1998 Jeep Wrangler

Based on 1250 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

By on Friday, May 23, 2008

"Only vehicle I ever want to own! I am very happy with the 4 banger vs. the six. My Jeep gets 21 MPG (w/31" BFG Mud-terrain tires) in the city while a friend's Rubicon gets 15. Excellent off-road!!!"

Great Jeep!!

By on Monday, January 7, 2008

"I have owned this Jeep for three years and it has performed flawlessly. Auto, 4.0 Liter, hardtop, A/C, I have 126K on it now .It gets 17-18 mpg in the city. I have had the 4cyl and 6cyl version and the six is the way to go. It holds an awesome resale vavle as well."

best vehicle ever

By on Monday, October 29, 2007

"its just the best vehicle ever!!!! What else is there to say about it? It gets me where I want to go without problem. Its a great rig and I wouldn't trade it for the world."

The One for ME!

By on Monday, October 8, 2007

"I will never own another vehicle! My jeep is amazing! This is the last year for the TJ's, and if you are looking to buy a newer jeep wrangler, stick with a TJ. The turning radius is rivaled by nothing I can think of, the heating system is unbelievable (hardtops are unnecessary,) and it will take you anywhere you want to go. Most vehicles become just that with time, vehicles. But every day I get in my jeep, its more than just a vehicle, its something special and it invokes awe within me! The newer jeeps (JK's) have changed way too much...for the bad. The engine is a V-6, they don't even have the heart of a true jeep!"

Jeeps Rock!

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2007

"After a history of owning German and Japanese cars I decided it was time to re-visit a childhood (and later) dream of owning a Jeep. I had been pricing convertibles and once I test drove them all up to the $40K range, I decided the Jeep was for me, not only for the "top-down" feature but also for the off-road and "fun quotient"! A soft-top, it's horribly noisy on the highway and now that I don't have car payments anymore I don't mind too much its 15mph in-town. Part of that mileage may be because I drive it like a sports car -- that's just the way I am! And with no passengers and little weight of its own, this thing has some good pickup. Do just one Jeep Jamboree or go off-road and you, too, will be hooked if you have an adventurious spirit. And because it's easy to hose down, it's a perfect dog car (of course, if you have a lift kit like I do, you may need to give them a boost or provide them a ramp!). Additionally, if you ever have a fender bender and need new body parts, it's VERY inexpensive to replace or customize. I could go on forever but it must all boil down to this: "It's a Jeep Thing...You Might Not Understand!"

Great beach Car

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pros: "Fun car to drive."

Cons: "Pain letting people out of back seat."

"Had this car from new. Second car and children drove through college."

A Jeep Lovers Dream

By on Sunday, January 5, 2014

Pros: "Great resale value, fun to drive, easy to upgrade"

Cons: "Loud, Cramped Space, Not a smooth ride"

"This is my second Jeep Wrangler Sport: I have found these jeep engines to be very reliable. Not big mechanical repairs, just regular maintenance. Performs amazing off-road. Basic interior but perfect for off-roading. If you want a comfortable car for long drives with your wife and kids or own a 150 lb dog this is an awful vehicle to own as its loud and has limited space. Also high winds, this vehicle is top heavy. Its loud, its bumpy. Regardless of the negatives its a fun, reliable, awesome car that will take you anywhere and you want to keep forever or re-sell (great resale value) this is the perfect vehicle. A jeep community is its own community. Very easy to upgrade jeep, add awesome features... The skys the limit. Enjoy your jeep."

The 4.0L Engine is unstoppable, my 4th Jeep!

By on Friday, August 2, 2013

Pros: "Fun Car"

Cons: "Bouncy"

Garaged!

"I've had CJ5's and CJ7's but nothing compares, it's a blast to drive."

Garaged!

Jeep Tough

By on Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pros: "Tough, reliable, off-roading is a blast"

Cons: "No way... best vehicle ever!"

Loving the Jeep

"I have a 2005 Wrangler X with half doors and a soft top. This is the best vehicle ever.... I have owned, and subsequently destroyed/totaled about 8 other vehicles it was not until I bought my Jeep that I finally have a vehicle that is tough enough for my driving. On road, off road, it does not matter to the jeep. It is the perfect vehicle, I use it every day as a commute vehicle and use it as a toy for off-roading trips. I have had a few issues with the wobble after the lift but it is a good toy to fix up and it is fun. If you need storage take out the back seat they have a storage trunk insert, or a roof rack, if you are worried about the handling... well it's a jeep. Worried about the gas mileage... don't jack it up and it's a jeep. LOVE IT!!!!!!"

Loving the Jeep

love it!!

By on Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pros: "4x4 king!"

Cons: "a little cold sometimes"

"wrangler, best rigs i have ever owned"

easy to drive and control

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Handling is superb."

Cons: "Need Lighted mirrors on both sides"

"My Jeep Wrangler is fun to drive, dependable, easy to park, get in and out of, easy to load and unload. This Jeep has been good to me, and I have owned 5."

Great Vehicle!

By on Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, Looks great, Performs great"

Cons: "Not the best commuting vehicle"

"The Jeep Wrangler is the best vehicle out there. It is amazing in Minnesota Winters! Snow is no match for the Legendary 4WD! When off road, the Jeep really excels. It feels at home on dirt roads and on roads that any other vehicle has no business being on. However, Jeep Wrangler's are not the best vehicle if you plan on doing a lot of commuting. On the highway it can be noisy with the wind, after all it is like driving a piece of plywood down the road. Overall, the Wrangler is an excellent and fun vehicle to own and drive"

If you always wanted a jeep then you will love it.

By on Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pros: "Go anywhere, top off in summer, fun to drive"

Cons: "horrible gas mileage"

"Jeeps have come a long way in the comfort and ride quality departments, however have suffered in overall brute toughness as compared to the jeeps of yesteryear. In my opinion this jeep is a good compromise between offroad worth and comfortable ride and pleasurable driving experience. Many other reviews seem to complain about things like lack of interior refinement, minor road noise, and less than impressive handling and performance. Why were these people even considering a jeep with those requirements in mind? I love everything about it except for the poor fuel mileage, which I knew would not be good. Wish the deisel wrangler was available. That would ice the cake."

Love my Jeep

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Easy to drive; easy to carry everything you need."

Cons: "Poor MPG"

"This is a good solid vehicle that goes anywhere, every time you ask it. The gas milage is the one factor that I can't appreciate at 15 MPG, however I did not buy a Wrangler for the MPG."

It's a Jeep thing!!! :)

By on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pros: "Hold their value, peppy, fun to drive!"

Cons: "ummm...can't think of one."

My Jeep in the snow~

"I own a 2003 Jeep Wrangler x ~ I love this Jeep! I have owned Sports cars and bigger 4 wheel drives, but the Jeep Wrangler takes the cake! I drive it in the snow in the winter (just pop it into 4 wheel drive high), and have never been stuck. In the summer I take the top off and we take long drives in the mountains on pavement and off, this jeep is loads of fun and turns on a dime, very cool! You don't drive a jeep? You should!!! I love my Jeep~"

My Jeep in the snow~

You will love it, flaws and all...

By on Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"I have owned my Jeep Wrangler 2006 Golden Eagle for the past 5 years. It is a great great car, and I love it DESPITE all its flaws. Obviously the Jeep Wrangler is not for everyone. If you have kids, for example, it's probably not the best family car. But, if your commute is not too long, and you rarely have more than 1 passenger, I would really recommend getting a Wrangler if you'd been wanting one. I had a lot of reservation before driving off the dealer's lot with mine, but as the years have passed I look back and really am glad I got a Wrangler instead of some "safer" choices. Man, I'd regretted it so much if I'd picked a Camry or an Accord back then. Without further ado, here are the pros and cons. PRO: 1. Awesome style. It is the pound-for-pound best value in term of style for the bucks. My car is 5 years old and people still fawn over it wherever I go. There are not too many cars (except maybe Ferrari or Maserati) that get people excited like the Jeep. I drove into the Audi dealership yesterday to pick up my wife's A4, and all the Audi guys were in love with El Jeepo. They said they had "jeep envy". Yeah, it comes with LOAD of style. 2. Like a ROCK: It is a steel cage. I am never afraid of getting hit because I feel safe. Anyway, the Jeep is so slow that I would never get into an accident anyway. 3. Modifications: Tons of them. 4. Cost of ownership: After 5 years, I have spent less than $1000 total on maintenance. 5. Top down in the summer. Go anywhere in the winter. CONS: 1. Ride is bumpy!!! Do not buy this if you are driving a lot of highway. Seriously! It is not meant for highway driving. 2. Not comfortable. Like, at all. 3. Cheap feel. It does not feel like it's refine. Lots of plastic parts. The rest are steel. 4. Not the most reliable. I know a lot of people would disagree. I think the engine may be very reliable. But there are a lot of cheap GM plastic parts outside the engine. They break. The good news is they are cheap and easy to replace. So yeah.... if you can afford it, it is a great toy/3rd car. Otherwise, get it if you commute is short. And DEFINITE GET IT IF YOU HAVE BEEN WANTING ONE. You will not regret it."

One of the best

By on Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"We have had our Jeep since we bought it new 10 years ago. We love it. It's perfect for us. We definitely recommend it. If you're looking for a quiet, comfortable ride, look elsewhere. We didn't buy it for that."

Great vehicle for fun

By on Saturday, July 10, 2010

"The 1998 Jeep Wrangler is the second Wrangler I have owned. I purchased my Jeep from the original owner in 2002 with 32000 miles. Today, I have 72000 miles and drive it every day to work. It was the only vehicle on the road right after the big snows this past winter and ate them up. It works fine on the highway at up to 70mph. I used it off-road and on during my 7 years of ownership and was never disappointed. I never had any mechanical problems during this time."

Check for technician service bulletins on model

By on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Waited 30 years to purchase my first one; a 2005 Wrangler X with 35.000 miles. Have had very few service issues until now; just starting the "jeep death wobble" service issues. Found out there have been consistent problems with the steering linkage and trac bar that cause steering failure. There was a tsb report our on this issue, but did not hear about it till after purchase. Most owners who have experienced the death wobble feel there should be a recall, but it has been attributed to a design flaw, and so far manufacturer and dealers will not cover repairs. Taking mine back in for vibrations again (2 days later and $500 poorer) and wondering if the vehiclej is safe at speeds over 45 mph. Love my Jeep, but very disappointed with manufacturer response to what I believe is a serious issue."

great love it

By on Sunday, December 20, 2009

"love the wrangler i have 2 grand cherokees also one has 270,000 on it the other 155,000 wrangler 96.000 the inline 6 is a great engine the wrangler could use an over drive auto like the grands"

Let the Fun Begin!

By on Wednesday, December 9, 2009

"This wrangler is my dream vehicle: stylish without being stuffy, down and dirty without being cheap or tacky, comfortable and fun to drive! Not for the faint of heart, if you're looking to go bushwackin' in a vehicle with a lot of muscle you HAVE to have a Wrangler!!"

2006 Jeep Rubicon

By on Monday, November 2, 2009

"I've got a MBZ ML and a Suburban that I used to take on long trips. The Jeep is so much fun and so much more comfortable to travel in that my wife and I usually take it on our road trips. It doesn't have the power and isn't as quiet as my other vehicles, but I can drive it for hours without any back aches. It also get 20 mpg. Offroad... it can't be beat. You wouldn't believe the trails it's been on."

air conditioner issues

By on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"bought 2005 new in FL before moving back to VT. Was cheaper in FL to buy it there!! I drove it to vermont x 3. what fun trips!!. now being in vt 3 years..drive to work 5 miles a day. the best jeep ever going up/down the mountain road home and weekends to my camp!! only problem..air cond. has never worked. repaired many times! other wise ..i love my orange pumkin!"

I love my Jeep! Would never sell it!

By on Monday, August 17, 2009

"I bought my 1997 Jeep Wrangler SE back in 2005 when I was a grad student in Carnegie Mellon. I had to take out a 10,000 USD loan from the university's credit union. I used it to visit my gf in Philadelphia (about 500km from Pittsburgh) and must have driven that route about 40 times in the years I was there. I also used my car for hanging out with friends. Everybody wanted to ride with me! The car is just so cool and awesome. I put some big tires (Superswampers) and the look was just amazing. Now I have a very well paid job (I also married my gf) and will continue holding on to my Jeep even though I could get a very good deal selling it. I just love it too much! I will have it until I can pass it on to my daughter (she is 1 year old). Anyway, I just wanted to express how much I love my car."

so-so

By on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"Much rougher ride than I expected ( I know it's a Jeep). Very loud road noise with soft top. Had to replace leaking gasket at 20, 000 and recently U-Joint - 36, 000 miles. Lucky I had extended warranty as factory warranty did not cover either. Gas mileage sucks, even with 6-speed. My Jeep looks sharp with Chrome bumpers and is fun to drive but, it has been a little dissapointing"