2005 Jeep Liberty

7.8

Based on 1321 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

I LOVE my Jeep!

By on Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, comfortable"

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better"

"This has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot of vehicles over the years. I bought it new, it had 4 miles on it, and I drove it approximately 80 miles a day, back and forth to work, highway miles, for 5 years. Never once did it not start right up and go. And in the snowstorms, I put it in 4 wheel drive and got where I was going every time! The only thing we've had to do is regular maintenance and new tires and brakes. Wonderful vehicle!!!"

Best car ever owned.

By on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pros: "Dependable, attractive, quick response, powerful, fun."

Cons: "Must contact dealer/Jeep USA re: getting the rear window motor replaced."

"This is my 4th Jeep and my 2nd Liberty Ltd. My current Jeep is an 06 2WD. I found that I never needed the 4WD drive version - as the 2WD low range is more than enough for hills, etc. I contacted the Jeep USA/and the local dealer..who was able to get my driver's side rear window motor replaced- at no cost to me. I had to replace the same on my 2002. I am now retired and want to sell this Jeep and buy another 2002-2003, as mileage is not a factor. I would recommend this car for anyone-looking for a dependable, attractive, fun vehicle."

GREAT WINTER VEHICLE

By on Monday, September 1, 2008

"Wife used the Liberty since new. Commuted 30 miles roundtrip through all kinds of weather. Never worried about her with this vehicle or any other Jeep we've owned."

Best Car I Have Ever Owned

By on Saturday, October 27, 2007

"Absolutely the best car I have ever owned. Just change the oil every 3,000 miles and no problems. I bought this car new and now have it and a 2007 model. Anyone who wants a dependable reasonably priced 4X4, this is your car! Gas mileage is very consistent: 20 City 22 Hwy. Best gas mileage: 22 city 24 Hwy. Worst gas mileage: 18 city 20 Hwy. Fun factor is a 10! Like I said - best car I have ever owned"

Excellent vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"I just paid off my Jeep Liberty LTD. I have had no major problems and I will keep it until it literally falls apart! The only small gripe I have is that the tires put on at the factory are total junk and I put on better ones that grip better in the winter. This is my third Jeep and I will always have one! Great vehicles!"

would do it again!

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"We've owned two Grand Cherokees, but when it came time to look for a new one - found that the Liberty gave all the things we wanted, with the true "tough-guy" look a Jeep should have, for about $10,000 less! One thing I would change - is the material the carpet is made from. whatever it is, it's not "fur-friendly". My dog goes everywhere with me, and he does shed, it is very hard to get the dog fur vacuumed out of the carpet."

excellent car in snow or town driving

By on Thursday, September 4, 2014

Pros: "convenient 4WD car for winter driving"

Cons: "passenger compartment crowded"

"I have been very pleased with this car and just want one with more passenger room and automatic drive. It's energetic, easy to park and maneuver, gets fairly good mileage, and has been very convenient in winter driving."

Very reliable

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "Safe, reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "Running boards rust out"

"My liberty almost has 140K miles on it & it is still running strong. I am starting to have small problems here & there that are cheap fixes, but that is expected when cars get older. This was my first vehicle when I was 15, & I am now turning 22 & I still love my jeep like the first day I bought it. I feel safe & secure at all times. They aren't making libertys anymore but if anyone can get their hands on a certified pre-owned liberty, I would suggest doing so!"

I love this vehicle!!! Best purchase I ever made!!

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Reasonably priced! Perfect size"

"This is my first 4 wheel drive vehicle! The best investment I have ever made!! Living in New England you need something like this!!"

I'll definately get another Liberty!

By on Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, plenty of room"

Cons: "Drinks gas, limited leg room in backseat"

"I have a 2004 Liberty that has been a dream for me since I purchased it 6 years ago. I have fixed minor"

Dependable and Economical

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pros: "Reliabilty, simplicity, and maneuverability."

Cons: "Fuel economy, transmission"

"I have owned my 2003 Liberty for 7 years now. The car has never had any mechanical issues and feels like it will run for another 100k miles. It is incredibly easy to drive and the mechanics and electrics are simple, so theres not a whole lot that can go wrong. Finally, the 4WD system allows this car to be driven in ANY terrain. Dependable, versatile, and as reliable as an old sofa, whats not to love?"

overall, a decent vehicle

By on Friday, October 14, 2011

"i've owned it for 5 years and haven't had to do many major repairs. other than the so/so gas mileage, it's been a pretty good ride. bought it with 88,000 miles and now have 177,000! little bit of rust but the motor's still goin strong! if the new body style wasn't so plain, i might consider getting a new one."

Very practical car

By on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pros: "Enjoy driving it, very practical yet not too large"

Cons: "gas mileage is iffy"

"This was the third car i ever owned and i actually inherited it from my sister. I have to say it's been very good to me and it is a pretty good looking car."

Solid SUV

By on Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"I purchased my 2004 Liberty Sport 4X4 new and it now has 65k miles on it, never had any major repairs. Although I wasn't thrilled with its "cute" look, I have found out that looks can be deceiving. I live in upstate ny with rather brutal winters and this little jeep can blow through anything the weather can dish out. It has excellent towing capacity, have pulled my 20' boat on it with no problems, plenty of power. Room is fairly adequate, gas mileage is okay. Overall a great value and very reliable vehicle."

Loves My Jeep

By on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"When I bought my Liberty I was torn between the Liberty and the Nitro. I ended up chosing the Liberty because of the look of the vehicle and the feeling of height I got while sitting behind the wheel. What I love most about it is that visibility is awesome. My leather seats are comfy for long rides and the beast starts reliably when the mercury dips below -40. I replaced the factory tires with better ones and I have never had a problem with traction on ice or in the mud. Lots of power for passing, lots of room in the back for my goalie bag. I loves my Jeep Liberty."

Bought two, more to come

By on Friday, September 11, 2009

"I bought 2 2003 Jeep Liberties on the same day, brand new. I still have them, more than 6 years later. Neither one has EVER broken down. There have been zero mechanical problems. They have 60 to 70 thousand miles on them. These are the two best vehicles I've ever owned. When I trade them in, it will be for two new Jeeps. One of them was recently rear-ended. There was no visable damage to the Jeep but the car that hit me was totalled!"

Tough, Great Little SUV

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"Bought a 2003 with 18K -- got a great deal. My first owned SUV. Realtively inexpensive, I think. I've driven other larger SUVs and trucks and this thing holds its own. TONS of torque for its size. Had to get used to being easy on with the accelerator when I first got it. Styling is nice, not everly fancy, just a good sporting look. I have my in dark green and love the color. I was surprised how well it handles offroad. First day I got it -- tested it on a snowy incline -- jumped into the ditch and across the side of a 30 degree hill. Was a cinch in 4WD. I've put it in several feet of snow in the ditch twice since buying. No need for a tow if you know how to drive. Never been stuck with this Jeep once. Thankfully my Liberty is still in mint condition. Mine did not come with cruise control -- had it installed. Added fog lights. 2003 model sits the fog lights very low on the front bumper -- careful you don't break them as the stock ones are pricy. Not as tippy as you think, regardless of the rollover warnings. So if you worry about that, don't let it bother you too much. I change all the fluids, brakes, filters, etc. Haven't had to take it at all. Runs like it did when I got it. Currently have 46,000 on it. Same stock tires and still have acceptable/good tread. Gas mileage it alright. Not exceptional, but not terrible. I drive a 330 mile trip and about running on fumes near the end. Not sure if it's all Libertys or just mine, but that figures to be about 20mpg highway @ 60mph. Might be a little small for a bigger person. I'm 5'8'' and about 150 and even I wish I had more leg space in the driver seat. The back ISNT uncomfortable, but could use some more room. Hauling stuff isn't so bad as both back seats fold forward flat. I don't have a hitch, unfortunately. Overall I recommend the vehicle. It's a tough little SUV that can handle a lot, in my opinion."

very happy

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I am enjoying this car very much, I have had it 2 years, and have had no problems. The car is very comfortable and handles well, my only complaint is the gas mileage. Considering the 08 model, but I think the gas mileage is even worse, Hmmm...don't know what to do."

Love this Vehicle

By on Friday, January 18, 2008

"i just love my Liberty. It drives well, handles well in bad weather, drives smooth, great for city and rural driving. Live in the city, but love to get out of town. Can parallel park with ease due to the great turning radius, yet can handle rough roads and back roads outside of town as well. Love the styling (really not a big fan of the new model, which is a lot more Dodge and a lot less Jeep in looks). Really like the Liberty Limited package with the leather seats, dual power seats, and other niceties. Gives it a spruced up feel for not a lot of extra cost. I would highly recommend this vehicle."

What you'd expect for a Jeep

By on Friday, January 4, 2008

"Our Liberty has been used hard. It has proven reliable and tough. It has been so trouble free that we decided to hang onto it a bit longer. What's gone wrong in 6 years? Not much. In 130k of driving, I've had to replace an alternator, and two injectors. A bracket holding the drivers seat back cushion the seat bottom has broken. Since a new seat is over $1,000 and our upholstery is still very good, I’ll pull the seat out and weld the bracket back together - when it warms out outside. Other than these minor problems, I haven't spend anything beyond normal maintenance. I don't think I've ever owned a 4WD that has been so reliable. One thing about the Liberty. Fuel mileage seems very sensitive to driving styles. My wife routinely averages 20-22 mpg. I'm a lead foot by comparison. I'll clear her mileage off the trip to compare mine. I only average 14-16 mpg. Seems low, but this little 6 has guts and I have fun using it. Bonus feature: The spare tire opens with the tailgate. If you're a biker, get a rack that mounts to the spare tire carrier. This turns the Liberty into the most convenient bike carrier you’ll ever own. Far superior to one of those stupid hitch mount racks that always needs to be moved when you open the tailgate."

Good Vehicle for the Money

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"The only complaint I have about this vehicle is the interior room. That being said, I wanted a mid-size SUV, so that's something I was willing to sacrifice. I've taken my Liberty to the mountains and didn't have any trouble navigating the roads or losing traction or power. The premium sound system is definitely worth the upgrade. I sprung for the heated leather seats as well, which was a must for me. For the price I paid (under $30,000) and the options I just had to have, I believe I got a good deal. The depreciation is about average. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a very long time."

Solid little 4x4!

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "great price."

Cons: "not the best gas mileage for a small 4x4."

"The only downfall to my Jeep is the gas mileage.Only gets about 16-17 mpg. It was the first vehicle I bought on my own, without my husband or anyone coming with me. It is great in the snow! Outdoes the other Jeeps we have owned in the winter. I have owned it for 8 yrs. and I feel I have definitely got my moneys worth"

Daily Driver over 11 Years - It's Been Excellent!

By on Saturday, August 9, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, capable off-road, comfort"

Cons: "16-18 mpg due to low geared drive train."

"Bought this 03 Renegade new December 2012. In 11 1/2 yrs and 90,000 miles, the turn signal switch broke, one electric window regulator broke, and the AC compressor died. That's it, other than regular service and a new set of Michelens last year. Haven't even had to do the brakes yet! We've enjoyed the car so much that we bought a diesel Liberty new in '06. That one had all the elec window regulators replaced under warranty. No other issues. The Liberty's are comfortable on long trips for the three of us, and extremely capable off-road. Drove my stock Renegade into hunting camp and the guys could not believe it went in there like nothing. They had lifted big ol' trucks and got dents and bumper damage. Not my Liberty. It turns tight- drove right around all the big stuff. Both the '03 and the '06 have been as good as we could have hope for. Only thing is I'm thinking about selling mine because I need a pickup for more hauling space. I would not sell if I did not need a larger vehicle."

Overall pretty good

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Offroad ability, ruggedness, simplicity, compact"

Cons: "Gas miliage, poor seat fabric, hatch design"

"05 liberty, owned for 2 years now, bought it at 98k. Its incredible at offroading, power, its easy to work with (ive done a lot of work on it and im no mechanic) whenever it needs fixing, great view and overall good driveability. Its major flaws though are its gas milage. I get about 17 in the winter, 22 at best in summer (wny area). It also has a poor hatch design, its rusting pretty bad on the top of the hatch opening,but no where else. I had the parking break explode on me (that was quite the crisis) and im just getting the torque converter replaced at 135k. Thats an $800 fix. Basically, its an awesome little suv, just be prepared for the pricey (but convienently simple) repairs, and its "bottomless pit" appetite for gasoline. If you understand that thats what youre getting into when you buy it, you should love it!!!"

will hate to let this go...

By on Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pros: "great price & fun to drive"

Cons: "horrible on gas mileage"

"yes - this was HORRIBLE on gas. however, living in central NY, best car ever; NEVER got stuck in the snow. BEST drivers seat ever, this bucket seat had the greatest lumbar support. I still own this and a Patriot, miss the height difference and that drivers seat! 12 yrs old, 171000 miles - couldn't have done better !!"