2002 Kia Sportage

6.3

Based on 307 Ratings for the 1995 - 2002 models.

7.0/10
    6.5/10
    7.0/10
    6.6/10
    6.9/10
    6.8/10

Good reliable, affordable car

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "affordable, great on gas"

Cons: "not 4-wheel drive, no ac (just a shell)"

"I have had this car for 12 years. I have over 210,000 miles on it. It gets about 30MPG. It is very reliable and affordable. However, I have had to replace the coil pack four (4) times since I have had it. This was due to a failed catalytic converter that is in the engine. I have also had to replace the carrier bearing two (2) times. With this being an older vehicle, the price of repair parts are expensive if you do have repairs that need to be made. This is why I do not rate it well on quality. As far as driving dynamics, this is a two wheel, rear wheel drive vehicle. I have to keep sandbags or something heavy in the back year round because it is so light. This is not a good family vehicle and it is not real comfortable on long trips for families. It is great for just driving to work and back. It is a great couple or single individual vehicle."

Most ergonomic with good view. Perfect for me.

By on Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, sturdy, efficient, good looking."

Cons: "old parts not great. relatively low quality built."

"Sportage (1996-2002) has a very ideal size, height, view from inside etc and makes it a very safe car to drive. It is also very pretty. The quality is not the best (designed 20 years ago by Ford and Kia jointly). However, in many ways, it is a milestone of SUV history. With new iridium spark plug, it is powerful and agile. Great car."

This car has been a very reliable ride

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "It's fun to drive.Like setting up high"

Cons: "Not very good gas mileage.interior 'cheap' quality"

"I bought this car in 2002, 15,000 miles. It has had its problems but everything was covered under warranty. I also had an extended warranty up to 100k. I drove this car daily to work 50 mile round trip. This car is now used for a backup vehicle for family members as I have a new car for work. My Sportage is 4 wheel drive and it was awesome in the snow. In the day, I would pull sleds in my pasture; snow halfway up the tire. The things that I did not like are the "cheap" interior. A person can not just take a damp cloth and clean up messes from the fabric. I am proud to say that my Sportage has never left me stranded. I did keep the maintenance up to date and I believe that is the Key.I believe I got my moneys worth from this car and I liked it better as than my four year old Mercury that I traded for the Sportage."

Best small suv I haved owned

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Got it free, very fun to drive"

Cons: "Yes I like the cup holders above the radio"

"I got this KIA used from my daughter and she got it from the first oner. She was driving it 120 miles 5 times a week It wasnt big enough to hall hay and other supplys so she gave it to me. I has over 140000 miles and does not use any oil. easy to get in and of for my wife who has had hip replacement. Just love it I might get me a new one soon. Thanks KIA"

Lots of problems

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "rides nice when running properly"

Cons: "constant problems and very expensive to repair"

"My 2001 Sportage was ok until it reached 60k miles; once that happened its just been one problem after another. Over the course of 6 years Ive put 4 O2 sensors in; both cat converters are bad, there's an oil leak coming from the valve cover, its just one thing after another. Ive always kept it well maintained yet it still nickel and dimes me to death. Actually thats not true since its very expensive to have this vehicle worked on. To do something as simple as a tune up turns into a labor intensive ordeal and is very expensive. This has taught me to always buy American."