2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II

6.8

Based on 216 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10

Solid Truck - Must be Mechanically Inclined

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"My 2001 SE7 is just turning 90K Miles, and yes I've needed to perform some dealer-sponsored maintenance such as leaky driveline/transfercase seals and replacing one of the airbags for the rear suspension. My extended warranty has definitely paid for itself and once it expires, I will probably put another 5000 miles on the truck before beginning to search for something else. Overall it's been very reliable and trustworthy. I'd never hesitate to take it as far away from civilization as the weather/geography would allow. If you are not mechanically inclined, then be prepared to pay a little extra to fix some of the little, quirky things that malfunction or break on these vehicles, such as the rear window washer hose where it crosses from the body to the back door, or the 40 amp fuse that routinely blows when adjusting the front seat while the seat heaters are on. When all is said and done, you can't help but enjoy the extreme safety, comfort, convenience, visability and ruggedness of the Disco II."

HMMM...

By on Friday, July 17, 2009

"I have had my LR for a little under a year and I have had nothing but trouble with it, from head gaskets to faulty door lock mechanisms, I have been very disapointed!"

Breaks down and costs alot to fix

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Breaks down regularly. In just over 6 mo. I have had the colling system hoses go, the water pump break and the head gasket blow. With the head gasket blow they said it was likely that the sleve in the cylined slipped and fell and hence the engine was likely blown but couldn't tell for sure until they did the 2k in work for the head gasket. In short, Land Rovers are not reliable, constantly break down and cost an arm and a leg to fix. They take premium gas and full synthetic oil meaning maintenance and operation is expensive as well. Paired with very poor gas mileage as they age they are a very bad buy."

1999 LandRover Discovery 11

By on Sunday, November 25, 2007

"A smart looking, very dependable British made SUV. This particular model handles and rides extremely well with a rarely found air suspension that operates in both an manual or automatic leveling/handling mode. With the addition of 4WD, ABS brakes and air ride it makes winter road handling a dream and prioritizes safety first. A large roof rack can handle an extreme amount of cargo, good for camping or long vacations as everything gets stored outside with an easy to use ladder provided to reach the top for off/on loading. If you want fuel economy, well your not going to get very far with this SUV as it not only never reaches 20mpg but also burns premium or high octane (91 or better) at the pumps. It has a large tank so if fuel prices are high be prepared for your first full fill-up shock, it could be more than you expected. Once you get passed that you won't find a better built SUV on the road, it is comfortable, many features are ahead of their time, and it is British who have always been known for constructing very reliable and long lasting automotive and aircraft designs since early in the 1920's."

Be prepared

By on Thursday, November 1, 2007

"I love the look of this vehicle, that's why I purchased it. I found myself having expensive repairs on parts that should not wear out on a vehicle so soon. If you can repair the vehicle yourself, I guess it would be ok. Just know that looks are deceiving!"

Would buy again

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"I have had this vehicle for almost 5 years. Bought with 60k, now have 113k. No major problems or maintenace required. Is very comfortable and the quality is great. Hold up better than any other car I have owned. Would reccommend to anyone."

Great Vehicle!

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"This has been a fantastic vehicle. While being smallish and rugged it still can seat 7 with the rear jump seats. The build quality is excellent, and I have had no major mechanical issues."

Best Vehicle Ever Owned

By on Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pros: "On Road or Off this Vehicle is amazing"

Cons: "Could use more power ports and Cup Holders could b"

"This SUV rides better than most cars but will still go anywhere without slipping a wheel."

Best Disco II I've ever known of

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "fun, easy care, dogs love it"

Cons: "seat heaters are easily activated by accident"

"I bought this car in 2003 from a single owner. Car had ever single maintenance record, all completed on time and I have continued the same. The car has never had a single mechanical problem. Never been in the shop for more than standard service. I did have gaskets and seals replaced as well as new breaks done as a precautionary measure in 2006. Have take to dealer for most service. Only problem I have ever had was the anti-theft system computer shut the car off and prevented it from restarting when I used two different keys (left vehicle running and locked while running in post office) computer system had to be reset and the tow was as much as the labor as I do not live close to a dealer. Other than that, this car has been amazing. My sister in law and I both drive them and she has had 2 lemons...lucky me! I hate to part with this car so hoping it will go a hundred thousand more miles!"

183,000 miles

By on Monday, April 11, 2011

"We drove our Disco II for 12 years and 180k miles. It is a fun SUV and was great in the off road. The biggest drawback was that the maintenance, parts and repairs have always been outrageously expensive. We are "putting it down" and moving into an American made SUV."

Great on and off road vehicle

By on Sunday, December 27, 2009

"I just bought my 2000 Land Rover Discovery a month ago with 72,000 miles and it has been nothing but great. I love the way it looks and how nothing on the road look anything like it. The power on these things is great especially when you put in into sport mode. We just took it on vacation and I wanted to test the 4x4 and it was fantastic. I put it in muddy trails and when the wheel would spin, the Traction Control would immediataly respond. You have to have some money when buying one of these though. I just had an oil change and that was over $90. The rear air suspension is now sagging but I will definately get an extended warranty and not have to worry anymore. I love this car and would want anybody to get one."

Not so good

By on Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Bought this car a while ago and loved it when I was offroading it. I finally ran into some trouble about three years ago and had to start spending close to $20,000 since then to repair the vehicle. Even though I love this vehicle I am finally giving up on it. Save your money buy a jeep to offroad, and a car to drive, trust me it will be cheaper."

Great TRUCK ok SUV

By on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"I've had my LR discovery for about two years now and it has been reliable and also stylish.Rides more like a truck then a luxury Vehicle but looks great just like one.This winter we got over two feet of snow witch is a lot for this area.Most people were snowed in...... Not me got around Great without studs or chains. i would suggest this vehicle to anyone who plans on DRIVING it if u want a curb jumping,paved road driving truck buy an Escalade if u want a Stylish, tough and CAPABLE vehicle BUY LAND ROVER I'll never own anything else.well maybe a Bently LOL"

Disappointed

By on Friday, February 20, 2009

"I bought new in 2001 and have kept up with maintenance since then however once I hit 50,000 miles this past year I have spent thousands on repairs. ABS, head gaskets, door lock repair, heated seat element, and more. Couple of break-downs ( Thanks AAA ) I enjoy driving this unique looking vehicle but my 18 year old BMW is more dependable. Land Rover service is great but expensive!!"

Worst Verhicle I Have Owned

By on Thursday, August 7, 2008

"I originally leased this vehicle for 36 months and purchased the vehicle once the lease expired. At the time of the purchase, the vehicle had not given me much problems, except for a number of electrical issues. Well things changed for worst within six months of the lease buyout. With only 47000 on the vehicle, the following items went bad: air conditioning out, transmission failure, radiator replacement, electrical issues causing headlight blubs to blow for no reason. And to beat them all, the ECM unit went out. In thirteen months, I have put approx. $8,000 into this vehicle for repairs. What a waste of money. Never again will I buy a Land Rover. To add insult to injury, even the Land Rover Dealer Technician said I should never keep a LR vehicle beyond the warranty period. I wish the saleperson would have told me that. At least I could have had the option of buying an extended warranty."

junk

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"although my disco did live up to its name off road very well, it was wheeled very little and broke all the time. it was an electrical nightmare, had temp problems from day one, and in general ALWAYS had SOMETHING wrong. i couldnt wait to get rid of this thing!"

it delivers what land rover promised

By on Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"I've owned my 2001 Discovery for over a year now and have never once had a single problem with it. FANTASTIC off-road, especially with the OME lift kit and tires. I've owned many 4x4's and this is by far the most comfortable. anyone complaning about reliability didn't properly maintain the vehicle. Has some harsh wind noise at highway speed, but with the aerodynamics of a brick i didnt expect to much from that aspect of the truck! Besides that, I love it!"

i luv rovers

By on Friday, January 18, 2008

"I owned a 1997 Disco for a long time. It was a love hate relationship. I absolutely loved this vehicle since I am an avid outdoors man however even though it never left me down in the bush, it certainly let me down in the driveway. Alot of expensive maintenance. If you are gonna shell out this kind a cash for a vehicle you would expect some toyota dependability. I hope this is helpful"

love my rover

By on Saturday, October 6, 2007

"bought it in 2006, had 38k miles, now has 63K. Same gas mileage as a hummer h2, which is the only drawback Performs amazingly off road. very stable, and very comfortable. I'd rather be driving this truck than any domestic 4 wheel drive out there, even a Jeep. But, don't buy this vehicle without an extended warranty. Repair and parts don't come cheap; better to buy as certified from a rover dealer."

Love my Rover

By on Monday, October 1, 2007

"This car was built to go anywhere in the world. Not for driving 90 on a freeway. It's a very heavy truck, you need to drive it like that. They break down because people drive them to fast and hit the brakes to hard. It's the best on a dirt road heading for a great camp spot that no one else could get to."

GREAT OFF ROAD, UNIQUE STYLING

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"FUN TO DRIVE, CAN BE COSTLY TO UP KEEP BUT WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY FOR DRIVING A CAR THAT IS NOT LIKE EVERY OTHER CAR ON THE ROAD. OFF-RAOD CAPABILITIES ARE AMAZING. I'VE OWNED MANY 4WD'S, OUT PERFORMS ANY OF THEM. ALOT OF VALUE WHEN PURCHASED PRE-OWNED FOR THE MONEY."

Expensive Upkeep

By on Monday, September 3, 2007

"Technology and mechanical engineering do not match to provide dependable performance. Rotors engineered too small to handle weight of vehicle under normal wear. Rotors must be changed each time brakes changed. This is a $1500 charge versus $250 on other 4X4 vehicles. Except for the speed sensors (electronics related to decent control) and brakes, this was a nice vehicle to own if you can afford the maintainance cost."

My favorite vehicle so far

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "Comfortable, arrive in style anywhere on land"

Cons: "Can be costly to maintain, few qualified mechanics"

Driving a dusty road heading south toward the North Sister, in the Three Sisters area in Oregon.

"This was my second Land Rover Discovery, and truly a joy to drive. This Disco has served me well on many off-road trips and numerous camping trips, and yet looks good when going out on the town as well. This vehicle is well designed and well built, and includes many great features. The biggest problem for me has been costs for maintenance, with both Rovers, though there is a lot of performance to go with that price. If I were to sell this vehicle I would miss it. I have recommended Rover's to a few people over the years, and will likely do so again."

great first car!

By on Sunday, November 6, 2011

"this car is great in the snow it handles well and is very reliable"

Great Loaner!

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

I don't own this car

Pros: "easy to handle, drives smooth for a sport utility"

Cons: "gas guzzler, expensive to maintain"

"I have been driving this Company vehicle for the last year and a half. It has been reliable and comfortable. In the past year however, it has had a few things go out, such as the heating system, which was quoted to me by the Land Rover dealership in Austin, at a cost of $2500 to fix. Then the passenger window can't roll down b/c it is off track and once again, the Land Rover dealership wants too much to fix it. The back door has a broken latch that prevents it from opening. I took it to the dealership, and just for them to look at it to see what part would be needed would cost $200. So it is still broken. The sun roof does not open, I do not know how long they have been inoperable. I have never used them. None of these things interfere with the driving ability of the vehicle. In the winter it is cold with no heater. Thank goodness I live in Texas! =)"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Land Rover Discovery Series II near Honolulu. See local deals