2002 Jeep Wrangler

Based on 1248 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

It IS a Jeep Thing

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I’ve owned Jeep vehicles for over 15 years and now the vehicle I drive every day is a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I bought this vehicle new in May ’05 and except for scheduled maintenance, it hasn’t been in the shop once. The feeling of knowing that you can go anywhere – anytime I think is what the “Jeep” is all about. My Jeep came with both the hard top and soft top. I took the hard top off shortly after getting the vehicle and it hasn’t been back on since. The soft top does not generate nearly as much noise as the older Wranglers and CJs (if it did the hard top would go back on). The ride of the Wrangler is a bit stiff, but then again it is a TRUE off-road vehicle. If you want more of a softer ride, you may want to consider a Liberty, Grand Cherokee, or Commander. I’ve owned two “Grands” and my wife currently drives an ’06 Commander. For me, I want to know that if I get off on some gnarly trail, that I’m going to get back out. It’s a Jeep thing..."

Great!

By on Saturday, July 7, 2007

"Jeep, is a JEEP! This is the third one I have owned. Never had a problem, just keep in mind - it's like a sports car... fun to drive great for just two people or just you. But there isn't space for storage or just "stuff". Just tell yourself.. it's a sports car @ a different level of height. It's my other car. But I love it!"

Terrific Value

By on Monday, August 8, 2016

"Low mileage and will last for many years! I have the hard top, rag top and bikini top for this vehicle. It has extra wide fenders to make room for the oversize wide tires. Clean inside and out! A very reliable vehicle and fun to drive. Never been in an accident and runs great. Bought it to get up my very steep driveway in the winter months and it hasn't failed me. I would never, ever get rid of my Wrangler but a future wedding has put me in a pinch."

I love this car but..

By on Wednesday, December 4, 2013

"I absolutely love this car but it does come with a couple of problems. The main one being gas milage. On a good day you might be able to get 18 mpg highway out of it but if you have deep pockets it's not much of an issue. Another thing is that going highway speeds on a SE model is a chore for the car. If you're going up a hill on a highway you might as have blinkers on because you will be going at least 10mph lower then all the other cars. Of course you could shift the gear down but then there goes your mpg's. Although it does have its flaws I absolutely love this car. Crawling up steep hills in the mountain is something Wranglers have pretty close to perfected. Summer time is where this Jeep really outshines all other cars. There's nothing like taking some friends out on a summer night cruising with the top down and watching other people look at you with envy."

Very fun to drive

By on Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive , the family loves it."

Cons: "Fuel mileage is low due to low gear ratio."

"This is my first jeep and I love it. Fun to drive and easy to get around in tight places. I have a soft top on mine and love to remove it and go ride the country roads. Took it to the Smokey Mt state park and had a blast. I will buy a new jeep wrangler for my next new car."

Love my Jeep

By on Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pros: "Love it every time I fire it up"

Cons: "Don't sweat the small stuff ."

"Raised it from a pup. You couldn't have any vehicle be more fun. Not a highway cruiser and not real fuel efficient but never a problem in 10 years. Original battery and top. Change the fluids, check the belts and it's ready to rock. A basic vehicle for doing basic things. A classic look. This baby will be in my will to the next generation of family funsters."

Noisy, choppy, rough, love it!

By on Friday, January 6, 2012

Pros: "Almost the most fun you can have on four wheels."

Cons: "Noisy, choppy ride, no convenience features at all"

"If you want a quiet, smooth, slick handling, cushy vehicle, or great mileage, forget this one. But if you want something that is loads of fun, bounces you around, is rough and tumble but when you stop you have a stupid grin on your face, this is it!"

Best vehicle ever made

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Runs forever, holds its value, fun to drive"

Cons: "gas mileage, soft top noise while driving"

Big Bear, CA

"I bought a 03 Honda Civic as my first car, great gas, but the transmission blew at 109k miles. Got it fixed and sold it for a Jeep Wrangler, I got it with 106k, I put new brake pads, rotors, soft top and tires. The thing was in BRAND NEW condition after that. I change the oil, put gas in it and it runs like a dream. Never had an mechanical problems. Had a couple fuses pop, but other than that its never had any problems. Still on original transmission and now I have 134k miles on it. Power is good if you keep it stock. Aerodynamics isn't great, which explains the gas mileage. I have a 15 gallon tank and get about 260-270 miles per tank (18 MPG highway). About the same as any gas guzzling 2WD truck that gets stuck in everything. I have taken it off road in Big Bear CA, this thing can go over stuff you wouldn't think it would, even if it has the stock "limited slip differential". Common problems with this 99 Jeep Wrangler, Climate control switches on dash will melt behind knobs if life on highest blow setting for everyday use (to avoid this, use settings 1-3). Climate control knobs break if twisted too fast. n"

Big Bear, CA

Pride of ownership

By on Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pros: "fun--especially w the top off in the summer"

Cons: "Grandma thinks the ride is too jerky"

"I traded in a corvette in 1999 for this b/c I couldn't have fun, without worry, on my dirt rd. Now, I have fun, even when I'm driving to work. I don't plan on selling it--when we can no longer take the hard top off to put on the soft-top, we'll give it to our grandkids (who aren't even born yet!)-"

Best off-road vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, better gas mileage than trucks"

Cons: "not for road trips, not a lot of seating"

"I drove this thing everywhere during every condition. From blizzard to floods etc. Never got stuck, broke down, or stuck on the side of the road. Wish I could keep it forever but just not plausible as my family is growing out of the space."