikely) i will end up buying another Lexus/Toyota in replace of it. Only things that need to be done are oil changes and common maintenance things. (brakes, tires, etc...) I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a sexy, smooth, and luxurious ride!!"

My first luxury car

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, smooth ride. Nice luxury features"

Cons: "Garbage radio display and cup holders."

"Bought my 1997 ES with 75,000 miles in 2003 from the dealer. It is a true luxury car. I am eternally spoiled because of the quiet interior. No yelling over road noise. Regular mainanence has proved to keep the car in excellent running condition. It has a surge at exactly 40 miles an hour that no mechanic has been able to resolve, but that is minor. My slightly low ratings are due to a lousy radio display that delaminates and appears first as heiroglypics and then eventually black. Lexus knows of this issue and has done nothing to fix it. The option is to keep replacing the radio/CD at $650.00 (Lexus will ONLY replace the entire radio even though the display can be replaced separately)with another that will, in a couple years delaminate again. The cup holders, while an earlier generation are shallow and cheap and break easily. That is a mere $250.00 to replace. Now the clear coat is coming of my car in sheets. Is this normal? Or was my car wrecked and painted prior to my purchase and did the dealership lie when I asked? Too good a car to be mis-represented by a Lexus dealership."

By on Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pros: "Drive it. You'll love it."

Cons: "Wish it got a couple of more miles per gallon."

"I've had my 1997 Lexus for 14 years and going to keep it until it dies. It has been the most reliable automobile I have ever owned. Regular oil changes and maintence keeps it running smoothly. One major repair has been the timing belt, but guess what it will probably out live me. I'm 65 years of age."