2005 Kia Sorento

7.9

Based on 653 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

Best Bang for Buck!

By on Friday, December 6, 2013

Pros: "Great for the price, durable, good on gas"

Cons: "front lite bulbs short out constantly"

"Got mine in 2005 and had a few mechanical issue that werent necessarily manufacturer related. Only 1 was a warped drive train but that was replaced by warranty. I do have a problem with the front bulbs constantly needing replacement but considering I'm nearing 200K miles Ive been extremely pleased with mine and I'd recommend it to anyone. Be warned replacing the timing chain is a pain (done it twice). Have it replaced by a mechanic."

Best SUV bargain around

By on Saturday, May 2, 2009

"My Kia Sorrento EX has been an outstanding SUV. It's better than the Toyota 4-Runner and Highlander that I used to own. The 4WD works great on-road and off-road. Very comfortable seating position. The ride isn't quite as soft as the Highlander, but that's the trade-off for a true off-road 4WD SUV with better towing capability. More comfortable than other "real 4WD" SUVs under $40K. I was in a 360 degree spinout at highway speeds (my fault, not the vehicle) and the vehicle stayed upright and undamaged. The MPG is a little less than some of it's competitors, but the cost of the Sorrento is so much less (if bought below it's MSRP), that I'm still money ahead for many years until the "break-even" point. I've had the vehicle for several years and it has been flawless in construction and performance. Never had any mechanical problems. High quality interior materials...much better materials than it's American competitors. I bought my Sorrento because a friend traded in his Lexus RX330 for a Sorrento EX and he liked it more than his Lexus. These cars are an amazing bargain if you can find one used, because they resell quite a bit below the new MSRP. Overall, the best 4WD SUV I've tried under $40k. If I wanted to spend more than $40k, I'd probably go with a Lexus GX or LX."

Good until the miles rack up

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pros: "Great 4x4 for the snow, inexpensive"

Cons: "Electrical issues, high milage problems"

"I bought this car brand new from a local dealer and honestly it has been a good vehicle overall. When I bought it I really liked the style, the price was right, and it fit our needs as a family perfectly. In most ways, this has been the easiest car I have ever owned as far as out of pocket costs. Six years later, this car has 110K miles and it is starting to fall apart. I can't say I am really surprised, I sort of expected it. The good with this SUV; it's fairly roomy, it has very acceptable power and acceleration, it's easy to drive, and it's pretty comfortable. The 4WD works great in the snow, it handles the road well, and it drives pretty well. Honestly, this vehicle didn't cost me very much in the way of repairs until it hit almost 100K miles, although it seems to have a particular appetite for tires (about every 30K miles, regardless of brand, inflation, or rotation). Now that it's out of warranty almost everything is breaking. The dash lights don't work sometimes, the interior dome light died (not just a bulb), the suspension has various knocks and thumps, and the engine runs erratically. Sometimes it won't start, then it will start as if nothing's wrong. The gas gauge no longer works and I'm told the repair is about $500. This car has had weird electrical problems since day 1, rips through headlights every few months, and the lights for the heater controls have always been sketchy. The passenger seat had to be replaced (under warranty) because the airbag sensor went on the fritz. I've had to put a battery in it about every 30 months because it just seems to cook after that amount of time. The rear wheel lips are starting to rot through and it's rusting down low quickly, although you have to remember that this is a New England vehicle. The dealer has been working on it and they tell me that they just can't figure out what the "gremlins" are. Honestly, this vehicle didn't give me one minute of serious headache for almost 100K miles, but now everything is breaking all at the same time. It has been regularly maintained by the dealer since day 1, has had all the recommended services, so don't think for a minute that it is a typical neglected vehicle that just got gassed up and run. The reliability was stellar up until recently, so I would have to say that this is a great vehicle if you can find a low mileage one, but if you are looking at one that has higher mileage, plan on sinking some money in. But to be truthful, for the last 6 years it has been the best car I've ever owned up until the last few months. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy this SUV. But my experience tells me that when the warranty is up, the vehicle will start to break. Unfortunately, I was told by a few mechanics that this is a 100k mile "throwaway", and although I didn't want to believe it, it is turning out to be true."

Great vehicle

By on Saturday, October 11, 2008

"I worked in the car business over ten years and bought my Sorento used about 7 months before I moved North. As a wholesaler I'd driven a lot of cars, and these cars are great. If you don't want something big or too small and buzzy like 4 cyl. Rav's & CRV's you'll love the Sorento. Any dealer I've had service from has been great too. They want the US market and will make you happy. After over three years, I now have 63k on mine and have only had one minor unscheduled repair. If I lost it tomorrow I would buy another one. My wife drives a Lexus and I also have a Miata for pleasure if this helps as demographics info."

Drives like a breeze

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "PRICE, HEAVY DUTY, RELIABLE, GOOD ON MAINTENANCE"

Cons: "SOMETIMES PEOPLE MISTAKE THE DESIGN FOR A MODERN MINI VAN LOL"

"I bought this vehicle used 3 years ago, and it has been excellent on wear and tear. I have not had any major car repairs yet in the first three years of me having it which was a shocker to me. I was nervous because I had no warranty, but the car's durability helped relieve some of that stress."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Sorento near Honolulu. See local deals