2009 Jeep Liberty

8.1

Based on 277 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

Not Reliable

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Pros: "Awesome in snow."

Cons: "Not reliable / very costly to own"

"I am the 2nd owner of a 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport. On the plus side, it's awesome in snow. I purchased it with about 104k on it and it looked like brand new. The problems started the week I got it. Every time I went to run a short errand, stop somewhere briefly, and then try to start it again, it would be either mostly dead, or completely dead. Returned it to the dealership where I got it, several times. They couldn't figure out the problem. They did replace the starter, but the problem continued. Unfortunately, it was such a random occurrence, that it was difficult to diagnose. After MY OWN research online, I deducted that it was the Transmission Range Sensor (over $500 to replace). That seemed to fix that issue. On occasion it feels as though the transmission slips, particularly when I accelerate to merge onto the freeway, etc... The airbag light started going off...replaced the Clock Spring. The rear diff has started leaking a bit, as well as the coolant. Now, the check engine light is randomly going off, as well as the seat belt warning light (even thought the seatbelt is secured). Keep in mind, these issues have all occurred in the past year, and mostly in the first 6 months of ownership. This is a piece of junk. I had an independent mechanic inspect the vehicle before I purchased it, and none of these issues was obvious. Living and playing in the mountains, where cellphone reception can be very sketchy, I don't have confidence that I can take it out and not get stuck in a very rural or dangerous situation. SAVE MORE MONEY AND BUY A USED TOYOTA!!!"

real deai old school SUV 4x4

By on Friday, October 28, 2016

Pros: "real deal 4x4 suv truck, good urganomics,"

Cons: "mpg"

"very under rated SUV ! considering we are talking about a real old school SUV ! its a shame this type of truck is getting harder to find anymore ! its over 4200 lbs. and will tow 5000 lbs. can be loaded up with well over 1000 lbs. of stuff, carry 8 foot 2x4s( with the rear hatch closed ! )or open the back window and it can be loaded with 12 footers ! its the real deal 4 wheel drive system, not the light duty all wheel drive system ! still running on original tires and brakes !I have only had a minor problem with the transmission needing a computer upgrade and a front wheel bearing that's it so far in over 3.5 years and over 50,000 miles ! all and all a pretty good little truck !! I wish it was a little bigger and got a little bit better gas millage ! average 16 to 21 mpg."

BEST For ME

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Traditional Jeep Like Traits - Very Nice Options,"

Cons: "A Little Pricey, need an basic off road package"

"This isn’t my first Liberty; however I did test other similar vehicles to compare and preferred the 2012 liberty. It’s a tougher platform and more savvy off road. Most SUVs at this level are usually for urban areas. Some of us need more of a real SUV and since they took our beloved Jeep XJ Cherokee away, this is a good stand in. I suggest you test drive other vehicles of course but definitely make time to check it out ."

Never know when it will put you down

By on Friday, October 7, 2016

Pros: "feature of loading CD's and not having to store"

Cons: "looks and rides good"

"replaced water pump at about 35000 miles. I'm an only driver. All services as scheduled. Gas cap light is on, replaced cap with dealer part. Check engine light WILL NOT go off. The plus side is that I learned you can check your own codes with this vehicle. But it's scary to ride around and not know what's going to go wrong next. simple malfunctions that should not be considered wear and tear are falling apart. driver side window works when it wants. Rear seat is too close to front seating. Just expected more from Jeep."

Solid, Dependable, Unstoppable Transportation

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Pros: "Great in snow and off-road; versatile; very depend"

"I have owned this vehicle for 4 years. I am very impressed. It is a rugged vehicle with enough comfort features to satisfy me. What I really like is the way it handles in snow. The Liberty is unstoppable. I have driven it through some bad storms without any hesitation. It has been most impressive. I do not do a lot of off-road exploring but I have never been disappointed in what it can do. I also appreciate the cargo space with the seats down. With the front passenger seat folded flat in the forward position I can easily haul 8 foot lengths without propping the hatch open. The ride is somewhat typical Jeep. A cross between Wrangler and Grand Cherokee I suppose. It is a little noisy but not bad. The ride is smooth and the handling is great. It is also very dependable and has required no major repairs beyond routine maintenance. Overall I am extremely pleased with my Liberty."