1997 Lexus ES

9.4

Based on 302 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Great Vehicle, Great Value, Sweet Ride

By on Friday, November 8, 2013

Pros: "great V6 engine, sexy exterior design, good MPG"

Cons: "cup holder design, otherwise none"

"I drove around in my dad's Lexus for over a year and loved every minute of it. This car has a top notch stereo, and its exterior design is ahead of its time. It gets pretty decent gas mileage, and drives really smooth! I loved my dad's Lexus ES300 so much, i got the exact same car with 171000 miles on it for my first car! If this car ever dies, (unlikely) i will end up buying another Lexus/Toyota in replace of it. Only things that need to be done are oil changes and common maintenance things. (brakes, tires, etc...) I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a sexy, smooth, and luxurious ride!!"

My first luxury car

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, smooth ride. Nice luxury features"

Cons: "Garbage radio display and cup holders."

"Bought my 1997 ES with 75,000 miles in 2003 from the dealer. It is a true luxury car. I am eternally spoiled because of the quiet interior. No yelling over road noise. Regular mainanence has proved to keep the car in excellent running condition. It has a surge at exactly 40 miles an hour that no mechanic has been able to resolve, but that is minor. My slightly low ratings are due to a lousy radio display that delaminates and appears first as heiroglypics and then eventually black. Lexus knows of this issue and has done nothing to fix it. The option is to keep replacing the radio/CD at $650.00 (Lexus will ONLY replace the entire radio even though the display can be replaced separately)with another that will, in a couple years delaminate again. The cup holders, while an earlier generation are shallow and cheap and break easily. That is a mere $250.00 to replace. Now the clear coat is coming of my car in sheets. Is this normal? Or was my car wrecked and painted prior to my purchase and did the dealership lie when I asked? Too good a car to be mis-represented by a Lexus dealership."

By on Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pros: "Drive it. You'll love it."

Cons: "Wish it got a couple of more miles per gallon."

"I've had my 1997 Lexus for 14 years and going to keep it until it dies. It has been the most reliable automobile I have ever owned. Regular oil changes and maintence keeps it running smoothly. One major repair has been the timing belt, but guess what it will probably out live me. I'm 65 years of age."

Best Car Ever Owned

By on Saturday, September 15, 2007

"I purchased this car in Nov. 2006 pre-owned with 25,000 miles. The car currently has 48,000 miles. The car is roomy, rides like a dream, and still looks new. I have taken the car on long trips with great gas mileage of 35 MPG and the most comfortable ride of any car I have owned. I will be a repeat Lexus owner when this one is replaced. I would recommend a Lexus to everyone looking for a luxury car."

The ES 300 was one of the best cars ever built!

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Pros: "riding comfort, gas mileage, visibility, dependabl"

Cons: "Maintenance is more"

"At 200,000 miles this car is going strong, and should be good for another 100,000. The only item that went bad was the radio face plate that cooked in the Arizona sun at 160,000 miles. For ride, visibility, and compliments from other car owners, this was a wonderful era of auto design and construction. Depreciation averaged 8 cents per mile for me, 150,000 miles on a 12k used car purchase price."