2000 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 861 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"I could cry as I write this, because I love this car so much. I've had my Jeep for 8 years and have NEVER had a single problem. It has never failed me, never given me a moment's headache, never even worried me as far as having an issue. Just have done all scheduled maintenance and never give it another thought. I LOVE THIS CAR. I've had it from my single days but now that I'm married with a growing family, my husband said it is time to get a car with third row seating. I am DRAGGING my feat. I'd rather drive my dependable ol' friend for another 8 years. It's a classic, and it is sturdy and it will forever be my favorite car of all time. I am so sad I have to sell mine ..."

Best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Friday, June 6, 2014

Pros: "Low maintenance, great 4WD system."

Cons: "Rides like a cob! But it's a 4WD..."

"Bought Jeep used in 2003 with just under 30K. Still driving today with just under 200K. Sport model, 4L straight six engine, 5-speed tranny, 2-door. The only thing I've ever touched is the A/C compressor. Replaced 3 years ago. Other than that...nothing, nada, not a thing. Runs like a champ and does not use a drop of oil. Not bad on gas. With the manual tranny I get over 24 on the highway. I wish some car company would make another inexpensive, plain-jane, 4WD vehicle like the Jeep Cherokee. I would buy one in a heart beat. The"

i love my jeep

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive."

Cons: "low mpg"

"honestly, best car i could ask for. mpg isnt too great but the power is extraordinary. mine is lifted and has 31's onit and does phenomenal in sand snow and mud!"

Great SUV!

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "size, quick, reliable"

Cons: "gas, dont make them anymore"

"This is my 4th vehicle and my favorite so far. I bought it with aprox 95k on th odo. Ive had it for about two months now and it just turned over 100K withought any problems. I have limited modle so it has all the goodies. I love how it isnt a huge suv, its the perfect size and the 4wd is amazing on this jeep. love the classic look to it and the feel of riding up a little higher then most people. I plan on keeping it until the engine goes ( figureing 300K) then hopefully rebuilding the engine. not the best on gas but a lot better then some suv's. I would buy another in a heartbeat!"

This car goes and goes and goes without breakdowns

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable to drive and ride in for hours."

Cons: "Air conditioning needs to be charged every year."

"This car is the best for my job as a rural mail carrier. This is a car on a truck base. I beat it daily having 430 stops up and down the steep bluffs of the Mississippi River Valley during all weather conditions from sunny summer days to freezing rain and feet of snow in the winter. It just keeps on going and going! I do regular maintenance and most of my repairs have been standard..brakes, oil changes etc. My only fear is not being able to find a jeep with low mileage to use on my mail route in the future. Wish Jeep would bring back this little tough truck!"

BEST CAR EVER MADE

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

"This was the first and only car I've ever owned. Bought it used 8 years ago with 85,000 miles on it and it drove as though it was brand new. Most reliable vehicle out there. Driven through floods, over a foot of snow and every type of weather imaginable never had a problem. Untouchable 4-Wheel drive, especially in blizzards when larger SUVs are in a ditch. Incredible pickup and awesome for long trips. Plan on driving this vehicle until it turns to dust. Wish they still made the Cherokee, nothing compares to it."

Great first car

By on Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pros: "great daily driver, good gas mileage, great towing"

Cons: "the back seat is small."

"I love this car the 4.0 is a beast and the fuel economy is NOT bad for a 4dr 4wd suv. It is very capable off road and will tow anything."

A real pity they stopped making the Jeep Cherokee

By on Saturday, July 6, 2013

Pros: "engine has a lot of torque"

Cons: "could have used a better steering box"

"The Jeep Cherokee is a simple vehicle with a quick peppy engine and transmission. They will go anywhere (ie up unplowed steep dirt roads). I have owned three of the Cherokees and they all were extremely reliable. Just regular maintenance like the oil and transmission fluid. You can put 300,000 miles on one easy. I did. They could have done a better design for the leaf springs. They all sag after about 125,000 miles. The steering is a bit sloppy- don't buy a new steering box- they are all the same. But overall the Jeep Cherokee is a really well made vehicle. Adequate cargo space, good visibility, and most importantly - they hold the road. Why did Chrysler to give up a sure thing?"

Not bad for a cheap 4WD

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

Pros: "4WD, Looks."

Cons: "Shaky ride."

"I recently purchased a 99 Jeep Cherokee SE. 4.0 6cyl. I had to replace 2 universal joints, and an A/C compressor. The 4WD works great. It looks good, inside and out. As for daily driving, it's a bit shaky. There's always something vibrating. For a 14 year old vehicle, it's really not bad."

Best car ive driven

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "Amazing offroad ability, fun to drive."

Cons: "small doors and cramped back seat"

"My family has always driven jeeps. Although i did own an acura cl and a volkswagon passat. But the jeep cherokee has never failed me yet. It starts, and goes everywhere i need to go. The outside looks great and is nicely designed, the inside is all practicality, without the useless touch screens and digital speedometers. This car is simple and to the point. Its meant to be driven and get from point A to point B and do it reliably. However,Its not the best on fuel but it does alright. Overall i love this car and will drive it until it rust into the earth."

Best Vehicle Very Strong

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "everything about this car is a pro"

Cons: "Back seats are not fun to sit in for long time"

"My family has had this Jeep Cherokee sport 4.0 2000 N-line6 and we have never put more than a thousand in work on this car and it is at 177k and going on 13 years. When I mean amazing strong lasting they did not lie. The only down fall is the 18 to 21 mpg! Very strong. I feel very safe and I love the power it has because I know it will get me where I need to go. We have drove this car all across America and Threw parts of Canada since we got it new in year 2000. I Love this car and because of it I have been stuck on loving Jeeps. I have been able to pull trucks out of ditches. Use it to haul my boat. Everything!"

should have kept it

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Reason: supposed trade up

Pros: "an actual QUALITY vehicle, will last and last"

Cons: "no back seat headrests, not a powerhouse"

"I sold my 2000 Cherokee Limited to buy a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II SE7. I know now that I should have just kept my Jeep. Maintenance, which it seldom needed, was inexpensive. It was easy to find a mechanic. It would drove almost anywhere the average person could take it. The interior lacked back seat head rests, and the rear doors were small, making the back seats somewhat difficult to get into. The cargo room was adequate, and the seats folded down for added room. Head room was fair, and the cockpit fir will for the average size person. I got between 18-23mpg depending on where I was driving. I wish I would have kept this vehicle."

Best vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

"I wish they still made this style Jeep. I love it, I bought it when my second son was born. He's now 11. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. It gets me anywhere and with the winters and springs we face here in Maine that can be quite a task. This particular model is very basic in features. So not a super comfy ride, but it isnt terrible either. Obviously this vehicle isnt meant for the indy 500 so I cant fly around corners because it wont end well. But I think thats a small negative to all the positives it has going for it. All in all if they still made this style jeep I would be in line for a new one...."

Nothing fancy, just a good overall value

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"This is our 3rd Jeep Cherokee. First one sold at 200,000 miles. Second, traded at 140000 mi for a new Liberty, and current one has 114000 and going strong. Very simple, straight forward vehicle. 4.0L engine very reliable. . .none of them every used oil. Just returned from a 3200 mi roundtrip pulling a boat, no problems. Poor gas mileage based on today's standards. I've had to have front suspension work on 2 of the 3 Jeeps. Not to be expected considering I do nothing off road. A good vehicle for just knocking around."

i love my jeep

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "been great to me"

Cons: "isnt made anymore"

"its been great to me since the day i bought it. i wish they still made this style and motor(4.0 straight 6). i would get another one. hardly put anything into it. havent had to replace much. still gets 19-22mpg depending on driving.i want another."

good car

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "great off road powerfull looks cool"

Cons: "gas millage small mechanical issues"

"i have only had minor problems with the car in 130000 miles and off road its a bamf so over all very cool car"

Owned for 11 years, couldn't be happier with it

By on Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive, hauls things, durable"

Cons: "no comfort details or electronics"

"This was the first car I ever bought. I got it with minimum fussy electronics to break and with the most fun options to drive (manual transmission and 6 Cyl engine). I drove this car across half the country many times, alone, day and night. From Jersey to SC to New Orleans, back and forth 2x a month for family reasons for half a year. I had long commutes on bad roads for much of the time. It's not the cutest car to some, it is a fun/rough drive depending on your perspective. Excellent turning radius, fabulous pickup, high undercarriage. I've gone over medians to avoid getting stuck in snow, without 4WD and it is perfect. It has no bells and whistles. But this car has NEVER broken down on me. Not once. It is bouncy and fun to drive, easy to clean and fix, no 4WD with big bills, none of the issues of the Grand (AC problems and all). It has NEVER let me down. I may never sell it. My five year old hopes he can drive it in ten years. And I would let him. They don't make them like this anymore. I also drive a Sienna."

great car

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "lots"

Cons: "few"

"Love my jeep it is good for hauling stuff lots off room with seat taken out and folded down only disadvantage some parts hard to find rough ride u get used to it though mot very fancy sorta basic fun to drive good for off road driving lots of possibility for making it look cool and lots of aftermarket stuff available online can trick it out easily to fit your style good dependable reliable fun vehicle the disadvantages are very few and easy to get used to great vehicle to learn to drive in had it since i was 16 an will have it as long as it will last me"

Not bad at all

By on Saturday, January 1, 2011

"This vehicle has never left me stranded. eats brakes though"

One of best I've ever owned

By on Monday, September 27, 2010

"I bought my '98 Jeep 3 years ago from the place I work. It had 230,000 miles on it and I got it really cheap. I originally bought thinking it would be just a clunker to get back and forth to work. But after driving it to and from work the last 3 years and driving it to my daughters basketball tournements I've fallen in love with it. It's not the fanciest looking but it has been a work horse for me. I seriously don't think I could have gotten to work multiple times over the couple wintes if i didn't have it. I LOVE it. I've got it up to 233,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. If and when it does ever die on me I plan on buying another Jeep about the same age cause I love this truck."

the XJ

By on Monday, August 23, 2010

"I had a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, the XJ. It broke my heart. I loved this thing. I had lifted it, put some mud tires on it, I had a Safari roof rack with Warn lights, etc etc. The dang thing broke all the time. I paid 4200 for it and spent close to 6k over 3 years keeping it on the road. transfer case, radiator, power steering, and every window regulator. The Jeep was not as reliable as my Mums Land Rover. Now thats saying something. I finally had to let her go. At least I looked rad though"

A reliable SUV

By on Thursday, August 5, 2010

"I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport. Had a 93 Sport before this. The 93 was bullet proof. The only reason I got rid of the 93 was because I needed cruise control due to a 100 mile roundtrip commute. The 01 had the dreaded cracked cylinder head, but it still ran strong as long as I filled with coolant about every 2 weeks. I have driven the vehicle on 1200 mile road trips and commuted 500 miles a week for 5 years. Other than the cylinder head, had a few electrical gremlins (front speakers quit working, oil pressure gauge does not work after engine warms up), but overall this Jeep has been pretty reliable. The Cherokee is twice the vehicle that the Wrangler is, for half the price!!! Chrysler should bring back the Cherokee or at least put the I-6 in the Commander."

Reliable transport, utility, and capability.

By on Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"This Jeep has been an awesome vehicle. I got it used in terrific shape, and it has served me great for over 20k so far. It looks great, sounds great, is nice to drive on the highway, and the offroad ability completely stock is fantastic for what I need it for. In the Southern Alberta winters, it gives that extra traction to get around when everyone else is stuck at home. Carries 4 comfortably, holds a lot of cargo, and can tow a boat or a small trailer with no problem. Fuel economy is pretty good for an SUV. I get around 19 mpg city, and nearly 24 on the highway if I really baby it. I've just done regular maintenance and one 0-2 sensor that went at 120 000 miles."

Bulletproof- would buy again in a heartbeat

By on Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"This was my first brand new car in 2000 and it has been absolutely bulletproof. My car looks exactly like the image shown above, black limited. Looks terrific, drives great. Extremely practical with generous space in the cargo area. We bought another similar SUV in 2008 for our other vehicle, but use this Cherokee when we need to throw more gear in the back as its design maximizes usable space. Also have a tow hitch used for a hitch mounted bike rack in addition to ski roof rack. I often look in parking lots to see what car I would prefer over this one and I have yet to find one. The Cherokee has easily handled class IV roads, held plenty of our fun gear, blasted through well over a foot of snow and deluges of rain. Also has earned its keep pulling a few stumps out and a vintage car in tow. Even has enjoyed some fun nights at the drive in with the hatch lid open to the screen. The Cherokee has also taken its share of abuse from other knucklehead drivers t-boning it from both sides of the front wheel wells, but the Cherokee kept rolling without a hitch. It did need minor repair work, but it knows how to take a punch. Decent mpg (~20 mpg) for the utility if driven correctly. I tend to enjoy its acceleration myself. A lot faster than some other cars I have driven. Can be a bumpy ride at times, but swallows boston potholes like no other car can. No major problems other than routine maintenance. I would stack its quality against any other domestic or import. Jeep, why did you ever stop making these? I often lament having to get this car’s replacement, but everyone I talk to always says to hang onto it regardless of age and mileage (10 years, 102K). I’ll keep it forever if I can."

Fleet

By on Monday, March 8, 2010

"I'm the proud owner of four, my son drives one(set up for offroad) 1993. My daughter has a 1994. I have one I call the beater, 1990 with 336.000 miles on it and just keeps going. I also have a 1998 which is my daily driver. Easy and cheap to repair (if) it breaks. Buy one, but always check the floor boards, I think this might be their biggest weakness (rusty floorboards) easy and inexpensive to get repaired. You must put the gas usage in the budget, this is a must, they are hungry."