2011 Kia Rio

8.1

Based on 199 Ratings for the 2006 - 2011 models.

Great Value, Great Car, 150,000 miles!!

By on Sunday, March 22, 2009

"We own a 2006 Rio5 SX with an automatic. This car has been used as a company car since day one. It only 26 months old but it has over 150,000 miles on it. We have had zero problems. We have kept up on all the maintenance and replaced the timing belts on time. But for having over 150,000 miles it still looks and runs like a brand new car. We plan to run this car for at least another 50,000 miles then buy another one."

Great Commuter Car

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "price, mileage, looks"

Cons: "size"

"For the price and quality compared with other vehicles from the same year and size, this car is dependable, sporty, roomy (based on size), refined and very easy to drive. If I had more than a 40 mile, one hour commute one way then I would recommend a larger car (I am 6'3")."

i have had this 2006 rio for 6 years, very happy

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "cheap, dependable, quiet for a cheap compact"

Cons: "engine high rpms with 5 speed"

"purchased this used with 25k miles. it now has over 100k. i have the le model w/5speed and air. thats about all the options it has. it runs great, gets good mpg 28-33. i have had a few minor issues but nothing i wouldn't expect. at 90k front end was eating tires quickly, needed new ball joints to fix problem. (easiest ball joints i ever replaced on a car) starter went out at 95k (not so easy to get to). thats about all the work its needed besides brake pads. still runs great, not a rattle bucket, drives pretty quiet and smooth for the kind of car it is. i have been very happy with this car. one negitive is the engine high rpms on the hwy with the 5 speed. i put on a little taller tires and it helped."

kia rio5 sx

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "great value , trunk space (hatch) aux input, gas"

Cons: "cheaper interior"

"I've been driving my rio5 for the last 3 1/2 yrs. The first 3 months it needed the engine replaced. It was using too much oil between changes and creating knocking. That was fixed with warranty. Since its been driving great. Great trunk space. I fit a 50 in LCD tv in the box in it.(i had to drive with the seat all the way forward) small interior, one arm rest on driver seat. Passenger tendy to use it as well. great price, near hybrid gas mileage."

The little family car

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Warranty, smooth motor steering, styling, brakes"

Cons: "Interior plastic, auto trans, handling"

"I purchased my LX sedan this summer. It's a step up from their base model, but has no power accessories or cruise control. I have always thought this generation of the Rio was a handsome car with a European flavour to its styling. From its rounded roofline to more angular body, it seems to voice a cheery hello when approached, yet is not so silly-looking as to be dismissed as another "beer can on wheels". Inside, things are slightly more grim. Attractively styled, the materials are on the cheaper side, even on the door handle, a frequent touch point. Said plastics are also easily scratched. Fit, however, is pretty good, with no excessive or uneven gaps. There are also thus far no squeaks, rattles, or other indications of loosening trim. Gauges are concise, aesthetically pleasing, and easy to read, but Kia omitted even an engine temperature light, so it's more than a bit lacking in this department. One oddity is that the gauge cluster seems to be mounted at an angle vs. the steering wheel and column, so that it looks crooked and poorly assembled, even though from what I can tell this is exactly how it is designed to fit. One bonus is the separete indicator light to check a loose fuel cap - a nice touch compared to illuminating the check engine light for this common occurrence. Moreover, the few controls present in this car are laid out for easy use, and the switchgear works with convincing quality. The standard satellite radio is also a great feature. Seats are average though slightly lacking in support for drives over an hour, but are upholstered in a comely fabric mimicked on the thin-but-concise door panels. Visibility is excellent all around. Roomwise, it is adequate, no more and no less. The trunk is large for its class and is well laid-out to make maximum use of its volume, plus split-folding seats - not always present in this class of car - add yet more versatility. All that is well and good, but how does it drive? This is another mixed bag. It rides firmly, bordering on downright stiff, and a full load of passengers and luggage does little to alleviate this. Handling should therefore be superb, and while it exhibits a measure of exuberance in normal maneuvers, the tail gets unsettled in bumpy corners or when applying mid-corner braking. Panic stops are dead straight with good ABS feedback and no drama whatsoever. The steering is nicely weighted and has a seductively smooth action to it. It also exhibits high-speed and crosswind stability which belies its low curb weight and tallish profile. Kia's 1.6l twin cam four with variable valve timing is one of the smoother fours I have driven, and is a willing partner with the manual transmission. It also has a pleasingly businesslike sound from inside the cabin not unlike that of some VW's, contrasted with the more whiny tone of many four-cylinder cars. Pair this motor with Kia's 4-speed autmoatic, however, and there's a lot to be desired. It saps the life out of the little engine, and the car becomes downright pokey. It feels as though it crashes into second gear, but other shifts are smooth. The gear ratios are pleasingly tallish and suitable for the car. Also much to my liking, it is relatively easy to keep the torque converter locked up for maximum fuel economy. Speaking of fuel economy, though my motor is not yet fully broken in, it has been disappointing, averaging in the high 20's and stuck in the low 30's in interstate driving even when keeping the speed down to 60mph - for comparison, this is down about 5-10mpg from my former subcompact. One note: there have been no mechanical problems, but just shy of 7000 miles, one of the taillight assemblies apparently had a compromised seal and allowed condensation to form inside the lens. The service manager at my local dealer is a very pleasant individual and has replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. Kia's warranty is one of the best (read: longest) in the business, and adds significantly to the car's value quotient. Being the last year of the bodystyle, most of the major bugs should have been ironed out by now as well. Overall, though it has its quirks, one has to remember this is on the bottom rung of the automotive ladder, and viewed as such, it delivers good value and a satisfying day-to-day competence. There may be more enticing vehicles out there, but buyers' remorse will not be a side effect of purchasing this vehicle."

Big Guy, Little Car

By on Thursday, January 14, 2010

"I have owned my 2007 Rio for a year now. I commute 60 miles each way to work, 5 days a week. I am 6 feet tall and weigh over 300 lbs. I find this car comfortable, and it gets great gas mileage. (usually 33 mph) It will never win a race, but handles 80 mph quite well."

Not worth it

By on Friday, February 20, 2009

"I have had nothing but problems with this car. I have been back and forth with Kia on my starting issues and get told they cannot find anything wrong with it Now its out of warranty now they find the issue and will not cover it"

I will never buy anything but KIA

By on Friday, January 30, 2009

"I got my KIA in 2006. It is the best vehicle I have ever driven. It's always been reliable transportation, and I haven't had one minute of worry about it. I will continue to drive KIA's."

Great price, great car.

By on Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Pros: "Value. Durability. Styling."

Cons: "Paint finish scratches easily."

"I bought this car brand new in 2010 and have had zero problems. The mileage is actually getting better as it ages. I'm 6'2" and the drivers seat is extremely comfortable. For the money it is one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned."

decent

By on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pros: "great gas mileage, fun to drive."

Cons: "high winds on interstate blow car around a bit."

"i like this car. it gets you where you need to go for cheap. great gas mileage. i once got 57 mpg going between 75 and 85(it was hilly ha). i've noticed accelerating around 50pmh the car really slows down but after 55 it speeds back up. only problems i've had was the horn went out twice and the seat air bag went out and the front passenger door lock actuator went out recently. great for weaving in and out of traffic due to its small size. nice suspension/handling. cant wait to see how many miles i can put on it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Kia Rio near Honolulu. See local deals