2001 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 861 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Amazing Vehicle

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"This 99 is my 2nd one. My 87 went over 350,000 without a second thought. Almost trouble free, and only minor issues, (sensors, A/C compressor, things like that) but what can I expect for 350,000 miles. I used it, abused it, neglected it, and put it through things that would destroy the best of them. After I sold it to a friend, it got passed around his family for about another 5 years. It did hit 500,000 before I lost track of it. Even at that point, not even the valve cover was removed. That 4.0 is amazing. I have 84,000 on my 99 now, and it has never let me down, never stranded, always starts right up, even in -30 degree weather. I had to put a fuel pump in it, due to a short span of hard starting, But I expect at least that. What a fantastic truck. A little tight for front legroom, but changing the seat tracks to power helped a ton. If it got totalled today, I would replace it with another exactly like it. There will probably be one in my driveway till the day I die."

Dependable

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"A vehicle to get you from point A to point B, even in inclimate weather. Not comfortable, and drives like a tractor. But if your a person who's primary concern in a vehicle is the basic function of reliable transportation no matter the weather: This is the truck for you!"

By on Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"Bought a 99 XJ. 205,000 miles later, replacing only the clutch and a wheel barring, my jeep still starts every day. Great car. The usual replacements: breaks, tires, oil. Nothing can stop this Jeep. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I do have a honda for a gas saver with my high millage commute when gas went through the roof, but I still drive my jeep every day. Inline 6 was the best engine ever built. Can take anything you throw at it. It is almost like a work tool. I use it for everything: towing, 4x4, pulling bushes out, tailgating. LOVE IT"

Best value

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"My 2nd Cherokee- first was an 88 Wagoneer LTD. Which I should have kept. Bought this 98 Sport used in 00 w/ 26K mi., and now have 180,000+ on it and it runs as strong as ever- maybe better. Did have to replace the rotors like everyone it seems, but very strong maintenance record otherwise. Needs a split rear seat, but still very functional and versatile. Towing and offroading no problem. Look for the full time/part time tranny feature if you can find it- great for mixed road conditions (like an AWD system). Do yourself a favor and spend $60 for a K&N high flow air filter- improves throttle response, horsepower and mileage. Also added a stiffer rear leaf spring to keep rear from sagging when loaded- about $150 very well spent. Simply awesome vehicle for the money. Not fancy- but she runs and runs and runs...."

Sweet all-arounder

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"One of the best vehicles I've ever owned. It's nothing super fancy styling wise (but classic), but it does everyting well. Small enough to manuver in the city easily, and more off-road worthy than the new bling-bling SUV's of late. With a $100 aftermarket air intake my power went up a few ponies and MPG went from 18mpg hwy to 22mpg hwy (with a bike rack on top). Plenty of room and yet not too big. Great all around vehicle, Highly recommended."