2009 Jeep Liberty

8.1

Based on 278 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

Excellent 4WD , good value overall... it's a Jeep!

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "It's a Jeep!! A good value with a long time name."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage especially about town is all."

"Very good value for money spent excellent (real!) 4WD, off road seems superior to others in class and a perfect size. Engine runs purrfect but not good gas mileage by todays stasndards. This is my wifes Jeep and she loves it! Plenty of room for her 3 dogs and despite the fuel cost it really does the job for her, she loves it. Of course with us if it says "Jeep" it rules anyway and it's tough!! It's a shame Jeep has decided to drop it...I think it'll be back... let's watch."

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Off Road Capability, quality, multiple use vehicle"

Cons: "Needs Pentastar or TDI, more 4x4 aftermarket."

The Liberty proves more capable than the critics assessed. At ORV park with factory tires.

"My wife and I purchased a 2011 Liberty earlier this year. I want to get another Wrangler, but with 2 kids, only the 4 door was an option and those run $32,000. We opted for a Sport 4x4 Liberty instead for around $24,000. The engine is not bad, but the new Pentastar 3.6L would be a better choice. I think that the engine works better offroad than on. The live rear axle has a good amount of flex for a family SUV. It drives like a small SUV on the road, but is not jumpy. The interior is good quality, and I am impressed with Chryslers improvements during the past 5 years on build quality. I personally think that this rig shines offroad. I took her to an ORV park a week after I picked her up. A friend of mine is a serious Jeeper who has a modified 01 Cherokee. He skoffed at the idea of me being able to remotely keep up with him. His impression was that my Liberty was 'too low' and 'too boxy' to do any serious offroading. with zero modifications to my rig, except lowering the tire pressure to 20 psi, I crawled, pulled, and shimmied up every hill, down every slope, and around every bend that he attempted. I even parked her in the middle of a mud bog to demonstrate the responsiveness of the CommandTrac system. He was impressed enough to try driving it himself, and really enjoyed it (not enough to upgrade of course, as his Jeep has the legendary 4.0L inline 6). The base model (like mine) came chock full of 4x4 features. Hill Climb Assist, Hill Descent Control (which is AWESOME when your coming down a scary rock face), 3 way 2WD/4WD and stability control shut-off. The only option that I got on mine was the tow package, so I could utilize the full 5,000 lb capacity of the vehicle. Mileage has been pretty accurate, with a worst of 12 MPG (4x4ing) and a best of 25mpg (55 mile an hour on the freeway). If your someone who wants an SUV to be as utilitarian as possible, haul 5 people and a bunch of cargo, tow a decent load, give acceptable gas mileage, and then be able to go and explore the untamed regions of our great country, then the Liberty is something to look into. If I had a million dollars, I would have a sports car for the city, a big diesel pickup for towing, and a ridiculously modified Jeep Wrangler for Offroading. But since I dont, I found the best compromise of all 3 things, a Jeep Liberty Sport. P.S. On the outside shot that someone from Chrysler is reading this. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put the Mercedes Benz 3.0L Turbo Diesel in a Liberty like you did on the Grand Cherokee!!! There is a large group of people out there like myself who would trade in their current Jeep in an instant to get a TDI Jeep. I still cant understand why the American Automotive Industry refuses to offer a midsize turbo diesel 4x4!"

Excellent Value

By on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Pros: "American Made and Tough"

Cons: "Probably the last year of this body style"

"I own a 2012 Liberty Limited Jet and it is an incredibly capable vehicle especially when purchased with the optional Selec Trac II transfer case which has the 2WD, 4WD Auto and 4WD Low Lock selections. The 4WD Auto essentially turns the Liberty into an AWD system as you can use in all driving conditions even dry pavement which you can't do with Command Trac II. The Selec Trac II transfer case is great for varying driving conditions and for $445.00 on the sticker this is a cheap option that greatly expands the functionality of the Liberty. Unfortunately this option is rarely ordered by most dealerships as my research has shown that most of the sales staffs that I have spoken to about Selec Trac II do not really know what it is...in fact it is downright humorous to hear some of them try to explain it! The small percentage that do confess that they don't order it to keep sticker prices down, instead, opting for options that sound sexier on the sticker. The rest of the amenities such as leather seating, heated seats, nav system, sunroof, Infinity speaker system make the Liberty a pleasure to drive. Coupled with the great suspension, handling and more than adequate power you have a very comfortable and capable real SUV. Oh yeah, it can tow up to 5000 lbs. You can tow many of the competitors car based utes with it but they can't tow you! On the value side, my Liberty Jet had a sticker price of $33,575.00 and I paid $25,000.00 This made the choice of the Liberty a no-brainer. All this being said I am glad I bought the Liberty this year as I suspect that when they redesign the Liberty we will have another "egg on wheels” bobbling down the road. Hope you find this helpful."

Well Worth It

By on Monday, October 22, 2007

"The look alone sets the precedence of the Liberty. I was so taken aback by the new style of it. I have never been so pleased with a purchase of a vehicle before. It runs great, offers so much, it's reliable, and very spacious on the inside. It offers everything you'd expect from the Jeep name and so much more. Truly a great vehicle."

Very practical vehicle.

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

"Rear-wheel drive was important to us plus being up off the road for better visibility. No more front wheel drive vehicles for us. This is our forth new jeep in a row. All of them have been trouble free and very dependable for my wife and for me so we bought Jeep again. The 4X4 drive system is a requirement where we live in Vermont and it is very capable all season vehicle. It has a comfortable ride with great handling characteristics making it a pleasure to go anywhere regardless of weather conditions."

Jeeps for life

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "reliable, great performance, love the high center"

Cons: "interior"

"The Jeep Liberty is the first car I have ever owned and let me tell you I am hooked on Jeeps. GET THIS CAR"

Love my 2012 Liberty!!

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Comfort, off road capability and towing"

"I love this truck. It has everything I want. I have the Latitude edition with the optional 4wd auto, heated leather seats, parking sensors, bluetooth, 1 year sat. radio, and much more. It's super comfortable and I got a great deal. The sticker price was 30k and I got it for 23k. I like the good visability in this vehicle and it handles great. I've already gone down some trails and it has performed well off road. I average about 24mpg highway."

Buy one

By on Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pros: "Great price and it delivered more than I expected"

Cons: "Everybody in my family likes it toooo much"

"This is the best vehicle on the market today, you get your biggest bang for your buck. MPG is very good, durability seems to be there, it is comfortable to drive, interior and exterior is very stylish. I was in the market for another vehicle for about a year and test drove just about everything out there the Liberty was head and shoulders above the competition. Mine is the Sport 4x4,it is everthing you will want and need in a mid size SUV.Buy one and you won't be sorry. By the way the MPG is better than they advertise I'm getting 20-25."

Fun to drive!

By on Thursday, May 5, 2011

"I was ready to finally get out suv's and sport cars, until I sat in a new Jeep Liberty for a test drive. I thought I would try everything I liked the look of before I made a choice on a smaller car. I am so happy I decided to try it out. So smooth, fun to drive, powerful, and American! I love the Jeep. The pick-up is a little sluggish, but once you get going you are ahead of the game. And the way it drives totally makes up for any faults. I feel SAFE in this SUV and driving on southern California roads, you can't put a price on how safe you feel. This Jeep is not too big and not too small! Just perfect!"

real deai old school SUV 4x4

By on Friday, October 28, 2016

Pros: "real deal 4x4 suv truck, good urganomics,"

Cons: "mpg"

"very under rated SUV ! considering we are talking about a real old school SUV ! its a shame this type of truck is getting harder to find anymore ! its over 4200 lbs. and will tow 5000 lbs. can be loaded up with well over 1000 lbs. of stuff, carry 8 foot 2x4s( with the rear hatch closed ! )or open the back window and it can be loaded with 12 footers ! its the real deal 4 wheel drive system, not the light duty all wheel drive system ! still running on original tires and brakes !I have only had a minor problem with the transmission needing a computer upgrade and a front wheel bearing that's it so far in over 3.5 years and over 50,000 miles ! all and all a pretty good little truck !! I wish it was a little bigger and got a little bit better gas millage ! average 16 to 21 mpg."

Love my Jeep Liberty!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Spacious, reliable, nice design"

Cons: ""Popping" sound when turning hard"

"I purchased my 2010 Jeep Liberty in January of 2014. I traded in a car that had no working heat, with 160k miles, and cracked heads. So, when I bought my Jeep, needless to say, I was on cloud nine. 3 months & 4 ice storms later, I still love my Jeep just as much! The 4wd was amazing during the winter. We had a few harsh ice storms and the ole Jeep never thought twice about it. It is very spacious and wonderful to take on trips. My only complaint about the Jeep is that it tends to make a "popping" noise when I cut it hard to the left or right, like trying to get in a tight parking spot. But, there's a chance it could just be something minor with my vehicle. Gas mileage is not bad at all. I drive 15 miles one way to work each day and 35 miles one way to church twice a week and I fill up once a week, normally for right at $50 (at about $3.20 per gallon). So you do the math there. I have no complaints at all with my gas mileage, considering it is a 4wd SUV. It is just my husband & I, so we don't regularly have anyone in our backseat, but when we do have extra people with us, they find the backseat comfortable and spacious. Another important thing to remember is that Jeeps hold their value really well! Highly recommend the Jeep Liberty."

Good, dependable Jeep. No problems in 50000 miles

By on Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pros: "Great vehicle for all driving conditions."

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better"

"Have enjoyed this vehicle. Very easy and comfortable for highway driving and the Sky-slider top is great for warm weather -- especially when you are driving on secondary roads in scenic areas. Better than a convertible because you have much less wind. Off-road capabilities are good, especially once the original tires were replaced with a more aggressively-treaded tire. Have had no mechanical problems or recalls -- pretty unusual based on experience with other vehicles. The only downside is the gas mileage which runs around 15 mpg in local driving and 24 mpg on the highway."

Third Liberty - Still a Fan

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "4x4, appearance, comfort"

Cons: "heavy"

"This is the 3rd Liberty I've owned - 2012 4x4 Latitude with leather and 16k miles.- my son is still driving my 07 with 130k miles. Wasn't sure about the new body style when it first came out but now I'm a fan. It is larger inside and the seats with lumbar fit perfectly for my bad back - long trips no problem. It handles great in the snow and has decent acceleration on the highway. One thing I really notice is the weight - with a full tank it drives very "heavy". I am a life long Jeep fan and have really enjoyed the Liberty. Here's hoping for 100k+ in this one! I would highly recommend this Jeep especially if you live in snow country."

BEST VEHICLE EVER!

By on Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pros: "reliable, comfortable, great mileage for a suv"

Cons: "none!"

"I bought this car to replace my older one, and I absolutely love this car! It has everything I wanted and more! And not to mention the color selection Jeep has for the Liberties is amazing!"

Jet Edition!

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

"Love my Liberty Jet! Get complements wherever I go. Great ride. My fourth Jeep and will always have one. Great in the snow and ice. The only thing they I would like to see them do is put the new 3.6 engine with the new 8 speed transmission to improve the gas mileage. Current mileage is 15-16mpg in the city and 20-21 on the highway."

Every thing work's

By on Friday, September 24, 2010

"I have 1200 mile's on it and every thing works"

Love love love this car

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "Leather, smooth drive,low maintence, safety"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I bought this Jeep last summer as a transition from a small car to a good working vehicle. I chose the Jeep liberty because of its price vs. value. I feel like I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of my Jeep. Literally the only downfall is gas mileage. I get about 16 city/21 highway. Which still isn't bad, just not was I was used to owning a small car. The Bluetooth is a great feature, the leather goes through the wear of kids, dogs and daily driving of at least 50 miles. I have owned it for a year and it still looks and drives brand new. Considering most SUV's sell for 40 grand and up. This is a great car for the price."

Daily mileage awful

By on Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "bad day to day mileage"

"It's a shame that a US car shows 10mpg in day to day city driving. On the parkway it does a respectable 21mpg. I've used this to tow a medium sized, 4000lb RV trailer, and it did very well."

BEST For ME

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Traditional Jeep Like Traits - Very Nice Options,"

Cons: "A Little Pricey, need an basic off road package"

"This isn’t my first Liberty; however I did test other similar vehicles to compare and preferred the 2012 liberty. It’s a tougher platform and more savvy off road. Most SUVs at this level are usually for urban areas. Some of us need more of a real SUV and since they took our beloved Jeep XJ Cherokee away, this is a good stand in. I suggest you test drive other vehicles of course but definitely make time to check it out ."

By on Saturday, September 6, 2008

"I was looking for a smaller suv and the new Liberty was the only one I liked the appearance of. I have owned the vehicle only a few months but I love everything about it so far. Gas mileage isn't great but is not near as bad as I had expected. Great size, big enough to pack in everything you need, but not too big that its hard to drive or park. Overall great suv!!"

The absolute worst piece of junk I have ever owned

By on Sunday, October 6, 2013

Reason: poor quality

Pros: "when the 4 wheel drive works. its good"

Cons: "TOO MANY to List"

"Another Poor Quality, Over priced junk. I have never seen a vehicle plummet in value as fast as this. I think that in a few years Damler Chrysler will be writing checks to cover a host of problems from this vehicle. Worst gas milage, Plastic everything, 4 wheel drive breaks down and on top of all that they quit making them. That was the smartest thing that they could do. Worst mistake I ever made. I wouldn't purchase anything made by this company."

Solid, Dependable, Unstoppable Transportation

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Pros: "Great in snow and off-road; versatile; very depend"

"I have owned this vehicle for 4 years. I am very impressed. It is a rugged vehicle with enough comfort features to satisfy me. What I really like is the way it handles in snow. The Liberty is unstoppable. I have driven it through some bad storms without any hesitation. It has been most impressive. I do not do a lot of off-road exploring but I have never been disappointed in what it can do. I also appreciate the cargo space with the seats down. With the front passenger seat folded flat in the forward position I can easily haul 8 foot lengths without propping the hatch open. The ride is somewhat typical Jeep. A cross between Wrangler and Grand Cherokee I suppose. It is a little noisy but not bad. The ride is smooth and the handling is great. It is also very dependable and has required no major repairs beyond routine maintenance. Overall I am extremely pleased with my Liberty."

My dream car, but not my wife's.

By on Saturday, April 2, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, peppy,Interior is passenger friendly"

Cons: "To high for us. Hard to get into."

"Bought this Liberty in February 2016 after months of searching It was a one owner car and in pristine condition. It is still in pristine condition but my 5'2" wife has trouble getting in to the drivers seat. I have installed a trailer hitch, and chrome grill, door handles and rear view mirror covers. I am only selling it because we need a car for both of us, not just for me."

Form Follows Function

By on Monday, March 16, 2015

Pros: "You get exactly what you pay for!"

Cons: "You get exactly what you pay for!"

"Bought this car to keep me safe going over snowy mountain passes during winter in Oregon. Heavy vehicle! Makes me worry about what would happen to "the other guy," should an accident occur. Definitely NOT eco-friendly, as it usually gets around 14.1 MPG. An "eco" light appears when the rig is driving more economically, which means my foot is off the gas or I am at a maintained speed, even if going 75-80 mph! Ridiculous! Extremely comfortable interior, especially the heated leather seats! Great looking, although quite "chunky," yet a bumper sticker I once saw on a Jeep applies: "Aerodynamics are overrated!" Ha, ha!"

Can't wait to get rid of my 2011 Jeep Liberty

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

"Can't wait to get rid of my 2011 Jeep Liberty ! In the first year I had it in the shop 3 times, the second year another 3 times. Went to get into my Jeep after work (didn't even have it for a year) one day and it would not start. Had to have it towed to a dealer who told me it put itself into "antitheft" mode . Sometimes I have heat - sometimes I don't, I put the heat on and it blows air conditioning. Then if I make a stop and get back in, maybe it will blow heat. The windshield wipers come on whenever they want and shut off whenever they want. I do not touch the control, they do it all by themselves. I can literally watch the gas gauge go down. I do love the style and knew it wouldn't be so great on gas, but did not expect so much to be wrong with this Jeep. After buying a new car I do not expect to be sitting in a dealership all the time getting it fixed. Had it 2 years and would never recommend a Jeep to anyone (as much as I love the way they look)"