ZIP code

2000 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 861 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Amazing Vehicle

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"This 99 is my 2nd one. My 87 went over 350,000 without a second thought. Almost trouble free, and only minor issues, (sensors, A/C compressor, things like that) but what can I expect for 350,000 miles. I used it, abused it, neglected it, and put it through things that would destroy the best of them. After I sold it to a friend, it got passed around his family for about another 5 years. It did hit 500,000 before I lost track of it. Even at that point, not even the valve cover was removed. That 4.0 is amazing. I have 84,000 on my 99 now, and it has never let me down, never stranded, always starts right up, even in -30 degree weather. I had to put a fuel pump in it, due to a short span of hard starting, But I expect at least that. What a fantastic truck. A little tight for front legroom, but changing the seat tracks to power helped a ton. If it got totalled today, I would replace it with another exactly like it. There will probably be one in my driveway till the day I die."

Dependable

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"A vehicle to get you from point A to point B, even in inclimate weather. Not comfortable, and drives like a tractor. But if your a person who's primary concern in a vehicle is the basic function of reliable transportation no matter the weather: This is the truck for you!"

By on Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"Bought a 99 XJ. 205,000 miles later, replacing only the clutch and a wheel barring, my jeep still starts every day. Great car. The usual replacements: breaks, tires, oil. Nothing can stop this Jeep. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I do have a honda for a gas saver with my high millage commute when gas went through the roof, but I still drive my jeep every day. Inline 6 was the best engine ever built. Can take anything you throw at it. It is almost like a work tool. I use it for everything: towing, 4x4, pulling bushes out, tailgating. LOVE IT"

Best value

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"My 2nd Cherokee- first was an 88 Wagoneer LTD. Which I should have kept. Bought this 98 Sport used in 00 w/ 26K mi., and now have 180,000+ on it and it runs as strong as ever- maybe better. Did have to replace the rotors like everyone it seems, but very strong maintenance record otherwise. Needs a split rear seat, but still very functional and versatile. Towing and offroading no problem. Look for the full time/part time tranny feature if you can find it- great for mixed road conditions (like an AWD system). Do yourself a favor and spend $60 for a K&N high flow air filter- improves throttle response, horsepower and mileage. Also added a stiffer rear leaf spring to keep rear from sagging when loaded- about $150 very well spent. Simply awesome vehicle for the money. Not fancy- but she runs and runs and runs...."

Sweet all-arounder

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"One of the best vehicles I've ever owned. It's nothing super fancy styling wise (but classic), but it does everyting well. Small enough to manuver in the city easily, and more off-road worthy than the new bling-bling SUV's of late. With a $100 aftermarket air intake my power went up a few ponies and MPG went from 18mpg hwy to 22mpg hwy (with a bike rack on top). Plenty of room and yet not too big. Great all around vehicle, Highly recommended."

Kicks Butt

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "fun...reliable...a beast in snow or off road"

Cons: "drinks gas"

"I bought my first 2001 Cherokee new and drove it for 12 years...then went out and found another after the first finally died with 250K miles on it. These vehicles are very very reliable and the absolute BEST in the winter. In the summer I drive my current beast all over the farm and hasnt gotten stuck once. Only drawback? Low gas mileage. But small price to pay for the rest."

Has been a good, reliable friend for 15 years.

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, value, convenience"

Cons: "Getting into the back seat for passengers"

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

"As a single woman, I need a reliable vehicle that I can trust to get me home, even on snowy roads. Big Red has been extremely reliable and a great value. I've kept it maintained and don't treat it badly, so it looks & runs like it's brand new. I had sports cars before so I have never been bothered by the somewhat stiff ride. I've never kept a car this long but since the design changed on the new Jeeps (which I don't like), I plan to keep it because it's so handy to have when one has just one vehicle. Besides by now, it would be emotional to get rid of such a loyal friend."

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

Most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "great handling.. i live in the desert of AZ...perf"

Cons: "speakers got scratchy after awhile"

"I am the original owner, 195,000 miles later it is running very strong. Minimal repair or problems. Replaced clutch at 130k. other than tires and regular oil changes, no problems. I just bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee/ overlander..love that too. I guess Jeep just became part of me"

Very dependable

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"I've left it out in freezing weather all week and it would start right up. The ride can be rough at higher expressway speeds. Some minor problems with the electronic mirror control and the speaker on the passenger side but the car is over 7 years old now."

30 years of Jeeps

By on Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"I have had them all, this year Cherokee or years close to it were in my opinion the best jeep ever made. I have owned all of them and have also owned other SUV but this one it both a true off road vehicle, great family hauler, third one I have owned and driven well over 200k, even with the lift kit and big tires I still get 20mpg while towing my boat. Worse mistake Daimler Chrysler ever made was discontinuing this model"

a workhorse

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"this is a real workhorse' no problems-always ready to go recommend this to everyone great car a teenager/college kid gas mileage is better than expected"

very good suv,small,parks easy

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "starts up every time,gets 26mpg on highway,"

Cons: "back seat area is small,hard to get in"

"great vehicle,as im a dodge tech its a mopar,6cly.great engine,has asian trans,should last 3-4 hundred thousand miles,ice cold air,has custom camoflage head liner,overhead console and visors,howeer im read for a grand cherokee,im big person,cant seem to find a buyer,,,"

hade it for 15 years not a problom

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "not the best mpg 15/20"

"amazing quality 15 years not one problom and mpg is 15/20 outstanding better than the land rover rang rover"

This Jeep is Bulletproof.

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "A head turner. Fun to drive."

Cons: "20 mpg, but who cares--it can go anywhere!"

"I purchased my Jeep three years ago from a lady that used it just to go shopping, etc. It had never been abused. The interior looks new and the engine, transmission are tight. I needed a four wheel drive to haul my 17' boat to and from the boat ramp. The Jeep is so clean and I have received so many compliments on it I have decided to keep it for my Sunday driver. I take it to car shows and people love it. It is garaged, and I plan to keep this Jeep for a very long time."

Reliable but Expensive.

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Lots of room, comfortable, 4x4 is a champ"

Cons: "horrible on gas"

"Great vehicle, would trust it to go anywhere, just horrible on gas. I get around 15mpg in town and anywhere from 13 to 18 hwy. Just depends on how fast I'm going. Parts are pretty expensive for it, but on the other hand I've never had to do many repairs."

Great all around vehicle!

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pros: "Go anywhere vehicle!"

Cons: "Gas mileage and tight back seats."

"Bought this car with just under 75,000 miles a year and a half ago. I have had no problems what so ever. Great off-road and not to shabby on. Not the best gas mileage but what can you expect for a 98 4.0L straight six (which is pretty much bullet proof). Very torquey and pretty good hauling power. Back seats are kinda tight for adults. Great for outdoor adventures and just as fun to take to the store. Wish there was more aftermarket options, like the wranglers."

good stuff

By on Sunday, February 24, 2008

"'98 jeep cherokee sport has been in my family for 10 years now and it's only got a few mechanical issues. no major engine problems have ever occurred. it's a great car. gas mileage could be better, but it is an SUV."

Overall Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"I just sold my 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Overall, this has definately been my favorite car. Super fun to drive, especially to play around in the snow! I bought it when it had about 74K miles. By the time I sold it, it had well over 115K miles. I did put a 3 inch lift on it which made the ride very bumpy. The oversized tires didn't help much either but it did look awesome! My only complaints were that it tended to overheat when pulling something, especially driving through the mountians of PA. I also had a bad problem with the rust. I waxed it at least every other month but the rust was ridiculous! The only reason I sold it was because I moved to FL and no longer needed a 4x4. Needed to get something a little better on gas too. I got about 15 16 mpg. I also had a small plow installed on the front. It did a great job pushing snow for a little SUV. I do recommend a lift if you are planning to do this. The front saggs alot with the weight of the plow. I actually put springs from a F150 on the front which kept it up in the air, even with the weight of the plow. Definately made the ride ruff though. If you are thinking about buying one, I would highly recommend it. It was always reliable and like I said, it was a blast to drive. It has decent power and was pretty comfortable before the lift kit and big tires. Good luck!"

great vehicle

By on Friday, December 21, 2007

"we bought this car used with around 76k on it and now almost 5 yrs later has about double that. We have had no major mechanical problems, even though this vehicle has been rear-ended twice. I love it is plenty big enough for a family of 4 and you can squeeze a family of 5 in Jennifer"

Utility

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"The Jeep Cherokee is a terrific piece of machinery. It has graceful road manors, and can carry a lot of gear off road. It gets decent gas mileage, and is good on the highway. The only thing it does not do as well as my wrangler is short turns, but this is a compromise that has to be made for good highway performance and capacity that comes with an extended wheel base."

Legendary Vehicle!!!!

By on Sunday, December 16, 2007

"Overall best Jeep of the 2001 vehicles. No other suv came close to competing with the 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic."

Great buy

By on Thursday, December 6, 2007

"I bought my jeep new in summer of 1998 and have put 221984 miles as of 12-1-2007. I have had very few problems that would be expected for a vehicle with this many miles. It is not the roomest suv on the road but I am still getting around 21 miles mpg. This motor is one of the best evermade and it is a shame that the new jeeps do not come with the 4.0."

I Hate Jeep!!!

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"I can't believe they discontinued the Jeep Cherokee. I would buy another one again and again for the rest of my life if they were available. This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few. 161000 miles in 7 years without any problems. I just need a little more cargo space now so have to upgrade."

All Time Best SUV

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Bought a 1999 used at great bargain price of $8000 in 2001. After intensive research on a reliable, low maintenance 4x4, the Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 was the top choice. It has never had any major problems, just minor normal maintenance. When something needed fixing, parts were cheap and plentiful. And you can do all the repairs yourself, since there's tons of room under the hood. You don't even need to raise the Cherokee to slide under it, since it has a healthy ground clearance. Great in all weather, even the most foul blizzards! A real winner as far as a basic do-it-all runabout, cargo hauler, and off-roader. It's compact size makes it the perfect city car too! I parallel parked the Cherokee in the smallest parking spaces in Chicago; believe me, I've not had a single problem finding street parking in the Wrigleyville area where I live."

Can't beat the 4 wheel drive

By on Tuesday, October 9, 2007

"Extremely reliable!! About the best 4 wheel drive made. Has just about the same tow rating as a truck. The I6 4.0L 242ci motor already has a good reputation for being a long lasting motor. Plenty of power faster than most all trucks in accel. Beats all trucks in top end. Tops out at 120ish not a lot of power up there though. This vehicle also has a transmission that Toyota made for them along with a Toyota like front end and telescope drive shafts. Also comes stock with better lockers than any truck I know of. I get low 20's mpg on highway. I love my Jeep."