2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.3

Based on 373 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

An amazing SUV for the money!

By on Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pros: "Price, technology, 4x4, V8 engine, fit & finish"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I bought a JGC Overland Summit 4x4 edition last weekend and it is an amazing SUV for the price. Got it for $1,000 under invoice and this thing is loaded with technology. The fit and finish of the interior is fantastic and while it's not as good as it's German competitors it is really close. The leather dash and the wood trim and steering wheel really help to add a sense of luxury to a go anywhere SUV. The leather seats are comfortable and I look forward to seeing how they fare in the upcoming road trip I'm taking. While I've had heated seats in several of my last vehicles this is the first to have cooled seats and to my surprise they actually work really well. I am definitely looking forward to putting these to good use in the hot Arizona summers! The UConnect system is very easy to use but does look dated compared to some of the other systems out there like BMW's iDrive or Audi's MMI. I haven't used the navigation just yet but have played around with it. Again, it seems easy to use but the maps seem dated and from a system that looks like it is about 5-8 years old. I tend to use my iPhone with the Garmin app for navigation anyways as it gets frequent updates and has a better interface. The sound system is plenty powerful enough for my radio and satellite listening needs. It's not one for the audiophiles out there but should work for the average individual just fine. The exterior looks great with not too much chrome to make it too flashy, although I probably would have preferred different wheels instead of the included aluminum/chrome ones that came with it. Also, the side mirrors could be a little bigger to help see the cars around you but having the blind spot monitoring technology definitely helps with this. The front and rear parking sense are also a great thing to have and helps to avoid pulling to close to the car in front of you when parking and helps detect hitting any of the cars in the parking lot when backing out of the parking space. The sensors paired with the back up camera means you should never come close to hitting anything in a parking lot! The ride quality is excellent with the quadra lift air suspension, although it does give it a bit of a floaty driving experience along with the steering. It won't match up to the ride quality/experience of a BMW but does ride very well for it's segment. I do like the fact that you can lower the SUV for easier ingress and egress. I'm still in the break in period for the engine so I haven't punched it just yet but the 5.7L V8 performs really well and can get this beast going in a decent amount of time. The downside of the V8 is the gas mileage. So far I am averaging about 13.8 MPG in town but that was to be expected with an engine like this."

Could not be happier!

By on Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pros: "Great ride, responsive handling, technology"

Cons: "Gas mileage ohh well, trunk could be bigger"

"After more than 6,000 miles on my new grand Cherokee it is definitely the best car I have owned and great value for the money! I purchased the V8 hemi version of the overland with the advanced tech package and boy - this thing is smooth! They have thought out a lot of details here really, This time of the year in Michigan it is nice to get the remote working before coming down to the parking lot at work, and the car is all warmed out for you! No issues or hicks what-so-ever. The car moves fast, has great road handling - love the suspension and the tight steering. This is a solid primo car that looks good and is a joy to ride."

This is our 10th Jeep AND the BEST YET

By on Friday, April 19, 2013

Pros: "Quality, capability and value for the price"

Cons: "Panoramic sunroof, prefer the regular size opening"

"This is a 2014 model year review and a bit long. We do a lot of traveling and RVing, with a fair amount of offroading. All things considered for our use, Jeeps are the very best all around vehicles period. I bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4 a couple of months ago to replace my wife's 2005 model. What a fantastic upgrade. It has exceeded all expectations. It has had zero problems. Had 5.7L hemis in past, went with newly improved Pentastar V6 this time. The V6 is certainly as capable as my 4.7L V8 I had in my old 2006 Laredo (traded for a BMW 5 series as I wanted a car instead of two Jeeps), so very pleased. MPG - getting upper teens in town and mid twenties on highway trips. Now have 8 speed auto tranny and could now get a diesel if wanted (would not get due to costly urea headache). I have a lot of 4x4 usage experience and most other brand 4X4s and all wheel drives are a joke - get the Jeep. Sound system, UConnect (8.4" screen), ride quality, road noise, handling are all great. Now getting it set up for easily towing behind our motorhome. The only vehicles that come close to my new Jeep are the Land Rovers for nearly twice the price and twice the reliability issues. This has been our experience, yours may vary."

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Smooth quiet and powerful."

"We purchased our Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit approximately six months ago. During this period of time, I can say this has to be the finest vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Traveling down the road it handles beautifully and is surprisingly smooth and quiet. The interior fit and finish is outstanding, and the seats are comfortable and supportive. All of the amenities which were optioned out on this vehicle such as adaptive cruise, blind side monitoring, etc. all operate flawlessly. I ordered this vehicle with the 5.7 hemi engine with some concerns about gas mileage. However, travelling at around 65 mph on interstate roads I managed to record a steady 22 miles per gallon. Drop down to 55 mph and the mileage goes up to 24 mile per gallon. All things considered with the size and power of this vehicle I was pleased with these figures. Granted, someone else with their driving habits might obtain better or worst mileage results. At this point, the only problem I have with this Jeep is trying to get the keys away from the wife, needless to say it's a losing battle!"

Really like this SUV

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, safe, and reliable"

Cons: "Wish I would have gotten the model with Blue Tooth"

"This is a great SUV. Makes it through the snow like it is dry weather! My first Jeep and probably will not be my last."

Nice Jeep, but Pentastar V6 has problems.

By on Sunday, April 8, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Pentstar V6? Not a comfortable feeling @ only 17k."

"Check engine light came on at 17,000mi, Needs new cylinder head, my daughter has same car same problem, dealer says this is a problem with this engine, be careful. This could cost Chrysler Lots of moola. Otherwise I really love the car. Will probably trade in a year now but won't buy another, don't have any good feelings now. Low quality rating is for pentastar V6 only."

Simply Blows Away all Competition

By on Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pros: "Look"

Cons: "mpg"

"1st Jeep. Hit one year @ 12k and typical annual miles are 8k - just love driving my Overland 4x4 Hemi. No comparision with BMW, MB, LR, Porche, etc. Better vehical for much less $$s. Love the quadra lift option, sport height provides impoved handling. Love the stereo but wish nav was easier to work while traveling, hope a future software upgrade can help. Body style looks great and offers protection from dings and knicks with contours and plastic molding over wheels and doors edges - KOOL. Last point: love the large steering wheel and stick shift feel."

Jeeping for another couple of decades

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "Best in value and best in every other way too!"

Cons: "None yet"

"Of all the SUVs and cross-overs, only the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee was compelling enough for me to replace my '93 Grand Cherokee. I evaluated every vehicle even remotely similar, but nothing was in this Jeep's class when it comes to value, style, and gadgets."

Great SUV

By on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"Originally was going to buy a 2010 Ford Edge. I can get a discount from both lines through family and decided to test drive the 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited, I was sold on the Jeep. My only concern was gas milage since my mother's 2004 V6 limited only got about 17mpg on the highway. What a surprise, after 2 weeks we took the Jeep on a week long, 1650 mile vacation. I AVERAGED 23 miles per gallon on regular gas for the entire trip with the new V6 Pentastar engine. Can't find any faults with quality or comfort. I have used GPS for years and found the JEEPs a little less user friendly than most. Love the styling and look."

so far so greeat

By on Thursday, February 17, 2011

"We purchased a 2011 JGC overland in Blackberry with the new saddle leather interior. We now have 1,700 miles on vehicle and it has been great so far we have the off road package on our jeep with the V8 engine we just took a 1,200 mile trip and everything perfprmed great we averaged 19.5 mpg with the vehicle loaded including the back seat average speed was 70mph all the gadgets perfprmed as they should me and the wife are very happy with our purchase we ordered veicle on 11/29 we picked our jeep up on 1/28"

LOVE my JEEP!

By on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pros: "great price, great options!"

Cons: "NONE"

"It's very comfortable with the leather seats and it drives like you are in a luxury car. The back seat reclines and the trunk is big enough that it could still fit anything that you needed it to."

Best Vehicle I have owned

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

"I bought my Grand Cherokee in May and drove it out of state from Texas to Alabama and got 25.6 mpg. I have the penstar v6 and love the power and gas milage that cant be beat. Chrysler really did an excellent job developing this engine. Love the refined interior. I have the saddle leather and it is very high quality leather and beautiful, makes riding in this vehicle a very pleasant experience. Love the navigation also. I traded a Mercedes for this and never looked back."

Almost a Home-Run

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "Exterior and Interior fit and finish, sound system"

Cons: "Shift knob, rear window doesn't open"

"Traded in 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for the 2014 Summit. The redesign is nearly a home-run. The auto leveling feature is great when I have heavy items in back or on hitch. The adaptive cruise control on my first long trip was a real pleasure to use. The interior looks great and is very comfortable. In ECO mode, which vehicle defaults to when started, the shifting IS different than any other vehicle, but that's why a nearly 5000 lb vehicle can get such good gas mileage. You don't get something for nothing and if I want a more traditional or agressive shifting pattern, I just turn off ECO mode or put into SPORT mode. I do not like the 100% electric shift knob. I still hunt for "D" or "R" when making a quick Y turn. The UConnect software and touch screen could be quicker and did freeze up on me once, but in general is very easy to figure out. I don't like that they got rid of the seperately opening manual rear window since that was nice when transporting longer items (now cannot be opened seperately). Sound system is amazing and has so many options for music sources I'm still finding new ways to play music (XM radio, HD radio, regular FM, Aux input, CD player, BlueTooth streaming music,etc..)."

Updating my Aug. 8th Review

By on Sunday, September 8, 2013

Pros: "Interior and Exterior Styling"

Cons: "Transmission, and computer glitches"

"I initially reviewed this car on Aug. 8th, having owned the car for 1 month (see "Good Styling and Function, But..). At month 2, my review has worsened, having had to bring it in for service twice due to faulty computer issues and transmission problems. The computer issues have been minor compared to others I've read, but are annoying nonetheless. My radio presets are there one day, gone the next. The NAV screen freezes on an area, and the clock stops keeping time. More annoying is the transmission. In regular transmission mode, the car will jump from 1st gear into 2nd gear at slow speeds (like bumper to bumper traffic on the Washington beltway) or in a parking lot, even if you've come off the accelerator. It also slows too abruptly when coming down off of higher speeds. In general the transmission in this car needs to be reworked. And even though Jeep is aware of the issue that consumers are having, they say the transmission is working properly. My advice is to hold off purchasing this car until they get the computer and transmission issues resolved. I will try to give another update in the next month or 2."

Could be best vehicle ever

By on Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pros: "Loved the way the car drove"

Cons: "Can't drive it if it's broke. Too dangerous."

"After owning five Fords, decided to try a 2014 Jeep Overland. Bought on Friday and took it back on Monday. Got it back a week later and took it back a week later and haven't seen it again. Issues: GPS screen goes blank, GPS screen gets distorted, GPS nav doesn't talk, side car alarm sounds and won't shut off, radio won't turn down or up just stays at the same volume....and the list goes on. Now, if I pull over, cut car off and re-crank, it will sometimes reset everything and work sometimes. Jeep dealer did a USB software glitch update first time I brought it in. Second time they said they were going to have to replace entire system. They've had it this time almost two weeks. Told us today there isn't one sitting on a shelf that they can get and they can't tell us when it will ever be fixed. So it has sat in their garage more than mine. They say the 2013 models don't have this issue. It's only the 2014 models. What I don't understand is why they are still advertising and selling them I'f they know there is a computer glitch."

Lots of electrical problems

By on Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful exterior. Really sharp looking."

Cons: "Lags in take off unless in sport mode."

Sharp

"Have had 4 recalls on various items. Still am having electrical issues, like the radio will just go off by itself, there is back static in the radio and I have also had the gauge panel go back several times while driving. The gas mileage is considerably lower than advertised. Also the digital clock does not keep time. I have to go into the settings mode about once a week and add a couple of minutes to get the readout corrected. Maybe it's just haunted. IDK. I have had the Jeep 15 months and am ready to trade for a non Chrysler product."

Sharp

My 5th Jeep - 2nd Grand Cherokee

By on Sunday, August 21, 2016

Pros: "Everything - The overall value"

Cons: "Nothing"

"I bought my first Grand Cherokee in 2008 during a time when Daimler-Chrysler offered a limited lifetime warranty on the powertrain. I still have that Jeep with over 300,000 miles and it is still going strong. I purchased my 2nd Grand Cherokee in April. To say that I love it is an understatement. It is loaded with most of the latest features including driver assist systems, UConnect, leather, sunroof, tow package, etc. It is a pleasure to drive with the V6 having plenty of power - especially in sport or manual mode. Very comfortable and looks sharp! It does not have 3rd row seating but I don't need it. The 3rd row seating version of this vehicle is the Dodge Durango. The cargo area is plentiful, especially with the seats down. The roof rack also provides additional storage capabilities if necessary. Before purchasing this car, I drove SUVs from BMW, Mercedes, GM, and Ford and chose the Jeep again because of the overall value. We all have our preferences, however, I would recommend to anyone planning to purchase an SUV in this class to at least give the Grand Cherokee a look."

Good for the money but not great!

By on Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pros: "Good value, great sound, great for hauling."

Cons: "Poor AC, some cheap material."

"The new summit is a good car for the price, AC does not blow enough cold air and since the cold air coming out of vent is within Chryslers range they won't do anything about it. Make sure you test drive the car on the freeway, mine needed balancing of tires and an alignment adjustment since the car was pulling to the left and the steering wheel would shake! Very poor voice recognition quality. Great drive, not Cayenne good but close enough, I have owned Porsche and Land Rovers in the past and for 30k less this is not a bad ride. Great off road, great sound system, great for pulling the boat (5000 lb) and love the adaptive cruise control, on long road trips you will feel a lot fresher. Want the ultimate get a Cayenne but pay a lot more! Good value."

The Grand Cherokee has been kicked up a notch!

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "Dollar for Dollar a great value, fun to drive"

Cons: "Electronic Transmission Selector tricky."

"This car replaced my 2009 Grand Cherokee. The difference in comfort and performance is amazing. I loved my 2009 Jeep, but this card far exceeds my expectations on all levels. 20 mpg every day and a consistent 26-27 mpg on the highway. My 2009 with the V6 engine 21 mpg highway on a good day."

Amazing on and off Road, Tech is superb

By on Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pros: "Power, Road Manners, Off Road Capability."

Cons: "Gas mileage, but hey, I got the V8 HEMI."

"Bought the 2014 Summit to tow behind our RV, absolutely LOVE it. UConnect is so easy even an analog man living in a digital world like me could figure it out. Love the ability to raise and lower ground clearance for my hunting excursions. On road, its quiet, voice recognition is easy (recommend you take a look at the Uconnect website for voice commands...once I learned what to say, works like a charm) Love the hands free messaging, on road ride reminds me of the Audi A6 I drove for 6 months, and power of the HEMI reminds me of my corvette...OK, not quite the power of a ZO6, but you'll never have problems being the first off the line when the light turns green. Interior is flawless, smooth clean lines, no gaps, leather is supple, LOVE the heated and cooled seats. To me the interior is better than the Audi Q7 and Uconnect is WAYYYYYYY easier to use. Bottom Line, best all around vehicle I have bought in a long time. Serves me well on the off road hunting adventures and the wife loves the smooth ride to the grocery store...and oh yeah...AMERICAN MADE,,,,IMHO, can't beat this SUV, luxury and performance at a bargain compared to Audi, BMW and Porsche...and beats them all in the snow, mud and sand!...Guess you can tell, I love it!"

Best Jeep Yet!

By on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pros: "Smooth quiet ride. Great sound system. Options"

Cons: "Large exterior mirrors. Sunroof noise."

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Altitude Edition

"I wouldn't say I'm a Jeep enthusiast, but my 2012 Jeep is my third Grand Cherokee. I recently got rid of my 1999 Laredo with 185,000 miles, and still have my 2009 Laredo with 60,000 miles. I think there were a lot of shortcomings with the older models, but living in a rural area meant I couldn't live without the utilitarian capabilities a Jeep provides over an AWD car or crossover. Underneath, they are still more like a truck, with bigger wheels and the higher ground clearance I wanted. The new Grand Cherokee body style looks more like my 1999 did, and I like that. Other than similar looks, all else is different. My 2012 Grand Cherokee is a Laredo model, which is the lower end of the trim scale. However, it is a Laredo "Altitude" trim level, which is closer to the Limited for many things. It has the leather electric adjustable heated seats, sunroof, mid-range 9-speaker sound system with subwoofer, u-connect phone, tow package, tilt-telescopic steering wheel, 4x4, fog lamps, remote start, keyless entry and pushbutton start to name several upgrades. The Altitude comes in several trim types that make it very unique even amongst the Jeeps. Mine is all black, including the grill, low-profile mag wheels, and most trim. Many people have commented that they thought it was a police vehicle, which might explain why I get "trapped" behind vehicles that suddenly seem to slow down when I am behind them. The heating and A/C system has FINALLY been fixed in the Grand Cherokee. Both the heat and A/C can keep up with whatever mother nature dishes out, and the front and rear seats have their own floor and face vents. The wheelbase has been lengthened and the rear legroom incresed in the new model. I also love that the rear seats recline somewhat for comfort, and have a center drinkholder/armrest if there are not five passengers. The rear seat has access to an A/C plug which can be switched on or off from the dash (for safety). The ride is the smoothest yet, and the vehicle interior is quiet at all speeds, which makes the sound system even better. My sound system has the LCD screen which is used for system controls, back-up camera viewing, and u-connect phone controls. While it looks the same as those systems that have it, mine does not have the GPS built in. Since I own four Garmins, this isn't an issue for me. The system has two USB ports, one on the radio and one in the center console. It has a 1/8" aux input plug, and CD/DVD capability. It will only play DVD's if you are not moving. Any pictures or music can be downloaded to a 32G built in hard drive. The system will also play music from my smart phone via Bluetooth, including allowing me to control music selection on the phone without touching the phone. Volume, searches, and input selection can also be done from the multiple steering wheel controls. My Jeep is the automatic 4x4 system with no manual controls available, so this is a significant change compared to my other two Jeeps. My first instinct is to see this as a negative, but I haven't gotten stuck yet either. For typical driving, the 3.6 liter V-6 has been fine, getting as high as 25 MPG over a 600 mile trip. For towing, I wish I had the Hemi V-8, but the V-6 still gets the job done. My 2012 Grand Cherokee sits higher off the ground than my previous models did. The higher end models have a lowering feature, but I intend to buy the nerf bars for this one, as my petite wife is challenged with easy access to the seats. Jeep put a permeable wind screen that pops up when the sunroof is open, which is very noisy. A non-permeable windscreen I've had on other sunroofs is not as noisy. Overall, I would say that Jeep hit a grand-slam with the well appointed Grand Cherokee, and I am intent on buying another new one for ME very soon, as my wife doesn't let me near this one very often."

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Altitude Edition

My best vehicle so far

By on Friday, February 25, 2011

"I had a Grand Cherokee on rental and liked it so much that I bought one. I have had all kinds of imported cars, MB, BMW, Audi etc but the Grand Cherokee has the quietest and smoothest ride of them all. Jeeps are not known for being either quiet or smooth but this one is, I love driving it."

Once You Go JEEP You Can't Go Back!

By on Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pros: "Safety.. Features.. Value.."

Cons: "Should of waited for 8 Speed"

"We recently traded in our GMC Envoy that seemed to be one of the best vehicles we had owned. In the hunt for a new SUV we looked up and down to find the safest and best vale for the money. After going through all the features the JEEP Grand Cherokee had with Blind Spot Detection and Rear Cross Path Detection, we found our winner on the test drive. Not to mention test driving it through snow mounds which seemed as if we were going to get stuck yet made it through effortlessly! We absolutely LOVE the Grand Cherokee and when it comes to replacing this one will be back for another."

Love my Jeep

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "heated"

Cons: "steering wheel in way of speedo,although ajustable"

"I drive approx 30,000 per year and I am extremely happy with my Jeep. I have owned this vehicle for 6 months. Just recently, I am noticing some possible transmission issue with exeleration after letting off the gas..(a kind of chug chug)We need to take it to the dealer to see what's going on there. But overall, I love this vehicle. I am going to rely on this vehicle for many years.There are a couple things I would suggest to the manufacturer such as the way the dashboard is set up..it's hard to read the speedo unless your stearing wheel is adjusted quite a ways UP..also, the doors tend to close into you as you try to get in...the stoppers dont hold the door properly."

Awesome vehicle until mechanical issues

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

"I was so excited to get my 2014 Grand Cherokee limited. When I picked it up, it was great. It drove very well - I stayed with the V6 rather than upgrading. It was comfortable, and just all around everything I hoped. The Tech features are very cool, they take a little time to become familiar with all of the options though. After a few days of driving it, I was on the highway when it had an issue. First the instrument cluster stopped working, then it would not accelerate. The engine whined pretty loudly, then the whole car shut down, and I coasted for a few second. It came back on, and accelerated quickly. Luckily, there was nobody right in front of me. As of today, the Grand Cherokee is in the shop for the third time, all similar issues. The dealer has tried replacing the catalytic converter and the oxygen sensors... I'll see what they come up with this time. Chrysler's customer service so far has not been much help at all."