1998 Land Rover Range Rover

7.3

Based on 119 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.6/10
    7.2/10

An exceptional vehicle

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "Not many out there."

Cons: "misunderstood. yet that ensures it's eccentricity"

"Let's be honest, this is not a honda, toyota, or any other type of zero to low maintance vehicle. It's a Range Rover. Are they overpriced when new? Absolutly. Is the build quality/price ratio way out of balance? Of course. Yet it is probably one of the most under appreciated vehicles out there by people who do not understand it. Driving an older RR says a few things about you. Not 'I have a lot of money' or an inflated ego', if that were the case then you'd buy as new a one as you could afford. Driving a P38 or RRC says you're unique and a bit odd, but in a good way. You appreciate what an amazingly different vehicle it really is. You need to have the funds to keep it well maintained. But when it's maintained it's a great ride!"

Not Impressed

By on Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Every day that goes by I wish I had bought a Lexus 470 or similar. This car's quality problems are monumental. I have spent enough in repair on this car to buy a new Kia, what a nightmare."

RR

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"I have had this vehicle for 4 years and I love it, definitely have to repair it often though ...he are the things I repaired so far Radiator, Rotors after 4Ok, Wheel hub assembly, Both rear air shocks, ac condensor, several faults that had to be reset, oxygen sensors there are 4, and a lot of stupid little things.....but In the plus everyone looks at you like your royalty when you drive in one....I will prolly keep this truck for the winter but would not buy another, to many repair bills and a supreme gas guzzzler that only takes premium................AHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Worst Vehicle Ever

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"My 2001 Range Rover has left me stranged at least 5 times. Now they say I need a new engine and they can't find one for it. My $60,000 car is worth nothing."

I'm an advocate

By on Saturday, October 1, 2011

"We love our Range Rover. it has 184,000 miles with only a couple of repairs outside of normal maintenance. It goes anywhere. Drives like a cream puff on the road and handles everything we throw at it off road. Like any car with this mileage it has a few quirks but overall one of the best cars I have owned."

a nice classy SUV

By on Friday, February 1, 2008

"this is an SUV that is not for every one . If you just wanna drive through a winter storm then you better go GM, Ford, or japanese . Why I say that because this one is a class by itself . Rovers go by generations not years . so this is the 2nd generation Range Rover . I love the off road capabilities that it has . the comfort issue is very subjective . Its for sure not that comfortable . windows are very panoramic , wood trim and leather are great . the muti color steering wheel is so unique . Now the negatives : a true gas guzzler, very slow from 0-60 .Thats it 1"

many many many repair one after the other!

By on Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Reason: junk

Pros: "looks good thats it!"

Cons: "junk"

"If I could rate this car a zero I would. I had soo soo many problems with this car it was unreal. In the end I gave the car away. I only had the car three years and with many repairs totaling $6000 or more. buyer beware!"

Great quality trucks but pricey to maintain

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Good value, very luxurious with plenty of space"

Cons: "Keep money in the budget for repairs"

"I have owned 6 of these vehicles in the last few years. They all seem to have very similar issues....they are super luxurious and have extremely nice amenities. However, the common issues on these trucks is with the air ride, Heater core leaks and AC blendor motor issues. Aside from that, these are a great bang for the buck suv. My 2001 is just as nice as most brand new SUVs for a fraction of the price. They are liking riding around on your living room sofa. Having 4 wheel drive all the time makes this a pleasure to drive (especially in winter weather). My wife and I love them and will continue to own Range Rovers."

Comfortable but not reliable!

By on Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, and fun to drive!"

Cons: "Gas guzzler, expensive, and alarm system annoying!"

"This car is great... When its going. Wether its not starting due to an alarm problem, or what. It's a pain! The car has a certain feel to it though, when it's working i love it. Driving it is such an ease! I'm only sixteen and let me tell you, i drive great in this. But i hate how its unreliable. I love it but maybe think on getting a different car. :("

Be Careful what you wish for

By on Sunday, January 27, 2008

"Most awesome 4x4 ever, but I still would only recommend it to very few people. The owner is going to have to learn to fix it themselves if they go offroad and that is all there is to it without a near bottomless wallet. Rover's philosophy on what is a regular maintenance item is too broad for the average person to keep up with, you have to love working on it. Find a used one that has only been to the country club and has been pampered at the dealer and you will never regret a few extra $1000 at purchase. This is my third Rover and I love it. NOTHING can touch one of these Range Rovers offroad if they have been prepped right. You would have to spend $30-40 in upgrades on a Jeep or Dodge to get even close to this performance and then you would lose the on road manners of a comfortable luxury car."

By on Thursday, December 13, 2007

GREAT CAR FOR THE MONEY

By on Thursday, October 28, 2010

"if you want to go out there and buy a 80,000 dollar car, it should be perfect. however, i was not willing to do that, i bought this car for 9,000 i've driven it through some horrible snow storms, flash floods, through washed out roads. Everything mother nature has thrown at me i've driven through. My 2000 range rover has never let me down. When i first bought it, it has sports tires, and i drove it through a winter with no problem. The next winter i bought snow tires,and never took them off, no problems in the summer either. For the money it is the most capable car out there. Not only that though, but it has style, and class. It looks good on a dry sunny day. You can pull up to the club and still get people saying wow thats a nice car. When i was in high school, people used to think i payed 20k for my red range rover. It has a great ride to it, and has always been there for me. My only recommendation is that you research the car out before you buy it and make sure you are getting the right deal and the right car, after that go have fun. One last thing i would like to add is that living in the city, you need the handling and acceleration to get through traffic, i am an aggressive driver. I have never gotten in an accident with my range rover, the way it handles itself through traffic is amazing. It gets you to where you need to go with grace. Then when your on the highway, just open it up and let it rip, its fast. It gets up there into triple digits with ease, and it does so keeping its handling at par. It is truly a great car for the money."

4.0 SE Range Rover- SOOO Comfortable!

By on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pros: "Best Safety vehicle, Most Comfort-Looks Great!"

Cons: "VERY $$$ TO FIX-Hard to find parts-GAS GUZZLER!"

"It's comfort is undeniable..Have had many high end cars and this has the most comfort. Very Expensive to fix, and most places won't touch it, unless it is a RR/LR Dealer. Parts very hard to come by- not many Parts for my model are interchangeable, only made it a couple of years..But mine being a 1995- still had more options than most luxury vehs now..Ride is very smooth once air suspension was removed (common prob in this model).SuperLock is very expensive and almost always a problem in this veh.. Finding a replacement is impossible- cannot drive or even turn the car on without it. Travels nice- but is not a quick mover, but once your moving-your moving and don't even notice it. Can pull just abt anything. IT IS A GAS GUZZLER! Just turning on the veh- I can watch the gas tank empty. But even on ice, it is so heavy- I have never had a prob, usually just break through it..It is the safest veh ever- you get in an accident- guaranteed to walk away."

Love this vehicle !

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, had 90,000 mi check ,Classic"

"Little old lady owner, recent total check up, new tires, classic collectible , file with info available ..has suspension system that lowers for ease of getting in and out."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Great SUV. I have always wanted one of these, and when I finally got my hands on this one, all my expectations were met. In the sea of white Tahoes and Suburbans, the Range Rover is a breath of fresh air from the mundane and bland. Do yourself a favor and treat yourself. Cheers!"

Collectible

By on Thursday, July 16, 2015

Pros: "Enjoy driving it."

Cons: "Does not use regular gas"

"Original owner. Has air suspension for lowering and raising for easy access or driving over creeks in off road driving. New tires, latest 90,000 mi check up,"

Monopoly

By on Monday, August 30, 2010

"I think I've paid double the purchase price for my Rover in repairs. It's ridiculous. I LOVE the Rovers, but won't ever buy one again. The dealership is the only place to get it worked on. It seems Land Rover won't share their product manual. Smart on their part. Bad for the consumer. My advice would be not to buy one (which is extremely painful to say)."

This truck is an animal.

By on Monday, December 5, 2011

Pros: "Great overall."

Cons: "MPGs"

"I pulled my husband's Ford F250 with trailer attached out of three feet of snow. It can go anywhere. Great truck. Period."

it is the nicest vehicle i've ever owned

By on Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pros: "great to drive, very comfortable"

Cons: "too small for ice fishing and hunting gear"

parked in driveway

"i love driving this vehicle. always has power when i need it. the seats wrap me up and keep me comfortable with heat when its cold, fully adjustable electronic. provided enough leg for me and passengers over 6' tall. good sound system. trunk space has enough room for 4 sets of golf clubs and a small cooler without being visible from the rear windows. the ride is always smooth and no surprises in the road. never drove off road other than compacted sand and gravel roads, it behaved very nicely."

parked in driveway

Best pre-owned SUV for money

By on Monday, April 28, 2008

"I bought a 1996 Range Rover in Newport Beach,CA in Feb,08 as an additional go around weekend mountain bike ,towing boat and off road vehicle so I can park it next to my Conv. Jag XKR & Bentley Mulliner, The P38 chasis is magnificient rugged and it is still not outdated as of yet as far as look. i think I have paid the best $12,000 dollars that money could buy for a super low mileage 96 , one owner with all books & records Black on Black 4.6 HSE."

Luxury SUV

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Yes it is expensive to buy new. But find a good used one and it's worth the deal. Throw some 20 inch wheels on this model and it completely transforms the look of this car."

safest we ever had

By on Sunday, September 2, 2007

"waited many years to save enough to buy a vehicle that is this reliable"

By on Sunday, August 26, 2007

"u better own a gas station to keep it full! breaks down all the time!!!"

Extraordinary. Greatest looking SUV ever!

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Unique Utilitarian Fun Reliable GreatSoundSystem !"

Cons: "Air Suspension wouldn't work at sub-0 degrees."

"Just love this vehicle, even at 20 years old, and would prefer to keep it forever, but purchased a newer vehicle to last the rest of my life {probably another 20 years)."

Love this car

By on Monday, February 23, 2015

Pros: "Fun, amazing in winter and bad weather, classic"

Cons: "chews up gas"

"This car is so awesome. I bought it for my mom but my family fell in love with it. We had a tough winter and it saved us. I hear these things last forever and my daughter says she wants it to be her car when she grows up."