2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.3

Based on 374 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Multiple Flavors - Jack of All Trades

By on Saturday, June 7, 2014

"Before I tell you about my GC Ltd, Diesel, w/ Off-Road II package, a word of warning about car reviews. There are for this vehicle, six trim levels, four engines, three transmissions and three final drive ratios. What is said about this vehicle may apply to only one combination and even the pro writers may confuse the specs. That said, I enjoy the vehicle immensely. Of course, we're talking diesel here. If you're a performance junky, here's the story. Obviously, the 3.6l is the slowest and the SRT is in a league of its own. However, if all you compare is the 0-60 specs of the 5.7 l Hemi to the diesel, you won't get the full story. As the diesel has more torque and a lower final drive ratio, its probably faster than the hemi in the 0-35 mph range (and you will be impressed). Although I wouldn't say that the shifting is perfect at all times, the diesel/8 speed qualifies as butter smooth. You may read some complaints that the shifter is fussy. What his amounts to is that the détentes are feathered light as are the power window switches. If you hammer at them without thinking, you'll go past where you want. I have had the opportunity to go up a mile long 45 degree slope several times in low gear with the paddle shifters. Effortless fun. Complaints? Had an OBD light come on at 385 miles. Egr bypass control fault attributed to a vacuum line. To be fixed shortly. Upon upgrading UConnect radio software, I lost Bluetooth metadata (presently investigating). And, I wouldn't call the ride quality a luxury vehicle ride. A touch noisy over rough road. However, my vehicle is an off road setup with 18" wheels. My opinion might be different with a Summit trim with 20" wheels. Lastly, I'm exceeding the mpg specs (21/28). Getting 23 in the city and 30 on the highway at 70 mph. Not bad for a 5400 lb vehicle that accelerates like a rocket in it lower gears."

Best Value for a SUV that I have owned

By on Sunday, April 8, 2012

Pros: "Initial Price, Comfort, Handling for a SUV"

Cons: "Depreciation, mileage on V6 (compared information)"

"Bought a Laredo with leather and some other upgrades (limited models available in early 2012 at local dealerships) but spent another $5k on wheels, tires, navigation, blue tooth and back up camera. Would just move up a model or two if I buy another. Have had BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, Chevorelet and Ford SUVs. Best value of all."

Transmission Problems

By on Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Pros: "UConnet"

Cons: "Transmission"

"I love the look and technology of this car. I own a 2014 GC Limited. UConnect it great. Love that I can start my car from my desk. Not the best navigation. And now on to the transmission, terrible. Car doesn't shift gears properly. Car is constantly jerking because it is not in the proper gear because it didn't downshift/upshift properly. If you slow down for a red light but do not completely stop when you step on the gas the car doesn't go then suddenly jumps to 3rd for 4th gear causing the whole car to jerk. Make a turn across traffic at your own risk...because of the shifting problem car will hesitate (stop) and although you may have enough time to complete the turn you might not. Been to dealership 5 times and their answer is "that's not abnormal." I have had 3 updates in 6 months but none have fixed the problem. At first all I wanted was the car fixed...now I am feeling a little burned. My money was good enough to take, including the purchase of the protection warranty (covers all different parts of tranny but not whole tranny)but I am not significant enough to have my car fixed. Just want to get rid of it at this point."

Good Styling and Function, but.....

By on Thursday, August 8, 2013

Pros: "Styling, technology, ride, handling"

Cons: "Seat comfort, ECO mode transmission"

"I bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland about a month ago and am generally happy with a couple small issues and one more substantial. What I like: The styling and technology in the car is great. Voice activated phone and text are nice, as well as navigation and some other features. The ride and handling is better than expected, and the gas mileage in the V6 has been almost 20 mpg in mixed city and highway driving. (Previously owned a car with the HEMI V8 that averaged 13 mpg). Issues: The vehicle comes with an economy mode, where the transmission will shift quickly thru the gears to improve fuel economy. The owner's manual makes it seem like you have the ability to turn it on IF you want it on, but the car defaults to that mode when you start the engine. So, you have to remember to turn it off, rather than turn it on if you don't want it on. Seems a bit picky, I know, but the car will hesitate if you try to accelerate at 15 mph because the car is already in 4th gear. Have that happen enough times and you'll get frustrated too. The default transmission should be the normal transmission, not the ECO mode. Bigger Issue: The seats are literally the most uncomfortable seats I've ever had to sit in. Unfortunately, I did not notice this in my 10 minute test drive. The leather seems soft enough, but underneath must be cement. I have the heated and ventilated seats, so maybe the components are contributing to the issue, and you might have a different experience if you don't have that option - I'm not sure. Overall, I think it's a nice car, but it's hard to be excited about a car that you don't want to sit in."

$30K less than RR Sport... great deal

By on Saturday, August 8, 2015

Pros: "Nice luxury for the price, exceptional engine"

Cons: "Dismal fuel economy, questionable reliability"

"After driving BMW X5's and a LR RR Sport for many years, I'm pleasantly surprised at what Jeep's Summit offers in quality, comfort, ride and performance. My Summit has the HEMI 360 HP V8, which is like a RR Sport Supercharged miniature version, in a very nice way. The powerful engine and smooth 8-speed transmission isn't overkill... just right. But the fuel economy is dismal... Just as bad as RR Sport and BMW X5's more powerful engines. The build quality isn't quite as nice as BMW or Land Rover, but for $30K less, it's plenty nice. The acoustic windshield, adaptive cruise control, ergonomically designed infotainment system, A/C and heated seats, and auto start engine (with auto adjust A/C, seats, etc.) all are useful amenities. And the power lift gate is better than X5 or Sport's."

Love the styling

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pros: "luxury styling, look and feel, comfort"

Cons: "reliability yet to be determined"

"I fell in love with this vehicle the first time I looked at it. The test drive confirmed it - I had to have it. I have the 2014 Limited edition. You get the style, comfort and technology of a luxury brand (i.e. - BMW, Mercedes, Lexus) for a much better price. I find the interior roomy and luxurious, I love the Uconnect, the back-up camera and bluetooth connection to my Iphone. I have read the reviews about the electrical problems and am hoping that they don't show up in my vehicle. I have had it for almost two months, taken it on two longer trips, total mileage now over 2000. Only issues I sometimes notice - satellite radio hangs sometimes, gets stuck on a station and won't move, the keyless entry can sometimes by a bit touchy and I have on occasion, usually with the air on full blast, noticed the lag in the transmission getting out of first gear, or jumping gears. Hoping that does not end up being a major problem for me."

I Absolutely LOVE my Jeep

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great value, excellent interior/ride"

Cons: "Dont know how to reset oil change notice :)"

"I traded a 2008 Impala for my Grand Cherokee Limited and I have not regretted it once. For those of you that want an SUV that rides like a car this is it. My mom had a Mercedes GL450 and that thing rode like a hummer in the desert. I have been very impressed by the ride, comfort and quality of my Jeep."

Very Reliable and Safe Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pros: "Fun daily driver vehicle, good looking SUV"

Cons: "A/C switch on steering also"

"Excelent ride, interior comfort, good gas mileage, engine sound like a lot., so far very good service and NO trips yet for warranty services. U connect is a plus"

2014 Grand Cherokee, best I'v own out of 4 Jeeps

By on Saturday, January 7, 2017

Pros: "Spacious, attractive interior."

Cons: "Slight vibration in steering wheel at certain sp"

"Purchased as 2nd owner. Jeep had close to 30,000 miles, looked like new. Handles well, good gas millage for a Hemi. Love the eco system."

Best car ever!

By on Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive and reliable."

Cons: "No flaws. I'm in love."

"I love the performance and comfort of this SUV. This is my first Jeep ever and I am so satisfied that I will never buy another brand. There is power, elegance and comfort. Mine is fully equipped and I enjoy every gadget!"

Always wanted a jeep. Was Great. Would get another

By on Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pros: "Great highway milage and gas control."

Cons: "I need faster. (personally)"

"Jeeps are great. I jst need a V8"

I'm in love!

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "none major so far."

"I bought a white altitued back in July. I love it. It looks awesome & drives like a dream. The ONLY issue that I have had is with the back of the driver's seat where the plastic piece meets the leather. There is a gap. It has been replaced twice now & it still has the gap. And not just a tiny gap, a big one, as in I can see everything that is inside the seat. Other than that, I have no complaints. I have found the seats extremely conformtable. I also get about 24 mpg on long trips, 19-20 on city, and around 21-22 on highway. & that's with me figuring it out & not just using the mpg this on the dash that tells you your avg."

Grand Cherokee Overland Summit

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "great car!!! safe reliable well built high quality"

Cons: "gas mileage not so good, accurate but low"

"this is the most beautiful high quality totally loaded car in this price range. I have never had a single problem mechanically. she is just gorgeous. The only draw back is the gas mileage is very low. This car has the best 4 wheel drive ever!!"

Hemi GC is as good as they say

By on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pros: "Quality"

Cons: "Transmission"

"I have owned my Laredo hemi 4x4 for 29,000 miles and 17 months. Nimble in town, with a tight turning radius, especially compared to the front wheel drive competition from Ford, GM, and the imports. Great highway road trip vehicle. Comfortable ride, quiet interior, quality seats, solid handling, strong brakes, lots of passing power. The outdated transmission doesn't like to downshift except under heavy throttle, resulting in very jerky response at times, but the easy manual override to summon downshifts is a satisfactory solution for now. A seven or 8-speed modern gearbox would cure that. The hemi doesn't have much low end torque. You gotta wind it out to feel the impressive strength of the engine. The hemi V-8 is EPA rated at 13 city/19 highway and that is pretty accurate. The hemi runs on 4 cylinders for better fuel economy under light throttle (say, 65-70 mph on flat ground) and it seems to stay in that mode longer when using mid grade or premium gas. I've gotten 20-21 mpg highway at speeds below 70 mph. Not a rattle or squeak yet after 29,000 miles. No trips to the shop for repairs. Quality interior still looks new, though our grey interior needs regular cleaning. Premium stereo is good. Back doors are a little tight but the seat is roomy and comfortable. Lots of legroom and the seatback reclines. Room for a child car seat and two average adults. There is a real spare tire and a flashlight is included. Really, a nice vehicle."

Totally happy and impressed

By on Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, lots of pickup, great interior"

"I just purchased a 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited and this is my first non GM vehicle. I am totally pleased with the quality of this vehicle all around. It is luxurious, classy, impressive and comfortable. The V6 motor has plenty of pickup and moves just like my 08 Impala did if not better. This is one SUV that rides like a car. The interior is amazing. Comfortable, sleek and stylish but also practical. The instrument panel isn't cumbersome or over designed like most of the GM vehicles I looked at. Also, for the money this vehicle has much more than its GM counterparts with almost twice the motor. I have only had this vehicle for just over a week, but I can tell this is going to be a great ride to own. It is fun to drive as well as looks great. My friends are all jealous. Some of my favorite features are: heated seats, cooled seats, power lift gate, the radio connects by bluetooth to your phone and also allows you to play audio files without a cord, auto adjust high beams and the back up cam that also moves the side mirrors down so you can see the curb when parallel parking. There are just so many cool things its hard to list them all. Definitely a great quality vehicle and worth every penny."

Surprisingly solid and refined

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "Great ride, very quite, very smooth"

Cons: "Could use a bit more cargo space."

"We bought this because we needed a vehicle to tow behind our motor home and one I could drive to work each day. I am very impressed with this vehicles ride, performance and looks. The steering is very responsive. I enjoy the interior. I traded my Cadilac DTS and the interior puts it to shame. We have taken it up Pikes Peak, Mt. Rushmore and the plains of North Dakota as well as the beaches of south Padre Island. I Toyota Forerunner got stuck in the sand at South Padre and I pulled him out and he was buried to the frame, without even breaking a sweat. The vehicle is at much at home at the Ritz or on the top of a mountain. I've had many frienspds comment on its looks and are assaying they are definetly going to give Jeep another look. The thing literally can take you anywhere on the planet on or off road all well you feel like your sitting in your best luxury recliner. Great job Jeep. You have a new fan."

Great vehicle, I got a lot of options and the hemi

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "Fun and accomadating"

Cons: "gas, but I knew that when buying"

"Fun, gas hog even with the six cyl. so I sprung for the hemi as the mileage is almost identical. Well thought out interior that is very cozy. Could use a small separate coin tray. I have the nav and siri making the trips much more enjoyable. Nice job jeep"

Jeep Makes a Comeback

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, fast, safe, versatile, stylish"

Cons: "seats are a bit hard, gas mileage (V8)"

"The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been thoroughly updated- a leap from 2010 to 2011 so drastic it's like comparing an elephant missing a leg to an overenthusiastic puppy. The 2010 was impressive enough, with decent on road manners and commendable off-road performance, but the interior was lacking, as was the safety and the styling. the 2011, however, takes everything 100 levels up. the styling is modern and sleek, the on-road manners are commendable with well-weighted steering, quick responses to anything the driver does, and athletic and graceful movements. Off-road, the beast is nearly unstoppable with 3 4x4 systems and even air suspension, plus exceptional standard approach, breakover, and departure angles, and a generous amount of standard ground clearance and traction. The safety is a standout, with many awards including the MSN Autos Safest SUV in America Award. interior room in generous with a large cargo area, fold-flat rear seats, and plenty of legroom for all five seats. The optional 9-speaker Alpine sound system is exceptional, as is the Garmin navigation system. With the standard 3.6 Liter V6, the Jeep is modestly quick but becomes a hot rod with the scorching 5.7 Liter Hemi V8. The only downside of this new Jeep is fuel economy with the V8... but who cares? that's not why you buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee. You buy it because you want a fun, fast, off-road capable, safe, stylish, versatile Sport-Utility-Vehicle."

The very best SUV I have ever owned.

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Comfort, style, price, power makes it very complet"

Cons: "I get about 22-23 on the Highway."

"I just purchased my new 2012 Grand Cherokee 7,000 miles ago and am so impressed with it's performance, power, design, interior, Nav/Stereo system. I normally can find fault with something, but have yet to do so with this Jeep. Even the paint job on it is top notch quality. I have taken it to the mountains of Tennessee with it not thinking twice about going up and down those steep grades. It is also one of the most quiet vehicles I have ever driven. You barely notice any shifting sound or change from the engine. It happens fluidly. And when you pass a semi, you are not blown away by the road or other vehicle sounds. All in all, I will be keeping this Jeep until it dies. And I am thorougly convinced that is what it will take."

JCG OVERLAND SUMMIT

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Solid, Reliable, Luxurious, Stylish, Fun to Drive, etc."

"This is by far the most luxurious Jeep yet. The Overland Summit has so many features, its mind bogeling. My wife was interested in the BMW X5, then took her to drive this and she was impressed. So I bought it! :)"

Quality Build, Fun To Drive, Great Looks

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pros: "Quality, Power, Comfort and a Pleasure To Drive"

Cons: "Could use a bit more interior storage."

"Over my seventy years I have bought many new cars. The 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit is without a doubt the most enjoyable car that I have owned. Before this purchase we test drove several other SUV's including Toyota, Mercedes, etc...the Jeep won out for us. It has more useable features, including safety features that I find more than useful. The ride, comfort and finish are second to none. Chrysler has done an excellent job on this most awarded SUV."

great value

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "comfortable/well appointed interior, smooth ride"

Cons: "ECO drive shifting (5.7L) is noticeable"

"We had a fully loaded 2004 Tahoe LT (5.3L) and were looking to step down in size a bit. After test driving several mid-size SUVs including the GMC Acadia, Honda Pilot, Nisan Pathfinder, Toyota Highlander we decided on the 2013 Grand Cherokee. Test drove both the 3.6L and 5.7L HEMI models, and opted for the power of the 5.7L HEMI. Have gotten 17+ city and over 22 MPG highway consistently. The GC Overland's overall handling, ride, power, and standard features are what sold us."

Love my diesel

By on Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pros: "MPG, standard features, drives like a car"

"It took 12 weeks for my diesel model to come in but I could not be happier with it. I average 26mpg around town and get approximately 28mpg on the highway. I have had no issues with the UConnect system and it's registration (I did register it). The bluetooth quality is extremely clear and sound system is great. The engine is quiet with plenty of power. It hugs the road better than most SUV's - my husband likes small sports cars and even he likes to drive it! Living in cold NH I love the how the heated seats and steering wheel come on automatically with the remote start. I am extremely happy with this vehicle and would absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for a luxury feel with the fuel efficiency of the diesel."

I was disappointed

By on Saturday, March 28, 2015

Pros: "nice looking truck, comfortable, nice interior"

Cons: "performance and transmission issues"

"I owned this vehicle for less than a year and was not happy with it. I still receive recall notifications in the mail. The vehicle has great styling, but the biggest fault I have is the transmission, which seemed to shift at the wrong times and, on several occassions, when I needed the power to get in or out of a situation, the engine/transmission refused to perform. It hesitated and just stopped, I had to brake hard, and wait, and try again. Need to perfect the new transmission. Mileage wasn't that great in city, but managed to get 26-28 on the highway."

Incredible!

By on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pros: "Luxurious in every way!"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I have the black/black 2014 Summit and couldn't have chosen a better vehicle. I thought I was getting the BMW X5 until this came out and I knew that was the one. I did have a problem with the cruise control but the dealership fixed it immediately and I haven't had any problems since. The gas mileage is not great but the ammenities and luxurious ride exceed the cost. Highly recommed you take one for a test drive and use the vented seat option on the climate control!"